This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions from seed.

Went to the pub this lunch with my gardening buddy. Whilst we sat putting the world to rights he gave me a little packet, with the words "here you are Col, I have all I need so you may as well have these.

The packet contains 15 onion seeds, Kelsae Hybrid, these seeds came from the man who holds the Guiness World record for the largest onion.

Now I have no intention of attempting to grow super sized onions. But I know my friend and I will have to make the effort to get a decent crop or have my nose rubbed in it next year.

My problem is quite simple, I have never in all my years of gardening grown onions from seed and have no idea where to start. I also know I could search the interweb but I have an ace up my sleeve well several ace's actually and they are all here on the Vine.

So peeps help Potty out of this one any and all advice very welcome please AP pretty please.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Colin,my advice would be to get hold of AP's phone number
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
      Colin,my advice would be to get hold of AP's phone number
      That is great advice BB I await his coming in the biblical sense that is.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

ooooh, advice like this doesn't come cheap, brilliant since it's almost Xmas andI need the extra dosh.

Seriously though matey, you won't grow a world record onion this next season as you would have needed to start off a couple of months ago to have even a remote chance.

But you can still grow decent onions even in pots starting now.

Sow in a good seed compost with the seeds just slighly covered with compost or fine vermicullite in a heated seed tray or in a growbox with bottom heat at around 18ºc(65ºf)and they should germinate after around 10 days. Keep the tray covered with glass/polythene or a clear plastic cover. More later, just get started asap
        Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 16-12-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks AP. Seed compost will be purchased tomorrow is it best to pre water it and leave it to stand at this time of year?

I don't want to grow a world record or even super large, just a decent crop to prevent embarrassment.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just as you would with any other crop matey, Damp but not wet. No need to let it stand.

Comment

as for a decent crop, i give my uncle who is over 80 some plants every year which he grows to around 3lbs in a 2 ltre pot in his unheated greenhouse.
              Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 16-12-2012, 10:42 PM. Reason: forgot my uncle's age

Comment

That would do me just fine, more than enough. My mates in his 79th year and started gardening back in the 50s so he knows his way around. But what is sometimes worse he is a perfectionist, hence this seed. He also has a panach for bringing me a ripe tomato way before mine are ready so I know what will happen next year.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Potty, the NVS website has Peter Glazebrooks method here http://nvsuk.org.uk/images/user/Grow...Glazebrook.pdf

deffo worth reading up on. Peter does go to extreme lengths to achieve his objectives. Don't let that put you off. Just scale back what he does to suit your set up and time you have available

Comment

just had a read through that webpage, It's only partially complete as there is a stack error. I've notified the webmaster so keep checking it.

Comment

Is this where the phrase "knows his onions" comes from?
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I will have a read of that got to learn somehow.

Now I know why my mate joined the NVS a few weeks ago. Crafty B****r he is.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                          Is this where the phrase "knows his onions" comes from?
                          Or in my case VVG doesn't know his onions.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I don't know mine either Potty so don't feel you are on your own. I am growing from seed this year on shallots and onions, because I want to save seed in future. I too have been following AP guidance in these threads plus Miss Zazzy's seed saving prowess.
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

In that case looks like we will be learning together. Should be fun but I think I will still have some sets just to make sure I have onions at the end of the season.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X