Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Righty Oh - I've got the itch to plant some seeds! I'm thinkning that if people have a plethura of seeds than we could try the following

Plant batch A some time now.
    Plant Batch B in Feb
    C in March
    and
    D in April.

Should one of the Moon planters wish to supply dates that would be helpful. When i did this last year i planted them outside in a cold frame at easter. But i'm thinkning that trying to get a head start could be benificial. (especially if they mature earlier)

Good Luck to all.

D
    www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
    www.outofthecool.com
    http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sowed a few of my seeds on 8th January in the conservatory. Nothing I've sown so far has germinated yet but I'm keeping an open mind
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I'm a bit worried whether my seed is viable so shall have to sow some soon to find out.
        Believe it or not I still have some straw coloured Tattie apples outdoors and may try and get some seeds from these as well. Because this is experimental seat of the pants stuff I'm not sure whether the seed should be stratified, these outdoor tattieapples surely will be by now!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

righty ho i'm going to plant some viable seed from last years lot, this years kind eds and some salad blues (as sent by quark)

i think i'll stick them in the propagator and see how they go.

Best of Luck.

D.

I've found a blogger whose done this before......have a look
          http://www.theextremegardener.com/bl...y/seed-saving/
          Last edited by Duronal; 14-01-2009, 08:02 PM.
          www.outofthecool.com

Comment

More info on germination and uses can be found here

http://www.cipotato.org/library/pdfdocs/TPS19266.pdf
            www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Duronal, that's a really interesting blog 'The Extreme Gardener' ... fascinating bean talk too. I've bookmarked it, thanks
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I shall be sowing the salad blues week starting 9th Feb, which is the full moon quarter that's the moon planting time for 'roots'
                Last edited by BrideXIII; 29-01-2009, 02:39 PM.
                Vive Le Revolution!!!
                'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I'm thinking that the plant when it grows a bit can't go out till much later in the year. We plant the seed potatoes in March here but earth them up each time they come through until there's no more threat of frost. I need to feel sure that my liitle plant is strong enough before it faces the Big Wide World. Might leave them another month or two to sow.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I was going to try and plant a few blue salad seeds but feel it is too cold and will be too cold for a fair while yet. So, will delay planting until March.

Comment

well mine are going to be grown in containers so i am going to risk it, the buckets can stay indoors until its warm enough to put them in the greenhouse.
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!
                      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

OO OO OO !! The pot with the little potato seeds I sowed on 8th January has got 2 germinated! I had them on the side in the conservatory till a couple of days ago, then put them in the heated propagator (cos there was a space). Think I'll leave them in there for a few more days then bring them onto the kitchen windowsill. Wish I knew what the variety is though

Comment

I planted the Picasso seeds I retrieved last year. Problem was that as they were wet after extraction, I put them onto a piece of kitchen towel. As they were small, I left them on there and they subsequently welded themselves to the paper.

Last weekend, I decided was a good time for planting of said seeds Instead of trying to prise them away individually from the paper, I cut around small clumps and planted each clump into a separate modeule. There are 48 modules and I am hopeful that when I next look into the propagator tonight, there might be some sign of life.

Skotch
                          Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Mine were stuck to kitchen roll too, I just cut out a little square of them and put it on top of the compost then a sprinkling of more compost on top. I've still got some seeds left that I'll try later on

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                              Wish I knew what the variety is though

They will be a completely new variety Maureen. I don't think it matters what you start with - each seed gives a different plant - so if you get a dozen germinating you'll have a dozen individuals. Select out anything you feel is special and save some in the salad box of your fridge till this time next year. Maureen's Marvel - a star is born!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                                They will be a completely new variety Maureen. I don't think it matters what you start with - each seed gives a different plant - so if you get a dozen germinating you'll have a dozen individuals. Select out anything you feel is special and save some in the salad box of your fridge till this time next year. Maureen's Marvel - a star is born!
                                Ooooooooooooooo what a good idea I like the sound of that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X