This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi.
    This is my first post but wonder if you can help. Do you have any reason why potatoes would turn green after they have been dug up? They are second early Kestrel and I dug them up a week ago, I stored them in proper sacks in my greenhouse and when I went to get some they have turned green. Hope someone can help

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

• They turn green when exposed to light Joyce. Also a greenhouse isn't the best place to store them. They need to be somewhere cool and dark.

Comment

• Thank you. I thought that was only when they were growing. I'll move them to my shed. One day I'll learn.

Comment

• Thank you, I thought this only happened while they were growing.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile

Comment

• Is it always best practice to buy certified potato seed every year or can I use potato seed from my clean crops that I harvested this year. Much like saving seeds form other plants??
            Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by marcofez View Post
              can I use potato seed from my clean crops that I harvested this year.
              I do, yes I store them in the salad drawer of the fridge from harvest until Feb, when I chit them
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Well I've used supermarket tatties as seed tatties. The beggars keep trying to grow, so I chop them up and pop them into the ground. Lots of luck so far.
                In fact, last years crop, I was waiting 'just a bit longer'when the magpies started scratching them out, so I had to harvest in a hurry.

Seems I wasn't very thorough at harvesting because I have about 10 plants coming up already this season. I do like a self reliant vegetable!
                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  I do, yes I store them in the salad drawer of the fridge from harvest until Feb, when I chit them
                  Thanks Two Sheds, might give it a go myself.
                  Another question, which potatoes crop well with the least or no slug damage or what do you do to minimise slug damage? cheers

Comment

• There are some varieties that are described as "slug resistant", though that doesn't mean they can't suffer. I've done well this year on the slug front. Grew Winston, Kestrel and Cara. Very, very few potatoes were damaged by slugs, though I did, late on, dig up two Cara with slugs sticking out of them. Don't know if the clean results were down to the dry summer or the claimed resistance, or the pellets put down along the path edge (slugs seem to like sheltering under the boards).

Comment

• I always plant slug resistant varieties, and when planting, sprinkle a few slug pellets, between the seed potatoes, as I plant them.
                      Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM.
                      DottyR

Comment

• I'd like to ask the question about ground preparation, last year we dug a hole in the ground, dropped a potato in and walked away, I later dug up a good pot of potatoes. However, 2014, new approach. Where do I start to get the best on year one?
                        I have a small garden at the back that at the moment is covered in grass, only used for exercise when mowing, it's on a slope however. I want to start a raised bed is it best to dig up the grass and "turf" it away :-) or do I need to dig that over, build up the sides of the bed and fill with new top soil? Do I need anything else in the soil?

Starter for 10.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• BUMPING THIS

been looking on the advance search
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• And another bump after discovering it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X