Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing an overgrown plot

Hi all,

This question has more than likely been asked a 100 time before, but i am struggling to find the answer I'm looking for.

I started by strimming the whole lot and the intention was to dig it all over by hand and remove all the weeds that way. I then found myself in a position wherefree time is now limited. I have since on the on the recomendation of a fellow allotment holder used farmers professional Roundup. I have also been given a rotavator.

Now my question is am I right to rotavate and the spray with roundup again if/when the weeds show again?

Thanks In advance

Hi Wizzard and welcome
    Here are some recent threads about Roundup that you may like to read.
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_67804.html
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-up_63888.html

Comment

Roundup works by it being taken in via the leaves, down to the roots, so strimming weeds, etc then spraying the stumpy weeds isn't the best way if you want to use a weedkiller.

Roundup is nasty stuff mind, and it does stay in the soil, regardless of what the bottle says.

If you want the organic approach, cover the plot with whatever will stop the light getting through.. Cardboard, tarp, etc. there's a lot of info on covering plots here - it eventually weakens the weeds and you can pull them out easily.

If you want to spray, then do it before you strim.

Work with a small area, and whatever method you use- cover the rest of the plot - it'll keep weed seeds blowing on your plot and germinating etc.

Have a look at the no dig method, adapt it if you like - it usually requires a good dig to clear the stubborn weeds, but then it's easy going.

Personally - id cover the plot and clear a small area at a time. You have all autumn/winter to plan, prepare and clear

Good luck!

Comment

Hi wizzard, welcome aboard the crazy train

Checkout my blog below for help with a new plot!

The main bit of advice I can give is that once you have cleared any area, cover it with tarpaulin or anything that will keep the weeds at bay until you're ready to grow anything.

Good luck and beware the nutters on here

Chris
        My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention after strimming I left the plot for a number of weeks to allow regrowth before I sprayed it with roundup.

Veggie chicken I'll take a look at those link now.

Thanks

Comment

What sort of weeds are you trying to deal with Wizzard? And whereabouts are you? If you add your location (nearest town will do) to your profile it helps with advice.

Comment

Im near Driffield Eastyorkshire and its a mass mixture of weeds. I have already sprayed it all just wondered is it worth rotavating now and the spraying again what comes back through

Comment

I would sling the rotavator over the nearest hedge and smother the weeds with anything that I could lay my hands on... Rotavators just breed weeds! I wouldn't bother with the weedkiller either.

Persistence and starvation is the only way to keep weeds at bay.

There isn't any easy solution I'm afraid, hard work and determination is what it takes!
                My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

Originally posted by wizzard View Post
                  Im near Driffield Eastyorkshire and its a mass mixture of weeds. I have already sprayed it all just wondered is it worth rotavating now and the spraying again what comes back through
                  Sounds like annual weeds. No need for spraying or rotovating. I thought you were talking about docks, blackberries and bindweed.

Could you add your location to your profile please.

Comment

Ok I have already used weedkiller! Its mainly grass, nettles and thistles. Ill add my location

Comment

with a new plot, even a clean one, it's best to dig rather than rotovate as a rotovator tends to create a "pan" which can prevent proper drainage. If you have used roundup, the usual problem of a rotovator chopping up weeds and spreading them won't arise so don't bother too much about that as a problem but do take on board what I have said about creating a "pan"

Comment

And when you do rotavate, it either cuts roots up creating more weeds, or brings old seeds to the surface which just germinate and then, well, do what weeds do.

And you used 'professional' roundup - does that mean it is stronger than 'normal' roundup?

Comment

thats not what i call tough weeds,like bindweed,horsetail and japanese knot weed,just do a bit at a time and COVER it afterwards,you have about 6months to chip away at it,we have all been there,the little bits soon add up and then no more nasties put onto the soil,i was just as impatient to get started years ago but a very wise old gardener got me doing 10mins each night after work,i looked at it at the end of the week and was amazed....good luck whatever you decide to do..

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            And when you do rotavate, it either cuts roots up creating more weeds, or brings old seeds to the surface which just germinate and then, well, do what weeds do.

And you used 'professional' roundup - does that mean it is stronger than 'normal' roundup?
                            I believe it is Zaz. Not supposed to be used by ammateurs though.

Along with added strength goes added toxicity.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Aberdeen plotter, thats exactley what I was hoping would be said. I will more than likely dig my hand after what you have all said.

Thanks

Alot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X