Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm planning on planting mine today, as the chits seem to look like they're about to start growing roots.. They're going in the spud sacks you can buy, if theres a risk of frost should they be brought under cover / in a garage over night?

Comment

• Chris I would put them under cover at night but just watch that you don't disturb the roots when lifting them in and out later on. You can put about 8" of compost on top of the spud to give a bit more strength to the bag.
      Potato videos here.

Comment

• Thanks.. I've read that they should be planted if they're starting to show roots - so just worried I don't want to loose all !

Comment

• Can anyone tell me when earthing up do i need to pull foilage off main stem? (1st time growing ) Thanks

Comment

• poohpouri just keep putting the soil ontop of the foliage until a peak has formed and then just earth up the side if potatoes are showing through the sides.
            Potato videos here.

Comment

• I have about 20 bags in which I'm gonna grow tatties using the earthing up/topping up method. I also have a spare bed which I am going to try deep planting method. I have put the seeds about 12"-15" deep & covered them. I am hoping they will grow at their own pace. Is this ok as I cannot find any reference on the vine.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                I have about 20 bags in which I'm gonna grow tatties using the earthing up/topping up method. I also have a spare bed which I am going to try deep planting method. I have put the seeds about 12"-15" deep & covered them. I am hoping they will grow at their own pace. Is this ok as I cannot find any reference on the vine.
                I did this last year. I excavated a trench about 10 inches deep, put in the seed tatties then covered them over and made a mound ridge. Through the growing season I just weeded, no earthing up. Easy peasy and will be doing the same again this year.
                My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

• Just what I needed to know, thanks.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Some really good info here, thanks guys.

I am trying potatos this year and have some chitting on the windowsil. Will any plastic sacks do to grow them in?

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      Some really good info here, thanks guys.

I am trying potatos this year and have some chitting on the windowsil. Will any plastic sacks do to grow them in?

Dave
                      They've got to be light proof and sturdy enough to stand up outdoors in full sinlight all season. Cheap binbags for example are not a good idea. I'm re-using my compost and grow bags.
                      My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                      My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                      My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                      My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

• Hi
                        If growing potaoes in rubblesacks as well as the drainage holes/slits i need to make in the sacks is it adviseable to also put stones/gravel etc in for drainage at the bottom.
                        I'm a bit confused as many don't articles don't mention it.
                        Thanks in advance

Comment

• Delivery!!

Just thought I would put up a post to see if I am catching on! I received my seed tatties today from tattieman - I think I got a bit carried away with the order - I have a serious ammount of seed tatties for the area!! I bought

Red Duke of York
                          Marfona
                          Kestrel
                          Edzell Blues
                          Dark Red Norland
                          Tuskar
                          Pentland Lustre
                          Maris Piper
                          Beauty of Bute

I couldnt believe the size of the bags - awesome!

Can you tell me if I am on the money - I take it that it is just the first and second earlies I should chit? Also - do they need to be chitted or is it just best practice to do that!?

Thanks for your help!

AES

Comment

• Aes if the weather is good and the soil is warm then I would plant them all just as they are. If things are still too cold then set them all out to chit as it can't do any harm to them. You have a gourmet selection there by the way.
                            Potato videos here.

Comment

• Crikey, thats a lot of tatties! Hope you have a large plot and big family to eat them all! Last year I bought 10 Kg (4 x 2.5kg packs) of Tattieman and despite giving away some earlies to friends that helped on the plot I still have half a 25kg bag full. They are past it now though, going soft and sprouting like mad! Despite our best efforts we couldn't eat them all I would hazzard a guess that each seed potato would produce about 1Kg of potatoes.
                              My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                              My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                              My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                              My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

• Okay, I planted my chitted earlies and my unchitted maincrop 8 days ago in potato growing bags. When will I see any little shoots if everything's okay and they haven't mysteriously died and gone away?
                                Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X