No announcement yet.

Clearing an overgrown plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill and rotavate half and do the other half by more traditional means.

How time limited are you? Can you convince a few friends to help you make a start (in exchange for beers and pizza? And do pizza companies deliver to allotments???)
    Last edited by alldigging; 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I'm sure pizza companies deliver anywhere if the money is good, I don't think they do swapping for veg tho.

I'll always go for no dig! I mowed yesterday. Today laying down thick paper, covered with lucerne hay, and tomorrow will throw the delivered top soil on (oh horse poo going on this aft, early tomorrow as well if I can convince someone to go out and grab it from the paddock.

I've just got a few bit of grass starting to come thru from last years garden. Will take a photo of them later today for my blog - as it's spring here now and I'm ready and raring to go agian. We only tried the no dig last year and it was so easy, so low maintenance that half the yard (and it's a big yard) is going under this season (less mowing yippee).

You can have a look at my blog, or my album on here shows the pics of the garden start and finish. Nobody will convince me to pick up a shovel again.........except to put the topsoil on the hay. Just so much easier on your back, quicker, and weedfree-er. As for the grass weeds underneath? They either die out or they can't do any probems so you forget about them.

Just be careful using weedsprays. We have to on the rest of the farm atm, but are using every other means as well to minimise it. And if you're using manure and hay you need to make sure that the paddocks havent been sprayed with residual weedsprays as they don't break down.

If you strim/mow and lay down thick cardboard (for free from shops) then you would be pleasantly surprised by how well it kills off weeds. Give it a good try and you'll be converted!

Oh and welcome!
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X