No announcement yet.

Price of Allotment ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 2 plots both around 30m*15 on a private site.

Last few yrs been £22 each this year risen to £25 each.

This includes water(stand pipes all over),
    Manure
    Doors(seem to be constantley appearing)
    2 car parks
    And a shop.
    We can have fires and construct shacks as we like.

about 200 plots onsite.
    Last edited by jonohanson; 25-01-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Ours is £28 for a half plot, which includes water and upkeep of the 'road' that goes through the site. There are rumours of toilets being built this year but we shall have to wait and see if that actually happens or not. I would love a shop on site!

Comment

My full plot went from £17 to £19 last year, renewable in September, that includes water. Not bad at all after you get past the cost of fencing. Though we are in the countryside so I guess the price of land is cheaper than in a city/town.
        My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

I was wrong, it's £150 per year for 17' x 27' but I'm not sure how that relates to a "normal" plot size. Just need to make the most of the space now
          Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

The council should not be making money from the renting of allotments, they are not a commercial enterprise. They should be covering the real costs of running the allotments and its reasonable to accept that they have a surplus to re invest on maintenance and infrastructure upgrades.

I would put in a Freedom of information request and get all documents/information relating to the allotments and see if they aremaking a profit.

If they are get you local paper involved.

My local parish council chagre us £15 for a half plot, it includes water only. We have a meeting each year where we discuss what needs doing on the two sites and discuss/vote on any increase. They take the view that its unfair the rest of the parish should subsadise the allotements, so accept that breaking even is the goal, any surpluss is spent on whatever we agree needs doing.

Comment

Ours is £50 per year, which is not too bad for zone 2 London I think. Oh and that's for a half plot on a privately managed site.
              Death to all slugs!

Comment

Ours is £20 (concessionary) this year for a plot of 300sq yards.
                Was £18 last year.
                Last edited by bubblewrap; 25-03-2011, 07:48 AM.
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

The charge for my half plot in South Wales has increased this year from £7 to £9 per annum, mainly to cover water charges. For that we get insurance and water laid on (one tap between two plots). We also have a small "shop" (ok - it's a large shed!) which sells compost, bean poles and the like at a discounted rate.
                  It's on a privately owned site and I think I'm very lucky indeed to have got it.
                  Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

We paid nothing last year as the council wanted to ease everyone into the increase,it has gone from £13 to £15 this year and up to £30 next year.
                    They are setting the charges at 15p per square metre.
                    We have a shop on a Sunday,water from March to September(not that we need it) and toilets at these times as well

Comment

Just has a letter from the council for next years rent and gone up from £13.50 to £24, not a huge increase luckily seeing what others are paying, still worth every penny!

Comment

Originally posted by gothmaga View Post
                        Just has a letter from the council for next years rent and gone up from £13.50 to £24, not a huge increase luckily seeing what others are paying, still worth every penny!
                        That is an 80% increase. If that increase is more than the increase imposed upon users of other council owned recreational facilities, it is discriminatory and therefore unlawful. Harwood v Reigate and Banstead Council(1981 Chancery Division of the High Court).

Comment

Just got our reminder and it's gone up a whole 20p to £21.20 . To be honest I had to look up last year's bill as I was convinved it was more than that last year but discovered it wasn't. I think this is absolutley brilliant value.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well I pay a very respectable £10 for approx 300sqm, don't do rods.

Its fabulous value for money, my first year I had it half price cos it was in a state.
                            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I too am in Northampton and pay £30 per 6 pole plot, toilet,shop, wood chippings,secure and with key to large gates, water. Love it

Comment

I've only just been allocated my plot and it's 5 poles (no idea how big that is exactly until I get a moment to nip down there) and costs me £12 per year.
                                They do rotovate it at a cost of £15 +vat, there are several water points and a secure key coded gate. But that's about it from what I can tell at the mo.

I really must get down there and see the plot and decide what to do with it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X