Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine are just coming through - only sown about 10 days ago so not bad.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• The three which popped up yesterday are now dead - talk about having green fingers Another 8 have popped up. Fingers crossed everyone

Comment

• I take it no one crossed their fingers Out of the 8 that germinated 0 survived the night I will sow more next week but put them in the greenhouse, think my house may be too warm.

Comment

• Mine are like grass! Coming up thin and fast, you might say. Himself is starting to look interested!

Comment

• Evening all!
            I sowed mine this morning - thanks to Quark for Salad Blues and Roosters and to Duronal for King Edwards. (Although out of everything I've sown so far this year, only a few tomatoes have germinated so far so I'm not exactly holding my breath )
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• My Salad Blue (Ta, Quark, you're a good 'un!) are coming up like cress. In fact, if I didn't know better.... I'd think I'd sown the wrong thing!

Comment

• Just an update. I think sowing in a propagator earlier in the year was too warm for seed germination.
                Put some seed in a pot in the cold greenhouse and they've germinated a lot quicker and more of them! Maybe a bit late for this year but I'll still give em a try.
                Next year I will sow the seed earlier but just on a windowsill instead of in a propagator!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• to follow on from snadgers update:

I now have approx 20 seedlings still at a very young growing stage. many of them have forked and produced extra leaves and the eldest of these have started to bulk out a little. After my first seeds germinated i transferred them into root trainers and placed the whole lot in cold frame and all has been fine.

I think my salad blues and Kind Edwards my have got mixed up which is a tad annoying but i'm sure all will be revealed when they produce tubers.
                  I may plant some of the root trainer seedlings into the tunnel but i fear it could be too warm for them over the summer.

Overall i think i'll plant some in potato bags, at the lottie, and in the tunnel to try and cover all the bases.

I'll try to put some photos up tomorrow.

D
                  www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                  www.outofthecool.com
                  http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Duronal View Post
                    to follow on from snadgers update:

I now have approx 20 seedlings still at a very young growing stage. many of them have forked and produced extra leaves and the eldest of these have started to bulk out a little. After my first seeds germinated i transferred them into root trainers and placed the whole lot in cold frame and all has been fine.

I think my salad blues and Kind Edwards my have got mixed up which is a tad annoying but i'm sure all will be revealed when they produce tubers.
                    I may plant some of the root trainer seedlings into the tunnel but i fear it could be too warm for them over the summer.

Overall i think i'll plant some in potato bags, at the lottie, and in the tunnel to try and cover all the bases.

I'll try to put some photos up tomorrow.

D
                    Are Salad Blue & King Edwards 'hybrid' potatoes Duronal?...because if so it won't matter if you mix em up as they will bear little resemblance to the original plant!
                    Mine are Desiree seed which are deffo a hybrid having one of my favourite earlies in there lineage Duke of York! Looking forward to seing what colour tatties I get........if I get any!
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I think mine may be Desiree as well...

I'll post a photo of the main one plus the other little ones later.

Comment

• Mine haven't even germinated! (yet?)
                        Sown on 22 March in peat free compost.
                        Anyone else in the same boat or should they have come up by now? They are outside in an unheated plastic mini-greenhouse. Too cold?

Comment

• I sowed some months ago in a propagator and four germinated and got leggy whilst waiting for the others to appear!

I sowed some others recently and just put them in a cold greenhouse. These have germinated well and also the original pot now in the cold greenhouse has lots more appearing.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Thanks Snadger.
                            Haven't any more seeds to resow but will give the original lot a bit more time before I sling them on the compost!!
                            Last edited by Demeter; 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• I think you're right snadger. Certainly the Kind Edwards are hybrid potatoes but i don't know if the salad blues are. It would be nice to have some blue potatoes but at this precise time everything is in the hands of the gods/genetics!
                              www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                              www.outofthecool.com
                              http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

• after abject failure in my first batch I have about 20 seeds left from the salad blues from Quark1, i will try them again though but I think I will just sow in a pot and place in coldframe, I think my window sills are just too warm (good for peppers and toms though)
                                Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                                Bob Dylan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X