No announcement yet.

Price of Allotment ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am quite happy to pay the amount for my allotment and realise it's not much a week. It does however make me a bit miffed when you see other councils charging a lot less. This is also the council who are ranked almost bottom in the uk for providing allotments per household. They are building on average 500 new homes this year and next year with no more infrastructure, or allotments. They have an initiative to provide more allotments to bring them in line with the uk average and then decided that they weren't going to act on it.

I have had many dealings with them over the years on other matters and it doesn't surprise me in the least that they are charging top dollar.
    If at first you don't succeed .. try and not be too surprised.

http://allotmenttime.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is what we pay in sunny sheffield.

1 April 2010 – 31 March 2011
      Plot Size ....Rent... Water ..Total
      Up to 200m² £11.80 £10.20 £22.00
      .201-300m² £16.60 £16.50 £33.10
      ....>301m² £21.50 £24.40 £45.90

1 April 2011 – 31 March 2012
      Plot Size .......Rent. Water .Total
      Up to 200m² £12.10 £11.50 £23.60
      ..201-300m² £17.00 £18.20 £35.30
      >.301m² £22.00 £26.90 £48.90

We also qualify for a 50% discount on the above prices if we are in receipt of a state pension, unemployed, registered disabled, a person on low income or a student on a grant.

Ours is the biggest size. As me and my pal are both dissabled we pay half price. That works out at about 25p per week each including water. Thats less than the cost of a bottle of water in the shops.
      They do cut the path side hedges once a year but each plot holder has to keep it trimmed along with the side and top hedges.

The site is secured my tall sturdy steel gates with a high security lock for which we have to buy a special key for a one off fee of £10. Give the key back when you give up your plot and you gets your ten quid back.
      We also have a society membership of £4 per year and have a meeting hut and store room where we can buy supplies on a sunday morning.
      Good value all round if you ask me.
      Roger
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Had to look this up. I'm paying £20 ground rent for a full plot and £10 for water. I'm extra lucky cos my plot is next to a stand pipe

Our allotment association has a shop/tool shop type thing that sells discount seeds and materials. Bargain membership of £1 per annum

Comment

I have 2 half plots on different allotments sites, both have water and a shop, no loo's and I pay £9 & £10 each its about the going rate for a council allotment round here, the private ones are cheaper so I told...
          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

I have had my plot for 4 years and the rent is £28 for a full plot. However, I received a letter in September informing me that the rent will increase to £75 in 2012. Whilst I understand that a rent increase may be necessary, I do feel that £47 is rather steep. My hubby had been considering taking on the plot opposite mine which remains unworked despite it being let several times over the past 4 years and the rather large waiting list for plots. He is now taking his name off the waiting list as he refuses to pay the £75. He feels that the council are cashing in on the current popularity of allotments. Again, we do understand that an increase is justified but this much? Are we being stingy?

Comment

I've paid about £50 for "half a plot". About 70 sq m (about 700sq ft?).
              But this is in west london where land isn't exactly going vacant....
              Still thats under a quid a week and I only need to dig the site a few hours 1 weekend in 4 to save more on latte's & cakes (which I'd otherwise spend) than it costs me in rent.

I suspect the other local lotties (council owned) may be cheaper though. But this one's literally at the end of my street.

Comment

Council site - there is water but only from 2 sources so if we need to fill our butts because of a shortage of rainfall it involves a lot of goodwill and very long hosepipes. We do most of the maintenance ourselves because the council is rubbish at it .. Stoke-on-Trent -
                £ 60.00 last year for a full plot and I still think that it is good value.

Comment

Mine costs just under £47.00 so it's gone up by about £1.50 since last year. We have Water, stores, toilet, muck, wood chippings (occasionally), spent hops and a brilliant store that has great discounts. The committee also organise events a few times a year to raise funds and we have shared chickens, bees and have just planted an orchard to bring in some more cash next year. It's a great site and I feel very lucky!
                  2 sisters
                  1 allotment
                  0 idea

Comment

Can't remember exactly how much mine is, twenty something for a full sized plot with no water, toilets or anything else. The Parish Council come and cut the edges occaisionally but to be honest I'd rather do mine myself as they make a bit of a mess. Am expecting it to go up to about £30ish next year but still an absolute bargain to me.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I pay £18(concession)per year should be £36 for 300 + square yards.
                      We get a skip(no bonfires),water & some times they come & trim the grass in the main gangway.
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

We pay £60 per annum full plot with water and a biodegradable toilet hut.The council have put notice in the newspapers that in order to open more local sites that the rent will increase to £100 in the next two years

Comment

Originally posted by sauzee View Post
                          biodegradable toilet hut
                          I hope it doesn't biodegrade while anyones in it

sorry, I'll get mi coat...

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                            I hope it doesn't biodegrade while anyones in it

sorry, I'll get mi coat...
                            Just make sure your'e not there if it rains

Comment

I have a compost toilet aka a bucket in my shed. It's a half plot on a private site with no water and finding somewhere to park is tricky. But I love it and have been neglecting it recently so will get down there.

Comment

My sister has just phoned me excitedly telling me she has got one of these Wyevale private allotments near Bracknell. I thought she was joking when she said it was £10 a week. I think its about 12 by 8 metres. Surely they're taking the mickey !!!!!!!!!! We pay around £30 a year and although its supposed to be a full plot they seem smaller than on other allotment sites in the area but I'm grateful to have it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X