No announcement yet.

Price of Allotment ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We pay £40 per year for ours which are around 90' x 30'. We get free water and a small toilet and very few restrictions.

Phil
    Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

The site that I am still not yet a member of... grrr is currently £5 per rod per year, all half plots (5 rod) this includes water and they are installing a toilet which members wont pay extra for (costs covered by the council).

So currently £25 per year, I'd probably pay more than twice that, very secure, well looked after etc etc.
      If they wanted more than £75 per year I would think again.
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

We've just decided ours will be £30 per year for 125 sq m. The site will have water, but not much else yet. There will be a £20 deposit per key, allotments can be in joint names, but if they want more than one key, then each will need a deposit. The keys will be 'copyright' or whatever the correct name is. We are twice as expensive as the council run ones in the area, but we have to be self financing, and we are not sure of the water costs etc yet. The rent is intended to cover running costs (water, insurance, membership of NALGS) and maintenance (fences, pipes and taps), but if there is a surplus we will get members to vote on what to do with it. A community area is intended, but we will be chasing grants as well.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

In Manchester the rate is £40 for that size plot, calculated at 17p per sq yd (not gone metric yet!).
          We are a Society so get to keep one-third of the income. Additional charges are £15 for 2 keys, one for the shed and one for the gate which is refundable on departure (voluntarily or forcefully).
          Councils around the country are increasing plot charges I hear to recover lost funds through the economic downturn, not fair as it's not our fault but still we use a lot of water which is a huge cost to the council.
          Since we formed the Society we have cut full-sized plots into quarters so that there are more plots available and the time wasters don't get to hog a full plot for ever whilst doing nothing but being a nuisance. Monthly plot inspections help keep things in order.

Comment

£5 for half a plot, no water, no security, lotsa bunnies. We're just outside Cambridge
            Last edited by aardvarkhome; 25-04-2011, 11:02 PM.

Comment

The site where I am is £14 for a full plot and £8 for a half if you pay within 28 days. Its a saving of £2 but it all counts. Fully fenced in and have water on site.

Comment

Cheap as chips!

Mine in East Yorkshire is £12 per year for approximately 270 square metres. There was a ridiculous 'uproar' from some plotholders because it went up 50%!!! I felt the need to remind them that it is only a pound a month, and the rise from £8 to £12 was only to cover paying someone to cut back the perimeter bushes (mature, huge ones which I for one wouldn't want to tackle).

There is no water, no fencing, no toilet, no committee. I do, however, have a shed with guttering and a water butt where I collect FREE water from the sky! I also have put up full perimeter rabbit fencing. I have a lovely lidded bucket in my shed and a compost heap - hence no need for the toilet facilities either ;-)

Where there's a will there's a way. I love the simplicity of allotmenteering (is that even a word?!) and don't want a tap, fencing, toilets a committee or a shop. I go to the allotment to avoid rules and regulations, committees and shops!!

I'd pay four times what I currently pay, for the same as I have now, without complaint (but don't tell the Parish Council I said that....)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X