No announcement yet.

Finally, an allotment (I hope!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frost won't penetrate 6" deep so you should be ok to put a few spuds in. Mine have been in for a few weeks.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If you can get some tinfoil around the pots/trays on the windowsill it will help prevent the seedlings getting leggy - shiny side toward the window.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
        If you can get some tinfoil around the pots/trays on the windowsill it will help prevent the seedlings getting leggy - shiny side toward the window.
        Do you mean behind the seedlings, facing the window? I'll give it a go!

We've put spuds and jerusalem artichokes in. I dug trenches, put the tubers in then filled with some MPC and soil. Fingers crossed. We were very excited to reach the "first things in ground" milestone. Mr. TC's dad was a carpenter before he became a househusband. Yesterday we helped him clear out his garage and rescued loads of decent wood. We have some shelving for our shed at home, loads of treated wood which will form part of our raised beds, and some 1X1 and 1X2 which will be good for cages/munty frames etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChemist View Post
          Do you mean behind the seedlings, facing the window? I'll give it a go!
          Yep, 'zackly! Seedlings still face the light a bit, but they are much less leggy thanks to reflected light.

Congrats on getting the supplies of wood - very very handy!
          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, 'zackly! Seedlings still face the light a bit, but they are much less leggy thanks to reflected light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54539[/ATTACH]

Congrats on getting the supplies of wood - very very handy!
            Thanks for the tip. Off to further junk-ify my windowsill with bountiful amounts of foil

Comment

If you REALLY want to junkify....I put stacks of books up between the gravel trays holding my seedlings, slap a plank of shelving on top and hey presto, a second shelf for seedlings!

OH hates this time of year....

Comment

...hey presto, a second shelf for seedlings!
                What a fabulous idea! Heading off to bookshelf now...
                Last edited by spinningsue; 28-03-2015, 12:50 PM. Reason: a bit overzealous with the 'd' key...

Comment

We've now sown PSB, carrots, leeks, beetroot, potatoes and jerusalems on the plot. We dug trenches were we were going to plant and filled it with MPC and sieved soil...so we now have four beds all planted and finished!

Next job is a big bed for sweetcorn and squashes, and a legumes bed. I don't know how I'll fit in all the legumes we're planning! I wanted to build a munty frame but I'm now wondering if rows of X shaped canes with a plank between might be more space efficient for the different types of beans.

I've sown PSB in a 10X4 bed. The way I've sown will mean I'll have one row down the centre with 4 plants about 2ft apart.

As these plants will take a long time to mature, and there's loads of space around them, could I grow a faster grow crop (I was considering pak choi) around the outside, or is there anything better I could fit in around?

Comment

I often under plant brassicas with lettuces as they are quick to grow. Radish would work as well I guess.

Comment

A good spacesaver for growing beans is to put arches from one bed to another over paths. This gives you the beds to plant what you like & you can just use the edge for your beans.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        A good spacesaver for growing beans is to put arches from one bed to another over paths. This gives you the beds to plant what you like & you can just use the edge for your beans.
                        I do that too! Cucumbers and squashes also climb up them very happily.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it! We had very strong winds last night and I had trouble sleeping as I was worrying about all my seeds blowing away. In the cold light of day and in a state of full consciousness I'm now just excited to see them come up

Comment

Managed to get 50m MDPE for £15 - bargain!

Also popped a tool storage box up there. OH and I are going up on Friday with little J to try and get another bed dug, for the legumes.

Comment

Its amazing how much you can get done in such a small amount of time. I have got one area to dig now and the new area I have got. Then its just a case of keeping on top of the weeds.
                              Glad you are getting so much done
                              sigpic

Comment

Today I resurrected Colin the Coldframe, dug over two beds (we now have a total of six, all full of plants/seeds), erected a pea and broad bean frame, planted more potatoes, sowed more seeds and moved some piles of turf. We also repotted some tomato plants, planted some gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes in our garden and did lots of weeding.

Now planted/sown in the allotment:

Maincrop potatoes
                                First early potatoes
                                Jerusalem artichokes
                                Sugarpeas
                                Broad beans
                                Swiss chard
                                Purple sprouting broccoli
                                Perpetual spinach
                                Leeks
                                Carrots
                                Beetroot

At home:

Carrots (already coming up!)
                                Selection of herbs
                                Gooseberries
                                Strawberries
                                Blackcurrants
                                Lettuce
                                Chinese leafy vegetable (can't remember which one!)
                                Rhubarb

Today we were gifted some gooseberry bushes (passed some of these on to our neighbour at home who was very grateful), blackcurrant bushes, strawberry runners and pallets for another composter.

The allotment is starting to look cultivated, with 6 ten foot beds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X