Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We planted out the broccoli today, some left over beans, peas and sunflowers (might be too late for them, but couldn't throw them out )

We had plenty of broccoli left over, so we took them over to our friends plot, and got some lovely new potatoes they were digging up, yum, can't wait to try them and grow my own next year

We also put in the much needed cane for some beans and the tomatoe plants.

It rained for me too, just as we had finished planting what we needed too
    "Nothing contrary to one's genius"

http://chrissieslottie.blogspot.com/

Comment

• This morning wandered up to the top of the road and watched the Tour de France (personally 'under'whelmed - a couple of photos on the blog).

This afternoon up at the lottie weeding, digging, got the shears out and tidied up around the paths. Got "saved" from doing more digging by the arrival of the family. So No.1 daughter (Madeleine) helped dig up some potatos, a few onions and some French beans (OK I picked she watched).

Ate the aforementioned beans and spuds for dinner.

Derek
      http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

Comment

• It hasn't rained all day!!! Went to the lottie around noon, got home around fiveish. Hot, tired, sweaty, and possibly sunburnt. However, managed to get a lot done. Picked more mangetout peas, weeded lots. Cut the grass on the paths, planted out some more squash plants now I have room.

Comment

• Lottie: Forked and raked and weeded and planted peas where some of the Arran Pilot earlies had been. Neighbour's kids helped dig up some more spuds and trampled the broadies in their enthusiasm to get every last spud dug up, but they only had about 2 flowers per beanstalk so I don't really mind. At least they're interested! Put straw under the squash and courgettes.

Garden: the mr put the hanging baskets up and very nice they look too. I sowed some borlottis in modules and some sweet william and zinnias in seed trays. Potted up a feverfew plant as a gift for a friend. Got a hibiscus and planted it in the gap left when I dug the rhubarb out of the border. "Sowed" some mushrooms in a tray in a mix of straw and compost and stuck it in the shed.

(What's wrong with having rhubarb in the border? It was really handy for the kitchen door!)

Picked a couple of lettuces. Found a cabbage-white inside the butterfly netting
          Last edited by heebiejeebie; 08-07-2007, 09:02 PM.
          You are a child of the universe,
          no less than the trees and the stars;
          you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• After our huge fun photos with Fert'n'Liza Flobalob playing tennis on the lawn yesterday today we got down to some serious Lottie work.
            Trousers strimmed the boundaries whilst Wellie weeded within.
            Real progress made.
            Have all of Wednesday to myself (which is a very welcomed surprise) and so I shall be at Lottie Lulu collecting Horse Poo from the field, feeding them Polo Mints, and planting my first crops (!)
            I brought some of the soil home from the lottie today to do a pH test. Must do that tomorrow......
            Going for a quick 'dunk' in the barf now, then into my PJs and onto SNC for a quick giggle before bed.
            Thank you for listening,
            Last edited by pigletwillie; 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• good lie in after party last night
              planted couple of celery and rocket
              potted on cabbage, lettuce, celery, spinach, melons, spinach
              bit of weeding
              pulled out the overgrown rocket to start the compost bin
              tidied greenhouse
              watered everything in greenhouse
              went to mothers for tea
              came home and cut the grass - too hot and tired to collect the cuttings and put them in the compost bin
              scanned through old threads for advice etc - good stuff!

good news today:
              first pea pod - only size of mange tout but it's there
              lettuce (salading and all year round) forming nice iceberg type heads - picked one for lunch today
              swede seeds have sprouted - lots of other stuff sprouted and / or ready for pricking out or potting on - will be busy tomorrow
              next dry day is for sowing carrots etc
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

• Hooray! A much-needed dry day!
                I weedkilled the drive at the risk of it raining within 6 hours (as per pack); it was about 7.5 hours before we had rain, but then only a little.
                Did a load of weeding and watering. Deadheaded everything. Planted some echinacea. Picked 2lb of blackcurrants and 15lb of gooseberries; turned 4lb gooseberries in to 6lb of gooseberry and orange jam and 2lb in to crumble.

Comment

• not so much i did today but manged over the weekend

harvested the 1st og the garlic -- well chuffed, drying nicely
                  broccolli growing quicker then i thought so i has to increase the height of the netting.
                  harvested the 1st of the salad crops
                  smiled a lot at the amount of tomotoes and green beans starting to appear
                  cursed at the slug or snail who polished off all of my freshly seaded basil and salad crops, think i need to put the sead trays higher up

Comment

• Finished building the chooks run extension. Tidied up more rubbish. Can start planting again soon, got loads of young plants ready.
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

• did absolutely nothing in the gaeden as it rained all day. By tonight it was still raining and freezing cold. I eventually turned the central heating on.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• 26 lbs black cherries stoned and frozen and 25lb gooseberries topped and tailed and frozen.
                        Now just need to find a way to get my nails and fingers back to their original colour!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Today I finished my scarecrow for the village competition. It's our Britain in Bloom judging day tomorrow and is also the day for judging the scarecrows. The notice on the spinning wheel says 'Health and Safety Warning. Danger of Death. May contain sharp spindle.' Can you tell health and safety was the bane of my previous life? Don't mention risk Assessments!

Harvested, weeded, watered (but only in the greenhouse) and got excited about the tiny peppers and aubergines.
                          Attached Files
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• couple of hours weeding followed by slug clearance and filling gaps and holes in weed sheeting so slugs got no shelter

dug up dodgy rhubarb and potted it in large tub, see if it grows better
                            watered everything in greenhouse
                            admired the veggie patch and started making plans for next year

more good news:
                            noticed first 2 peppers today - missed them among all the green in the greenhouse
                            found first raspberry - should be ripe within a day or 2
                            found more peas (previously hidden by weeds!)
                            what i thought were cabbages gone wrong are in fact sprouts (note to self - must remember what i plant where!)

bad news - still not sown the carrots ........
                            http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

• Today I put 450 tomato plants on my compost heap (don't ask, I'll only go off on one), lifted half a drill of Lady Christl - very very impressed with both overall yield and size of tubers, cleared the oil seed rape and assorted weeds from some of my brassicas (deliberate ploy to let them grow alongside in an attempt - quite successful - to thwart my resident pigeon population,) then strimmed most of the the verges of the farm road up to my gateway, but had to stop as I ran out of strimmer line.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bad News I'm afraid.... 'Elderly Next Door' asked if I still had potatoes. "Yes" I said, and it transpired he meant 'growing', so "No" I said.... at which point he announced that all of his are showing advanced signs of Blight.
                                Fearing for my lovely Tomatoes, I suggested cutting the foliage from the potatoes to save the crop, which was met with "yes, but there's eight rows..." and my heart sank. I'm experimenting with some new tomatoes this year, and I was really looking forward to tasting them and...
                                All I can do is cross my pinkies, and see what happens in the long-run. I think I'll try suggesting that I'm available to help cut the potato foliage off with him? and then thoroughly disinfect my Felco No.4's.....

Tomorrow I have a whole day at The Lottie. I'm sure I shall get completely distracted by everything and anything, and won't achieve much, but I shall just 'enjoy it as it comes' and just anything there that pleases. With a Dry Day forecast, I'm hoping to get some serious weedkilling done around the perim, central path, and 'opposite' border to Sunday's weeding.

Thank you for listening,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X