X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elaineb View Post
    Thanks Tattieman,

What would happen if I leave them as they are, they are now in about 10" of soil, would it just mean less spuds?

x
    There is a chance that the potatoes will pop through to the surface and turn green unless you keep them covered. You don't want green spuds as they will give you a dodgy tummy.

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
    Hmm... I think I may have made a bit of a school boy error.. I planted all my spuds (inc main crops) the weekend after st paddy's day. Having read around, some poeple are putting theirs in now still.. have I done it too early? Will it just mean an earlier crop?
    Chris as Nergas says you have done the right thing and planted them at the same time. Nature will now provide you with seperate harvest times for them.
    Not all potatoes flower and if they do it is normally a sign that potatoes are forming. I normally wait until the first stage of die back before I lift them but if you like them with skins that just fall off then pick them when the haulms are still green and healthy.
    Potato videos here.

Comment

• Thanks.. so people planting maincrops now... for a staggered harvest/later one?

Comment

• Another one from me

Are my bags "full" now? (see pic attached please) - I think they're good - having growth breaking out of the tops again already so wondering if I'd be ok moving them into their final positions (prob on decking, or in side garden perhaps).

Do they need to be in full sun, or shade, or mottled shade?

Thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
          Another one from me

Are my bags "full" now? (see pic attached please) - I think they're good - having growth breaking out of the tops again already so wondering if I'd be ok moving them into their final positions (prob on decking, or in side garden perhaps).

Thanks!
          I have some of my spuds in the garden already, in similar containers Chris and yesterday I tried to turn one slightly as it was lopsided. Be careful, they are VERY heavy and the container's not that strong
          As long as the green at the top is covered they should be OK from frosts, which hopefully won't be severe at this time of year.
          If it were me, I would move them as they are and once in position, top up once more with compost as the growth comes through what soil is already there.
          There is only so far you can "earth" up a container

Comment

Another one from me

Thanks!
            I'm topping mine up to about an inch from the top.

Then in a week or so I'll be putting them in the garden.

I understand that they like a sunny position as well.

Question for tattieman from me though:

I think I planted my FE's when the ground at the lottie was just a bit too wet and cold as about 2/3rds of the bed isn't coming up (they're Ulster Classic). I have had a root around where they're not coming up and have found two rotten spuds :-( .

I'm worried that leaving rotting spuds in the ground might adversely affect the crop that is growing. Should I try to locate and dig up the rotting spuds or leave well alone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
              I have some of my spuds in the garden already, in similar containers Chris and yesterday I tried to turn one slightly as it was lopsided. Be careful, they are VERY heavy and the container's not that strong
              As long as the green at the top is covered they should be OK from frosts, which hopefully won't be severe at this time of year.
              If it were me, I would move them as they are and once in position, top up once more with compost as the growth comes through what soil is already there.
              There is only so far you can "earth" up a container
              Yeah, I used the handles, and one ripped off - I've complained to the manufacturer (as I'm a cheeky sod) stating there was no warning that the handles would not hold with a sack full of comppost Worth a shot anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I used the handles, and one ripped off - I've complained to the manufacturer (as I'm a cheeky sod) stating there was no warning that the handles would not hold with a sack full of comppost Worth a shot anyway.
                Well, I wouldn't be able to complain as the sacks were not designed for compost but as pop up bags and since mine only cost £1 (guess where from) they would probably tell me "on yer bike" or words to that effect!!!!
                Last edited by Sanjo; 02-05-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
                  I'm topping mine up to about an inch from the top.

Then in a week or so I'll be putting them in the garden.

I understand that they like a sunny position as well.

Question for tattieman from me though:

I think I planted my FE's when the ground at the lottie was just a bit too wet and cold as about 2/3rds of the bed isn't coming up (they're Ulster Classic). I have had a root around where they're not coming up and have found two rotten spuds :-( .

I'm worried that leaving rotting spuds in the ground might adversely affect the crop that is growing. Should I try to locate and dig up the rotting spuds or leave well alone?
                  They will have rotted in the ground due to adverse conditions.
                  Don't worry they will not cause any problems for the other potatoes in the plot and will just turn to mush.

We are just planting our seed potatoes now as the weather has been too cold.

Hope that helps.
                  Potato videos here.

Comment

• If I move my planters out of a small shed I have (doors open completely one side to let the light in) and the weather gets a bit cool (forecasted 3 degrees Monday & Tuesday nights) do I just need to drape fleece over the halums (is that the right word?) - the shoots are probably 6-8" on some of my spuds above hte top of the bags now.

Or should I build a frame around them and put fleece on them then?

Comment

If I move my planters out of a small shed I have (doors open completely one side to let the light in) and the weather gets a bit cool (forecasted 3 degrees Monday & Tuesday nights) do I just need to drape fleece over the halums (is that the right word?) - the shoots are probably 6-8" on some of my spuds above hte top of the bags now.

Or should I build a frame around them and put fleece on them then?
                      Tramps cover themselves with newspaper on a park bench to keep warm. I will use the 'tramp' method, unless its windy of course!

To ebaorate, I am growing mine in rolled down used fertiser bags. If frost threatens I will unfurl the bag fully and pop a newspaer over the top.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Aye, I'd do the same but my spud shoots are really tall now - from the top of the bag already!

Comment

• wow tattieman! Looks like a big operation you've got there. I've only a fraction of that! Four of those green poly sacks, two well chitted seed potatoes per sack, each sack planted a month(ish) apart. I used to know what they were, I've since forgotten.

Just double checking my gen. When the plant flowers, nip off said flowers and pull a few peripheral earlies leaving the plant and 'central' potatoes for your main. When the plant dies off well, pull your main. Have I got that right?

(Clueless newbie who doesn't know squat, reads alot and just 'hits and hopes' . First attempt.)

Edit:
                          Have just read the bulk of this thread and I feel like such a dim-wit! (Not used to having this proven! )

I didn't cover any shoots when they were growing. I shored up the plant, but didn't want to cover the foliage. I have a pretty well established first planting sitting in about a foot of soil - have I just shot myself in the backside?

I only ask because I'm aiming for a rolling crop, so I have varying stages of plant. And is covering the foliage the potatoe equivalent of 'forced' growing rhubarb?
                          Last edited by Elise; 16-05-2010, 10:46 AM. Reason: Evidence of my stoopidity! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elise View Post
                            wow tattieman! Looks like a big operation you've got there. I've only a fraction of that! Four of those green poly sacks, two well chitted seed potatoes per sack, each sack planted a month(ish) apart. I used to know what they were, I've since forgotten.

Just double checking my gen. When the plant flowers, nip off said flowers and pull a few peripheral earlies leaving the plant and 'central' potatoes for your main. When the plant dies off well, pull your main. Have I got that right?

(Clueless newbie who doesn't know squat, reads alot and just 'hits and hopes' . First attempt.)

Edit:
                            Have just read the bulk of this thread and I feel like such a dim-wit! (Not used to having this proven! )

I didn't cover any shoots when they were growing. I shored up the plant, but didn't want to cover the foliage. I have a pretty well established first planting sitting in about a foot of soil - have I just shot myself in the backside?

I only ask because I'm aiming for a rolling crop, so I have varying stages of plant. And is covering the foliage the potatoe equivalent of 'forced' growing rhubarb?
                            Tattieman and others have suggested removing the flower to allow the plant to concentrate on making spuds. Other members grow the flower to save the seed (there is a link on here somewhere).
                            You can do what we call "having a furtle" ie CAREFULLY dig around the outskirts of the plant to remove usable spuds and as you say leave the others to grow on.
                            When you say "main" are you referring to maincrop, which are later potatoes, or are you just referring to the main stem.
                            You may not get a "rolling crop" since they seem to catch up with themselves sometimes, but then you don't have to dig them up all at the same time and that will stagger it for you.
                            And no, covering the foliage is not to "force" the plant. It protects the foliage from frost and, some say,increase the yield, certainly of maincrops although doubful about earlies.
                            It's not too late to add a bit more compost to your sacks, it certainly won't hurt your plants and no you haven't shot yourself in the backside!!
                            Last edited by Sanjo; 16-05-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Hi Sanjo

The first thing I did when I got off this thread is chuck more compost at the spuds! They're in just over a foot (with the plant sitting a good foot and a bit above that) I think at least two lots should be ok. The third is looking decidedly behind the drag curve. Oops.

Thanks for the help though - so does that mean I can start to pull up the first lot when the flowers start? Or do I have that wrong? There's a big difference between the plants, that's why I was hoping that the crops would all come about at different times.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Sanjo. Thanks again.

Comment

• I'm not the expert Elise, that's our Tattieman. First of all, what potatoes have you got ie earlies, mids or late croppers. Early potatoes don't always flower (found that out last year - some did, some didn't) so it isn't an indication as to whether they are ready or not. With earlies you'll have to go by the date you planted them. Earlies take, I think, about 12-14 weeks depending on what they are. Mids and lates, which will flower, will be 15 weeks plus.
                                As I said, if they have been in the bag around the 12 week mark you can carefully tip the bag to see what state the spuds are in. Feel around the compost and remove any that feel big enough to eat. Be careful not to break the main stem. The tiny potatoes left can then grow on a bit longer.
                                Are all the spuds the same kind, did you plant them all on the same day.
                                PS Oops just been back and re-read your original post so see they were planted about 4 weeks apart and you don't know what they are. All I can suggest is that, as long as they have been in the compost for at least 12 weeks, you have a little feel around and see what is happening. I'm sure somebody more experienced can add to this but as long as you are careful you should be able to get at the container and have a little dig.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X