No announcement yet.

Finally, an allotment (I hope!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSB, beetroot, lettuce and radishes are all up! Very exciting! Today I spent most of the morning moving huge clods of turf from the middle of the allotment to a huge pile, and putting up some blue pipe to protect the PSB bed from the birds.

I used thick cane, pushed it deep into the ground, threaded on the pipe and then pushed that deep into the ground also. It seems sturdy enough but I've noticed many on the allotment are slowly tipping over - any tips to further fortify it. I'm also not sure how to best put on netting to prevent pests whilst allowing access to the bed myself.

Mr. TC dug out another 10X4 bed. He's hoping to do another tomorrow, and we will plant out some strawberry runners we've been given, giving us a total of 8 beds.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's looking good, TheChemist! I'm enjoying following your progress as I'm in Bedfordshire so not too far from you. I've used blue pipe this year for the first time, to steady the hoops I've tied a long bean pole along the top, knotting string at the top of each hoop. It seems really strong now. I'll be draping my net across and holding the edges down with 4pint milk cartons filled with water. I'll be able to lift a side to weed and harvest easily but the milk cartons did a good job of holding the net down last year without snagging or damaging it like planks or pegs might do.

Comment

I took a picture of one of my covered beds this afternoon, as it happens.

You can see that I keep the hoops apart by tying in canes at the highest point. I also push a sturdy post into the ground at one end (in this case it's at the far end) and tie up to that as well.

Attached Files
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thanks both! Will attach some canes across the top, when we go back up tomorrow.

Bizarrely, two plot offers came in the post today (one for me and one for Mr TC). They're both half plots. We're tempted to take on another; one is on my mums road so we would have somewhere to stop for lunch and the loo should we need to. We haven't looked at either yet as we just got the letters through, but the idea of having one just for fruit and low maintenance perennials appeals to me. I don't want to take it on if it'll be too much and deprive someone else of growing space however we're very keen!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
            I also push a sturdy post into the ground at one end (in this case it's at the far end) and tie up to that as well.
            I was going to suggest guy ropes. Joining the hoops at the top is a good idea but once one hoop goes, the whole lot goes. I like the idea of the end stake.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I need a stake at both ends on my site, or it still goes over. And I have to overlap the canes over the top to make it more sturdy - it's windy on my plot! If the hoops don't have to be a particular height (ie it doesn't matter so much for strawberries) I put the pipe on the bed diagonally to make an X and tie them at the apex. It's a very sturdy shape.

Attached Files
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I tied double canes across the top. Seems very secure but will also stake each end as suggested (I'm very clumsy so chances are it'll need protection from my flailing spade!)

I planted 60 strawberry runners today and OH dug two more beds, so we now have 9 beds, 8 of which are full. I'm going to cross the pipes for the berries a la sparrow100

Went to look at the other plot I was offered. It's cultivated, has a greenhouse and a shed, raised beds and is on a huge site which is full of cobbled together and recycled structures...I'm in love!

Comment

Oooh that other site DOES sound very tempting, doesn't it! Why not ~ as it has a greenhouse & shed on site already ~ take it and then you'll have somewhere to store stuff and grow stuff under glass before planting out

I'm hoping to get the other half of my plot back when the old guy who uses it retires at the end of the year. He also has the huge full plot behind so no reason why I shouldn't get 'my' half back which the previous tenant had let him use
                  If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Wow lots of transformation with your new allotment and congrats with the second one TC. btw where did you buy the pipe for hoops?

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                      Wow lots of transformation with your new allotment and congrats with the second one TC. btw where did you buy the pipe for hoops?
                      I found Screwfix to be good value for money:

MDPE Blue Pipe 25mm x 50m | MDPE Pipe | Screwfix.com
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-04-2015, 05:02 PM.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X