• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DataMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Is this a private site, DM?
    It's owned by the church, and run by a local (useless) estate agents.

And yes, I think it should just be a set rent per plot.

I think the agents do it this way to save the hassle of changing the rent each year.

Did I mention how useless they were...?

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    The site should be increasing everyones rate not just newcomers.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Is this a private site, DM?

Leave a comment:

• DataMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Alison View Post
    £40 isn't steep, it's more than I pay but very good value - or were you being sarcastic, I'm not good at telling with the written word, sorry. I'm probably being thick but why is it unsurprising that half the plots are empty? You don't need electricity or running water, we have neither and grow lots and love my plot.
    Hi

No, it just seems to be more than anyone else in the area pays. I know someone who has a similar sized plot a few miles away and pays less, with mains water, toilets and a shop. Maybe the plots are always greener elsewhere

Also, the agents put the prices up each year, but existing plotholders never get an increase. So my next-plot neighbour is paying £20 for an identical size to mine.

Even worse, the chap who had my plot before me, that I took over directly from, was only paying £9 because he'd had it for years - then they rate it at £40 for me !

I guess I'll have to stay for 20 years for it to seem great value.

But I don't mind paying that amount really. I love my plot, use waterbutts on the shed, and don't really need anything electrical.

As for not having a toilet....I'm lucky enough to live 150m away.

Leave a comment:

• jonny the plant pot
    replied
    Just received my letter for next year and it's £72.00 + water rates so looking at around £82 ish for a 300 square foot plot which actually measures 280 foot but what's 20 square feet between friends .....

Leave a comment:

• sparrow100
    replied
    Originally posted by DataMonkey View Post
    I pay what seems to be a very steep £40 a year.

We don't get anything for that - no mains water, power or anything. Unsurprisingly, half of the 15 or so plots are abandoned, and the letting agents are impossible to contact.

I think it's a full sized plot - I have a triangular shaped corner which is about 450 sq m.
    That's more than 3x the size of mine - we have water, but for that space I'd be paying over £100/year. More than covers the cost of a few IBCs/2nd hand water butts.

Leave a comment:

• Alison
    replied
    Originally posted by DataMonkey View Post

We don't get anything for that - no mains water, power or anything. Unsurprisingly, half of the 15 or so plots are abandoned, and the letting agents are impossible to contact.

I think it's a full sized plot - I have a triangular shaped corner which is about 450 sq m.
    £40 isn't steep, it's more than I pay but very good value - or were you being sarcastic, I'm not good at telling with the written word, sorry. I'm probably being thick but why is it unsurprising that half the plots are empty? You don't need electricity or running water, we have neither and grow lots and love my plot.

Leave a comment:

• DataMonkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jakeandlaura
    replied
    I have a full plot and I pay £32 a year. I also pay £5 to be part of the gardening club.

Leave a comment:

• New_Bud
    replied
    £28/yr for 125meters sq! (10x12.5m). Wigan Council.

Leave a comment:

• oneforrook
    replied
    Plot cost

£15 for a full plot, £10 for a half. I don't think ours have been increased in years, but the land is owned by the association, which helps.

Leave a comment:

• LittleSausage
    replied
    £25 for a full plot and £6 (full plot) for association membership. Not sure about OAP discount, but I'm sure such a thing exists!

Leave a comment:

• 21up
    replied
    Mine costs are £23-20 for 127 sq mtrs
    plus £10 for grass cutting
    plus £10 for water
    no manure no woodchip a shop on site (expensive)
    no toilet
    size is 42 foot by 24 foot for growing crops but also have the part at the top to put my shed on which comes in with the
    127 sq mtrs
    PLUS £4 to join shop not optional
    Last edited by 21up; 14-08-2016, 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot last line sorry

Leave a comment:

• Jarz
    replied
    Going back through old posts...realise I've double posted. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Jarz
    replied
    Forgot to add, we are a mid amenity site, which means that we have a full flushing toilet on site, and water tanks dotted here and there. No extra charge for any of that.

There are two gates. One has a combination padlock (small gate), and the one for vehicular access needs a key, and they now charge £25 deposit for that.

There is a small trading shed, run by a voluntary team and the Association Committee. I have been a committee member for a number of years and have returned to the role as Treasurer. Whether I will continue after this year's AGM is to be considered. The Council don't get involved in the trading shed (run from February to October, from 11-3 Saturday and Sunday), and we sell lots of stuff, including potatoes and onion sets, garlic, fertilisers (powder and liquid), canes, slug pellets. So much more. And we have a fridge and kettle and also sell cold drinks. Tea and coffee is now funded by donations.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X