This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeding - big time!
    However, harvesting has really kicked in now. First broad beans (I know some of you have cleared yours out but these were March sown directly in the ground), more mangetout, the first small purple topped turnips and a bunch of carrots to go with them. More loverly arran pilots, some HUGE. Oh yes, and a courgette!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Weeding & grass cutting till guess what ...............it started to rain ...........BUCKETS!!
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

• Sowed another 100 Florence Fennel(F1 Ruby), 100 Chinese Cabbage (The Blues) and 540 assorted lettuce (Amorina, Charita, Little Gem, Clarion, Red & Green Salad Bowl and Saladin.
        Started hoeing my celeriac til the heavens opened, so spent couple of hours making up signs for farm road end.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I managed to plant some 80 bleu de solaise leek plants in ground just vacated by Lady crystal 1st early potatoes.

Before doing that I was helping out a BBC film crew film three of our older members (all over 70) for a BBC One programme called The One Show. You may have seen the pilot, which was on for a month last summer. The show will launch in July as a nightly half-hour studio based programme with Adrian Chiles presenting.

The episode with our old codgers in will go out at the begining of August. To give the two BBC staff a taste of fresh produce they went home with a pile of beetroot, new potatoes, broad beans and soft fruit.

Comment

• No gardening today, had to go and look for a new fridge and freezer, the draws on the freezer have had it (tho we will be keeping it in the back bedroom with the chest freezer, hopefully to hold all the tasty veg we are hoping to harvest over the next few months) and the door on the fridge is falling off (we've had to use a wedge of cardboard to keep the light off when the door is shut for the past 2 years), but looking at prices we ended up deciding to come home, remeasure the kitchen and see whether by ripping one wall of base and wall units out whether we could squeeze in a large american style combined fridge freezer!

After that returned to the shop, got free delivery sorted and bought the cheapest one they had! Its being delivered on Sunday, so we've got to remove 5 wall units, 4 base units and the worktop, and re fit them leaving room for the fridge, all before Sunday!

Aaarrgh! Why couldnt we have decided this earlier in our holidays!!!!!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• WEEDED!!

solidly for 4 hours, the same as I did yesterday after being away for 2 weeks. That'll teach me.

Comment

• Still weeding. Sat in shed for another 2 hrs sheltering from thunderstorms. In between showers managed to plant out some nicotiana, squash, soya beans and kale. All snail food I'm sure
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I finally bought a copy of Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook this morning. Did a bit of hard graft, then I managed to get an hour or so weeding done at Lottie Lulu, and had a lovely unexpected visit from the kind man who helped me get the Lottie, by taking me to see the Site Administrator. He told me about the sneaky mole who's ruined his bean row in the past. No molehills, just tunnels....

Then a tiddly alfresco (rhymes with?) shop en-route home for cat food.

Back at the cottage, with dinner in the oven, decided to lift the set-sown shallots because they were crowding out/flopped all over the Banana Shallots.

Trousers tidied up the Sweet Peas by deadheading, until we both decided that we'd shelter out of the torrential rain, which turned into brilliant sunshine and blue sky again within ten minutes.
                  So he then photographed said shallots on the conservatory floor, and posted it on the blog for yet another update. He's going to wear my brain out!
                  Thank you for listening,

Comment

• Had busy couple of days since last post. Have sown some swede in modules to plant out when germinated and grown a bit, sown beetroot 'boltardy' in modules, sown dwarf beans 'purple queen' and climbing beans 'blue lake'.
                    Pricked out young savoy cabbages and purple sprouting broccoli
                    Weeded and mulched with straw the sweetcorn/squash bed, weeded the leeks and brassica bed. Sorted out the net over the cabbages so it looks tidier. Cut down brambles and nettles that have sprung up with the rain, weeded fruit bed.
                    Dug over a patch of ground trampled by firemen ready to sow some carrots (tomorrow afternoon probably).
                    Cleaned out chook house and mucked out the run. It will be great when the old shed is pulled down and run can be made bigger, plan to grass part of it for them.
                    Carefully clipped off heat damaged leaves from cukes and courgettes, amazingly these plants have not died and are setting fruit, still at teeny-tiny stage.
                    As the weather looks set to improve for a few days I plan to get out there as much as I can.

Kirsty
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

• It's raining again here today so I have been in and out...picked more beans...dug enough potatoes for supper, picked the last of the kale and weeded..weeded and weeded...did mostly some clean up and tying up of tomatoes..cleaned up all the debris in the beds and sorted through some new seed I bought while vacationing in FL...

Comment

• Went to see how the crops are doing, came back with 3 lettuces and plans for the cauli that's big enough to pick. Think it'll keep better on the plant for a couple more days rather than in the fridge. There are 4 courgettes that should be big enough in a couple of days. One squash plant (on ex-tattie plot) has two fruits on it, the other (on ex-bean plot) has at least 6 and more flowers!

REALLY need to weed.
                        You are a child of the universe,
                        no less than the trees and the stars;
                        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• On Tuesday I mostly strimmed and mowed all the site paths.
                          On Wednesday I mostly went looking for some fencing for my front garden and also bought some garden centre brassicas.
                          Today I mostly dealt with the after effects of an idiot driving into my nice shiny new car and consoled myself thinking about the "Best Kept" Judges who were out Wednesday and Thursday evenings in the rain.
                          Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                          Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                          I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

• Harvested some spring onions to go in a salad for dinner (laser), admired my little baby chilli plant that is fighting to survive, updated the blog, rearranged ll my pots, and dug up the patio...all in a few hours.

Rain, rain, go away...
                            Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

• Today was a washout. It cleared for about 30mins in which time I picked a dish of raspberries. Don't know how they're ripening considering how little sunshine they're getting but I am able to pick a dish ful every day. Watered all the peppers and tomatoes in the greenhouse. Could'nt get out to do anything else.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Whilst it was windy today the rain held off allowing me to harvest the last (very full) trug of broad beans and clear the haulms away.

Amazingly the ground was friable enough to rake over and plant with cavelo nero and swede modules. With them both being brassicas and there being pigeons about, the whole lot were netted over.

Over on the fruit plot, several pounds of very ripe gooseberries were picked as were some blackcurrants and raspberries.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X