I am allowed on a Private plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
    Could you go there at about 9.30pm tonight to collect the slugs,they’ll all be in that area again,a beer trap would work,just bury a container sticking out the earth by about an inch so beetles don’t fall in,with a rain cover because it will probably rain you said in the past you don’t like to kill the slugs,is that still how you feel because although beer will end up killing them,they have a good night partying first
    The x 2 beer traps have worked getting around 100 small and some larger slugs. Hopefully that will be the culprits dealt with. Not ideal killing the poor things but better than slug pellets. I have emptied them both and left the dead slugs scattered around the plants as a warning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230913_111829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,018.0 KB ID:	2568485
    Last edited by Marb67; 13-09-2023, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Well, that's a lot of slugs! I would keep putting traps out though, or they'll just be replaced by a new wave.

I asked a vegetarian friend of mine who largely feeds herself year-round from her allotment if she killed slugs and snails. Yes of course, was her answer - they're eating my dinner!

No-one likes killing other creatures, but when you think of it like she does, what choice do we have. They will eat the lot if left unchecked.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

And yet in my small garden they are not a problem. I haven't any more traps or beer so will have to keep clearing out replenishing with a bit of water. It's very very depressing but the guy who shares the land hass successful beets and parsnips that were untouched. If this continues I shall have to think about giving it all up.

Comment

Hi Marb67,

I do hope you persevere as you've done so much hard work.

A patch which has been overgrown & neglected is such a lovely breeding ground for slugs but by getting it back into working order, depleting the numbers & continuing the maintenance it should get better as time passes. We had a real slug problem at home at one time but night-time torch missions brought their numbers down quickly & although we still have a few knocking around the number have stayed low enough to make them an irritation rather than a force of destruction.

Try to think of any harvest you achieve this year as a bonus given the limited time you've had & focus on how much better things might be next year. x

Comment

I have invested a LOT of hard work and time in this site but the amount of weed roots (couch grass, nettles etc) that are still in the soil and popping up again are soul destroying. Perhaps that's why the last person some time ago who was helping them out left as it was too much. I can see why as they seem too established. The only thing I can think of is using the planks of wood that are on site and constructing a temporary raised bed. Even sheep wool pellets (states on the pack they work) do not keep them off.
            Last edited by Marb67; 15-09-2023, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Ahhh, the joys of gardening - if only the veggies grew as well as the weeds we'd all be happy.

I must admit this is a real doozy of a year to have as your first on the patch. I've said several times to the OH that it's a good job we had some success last year as if we'd had a year like this one I'd have been very despondent.

Cabbage whites were our nemesis last year - we've netted more heavily this year but I've seen fewer of the butterflies perhaps because of the weather. On the other hand we had hardly any slugs to contend with last year - this year we've had to resort to the little blue pellets or there'd be no calabrese, kale, PSB, cabbage or sprouts left standing.

The good news is that your couch & nettles are beatable if you get up the roots, nettles make great free plant feed, & your cleared ground looks like good soil.

I wouldn't be bothering with temporary raised beds myself - slugs can climb a bit of wood & will enjoy the damp shade they provide right next to the banquet.

The beer traps seem to be working well for you so I'd be tempted to make a few more from old plastic bottles (no need to buy the tailor made ones) & pick up the cheapest 4-pack of bargain beer your local store has to fill them (the slugs can't read the label).

Keep the faith Marb67 - you are making more progress than you think *hugs*
              Last edited by Andraste; 15-09-2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I agree with Babru and Andraste. It's a slow slog, getting a veg patch fully up and running. You've done masses, Marb, and it would be a shame to walk away.

As for your slug traps, water won't cut it I'm afraid, as it's simply not tempting enough for them. Well worth buying cans of beer to deal with them.

Good luck.

Comment

If you don't have beer left - I found to my surprise that pasta water appears to be attractive to slugs. Unplanned discovery, I'd poured some pasta water into a watering can, thinking the starch may be good for plants. But didn't apply it that evening. The next day I remembered that there was also salt in the water so maybe not ideal ..., went to pour it away, and found about 10 dead slugs floating in there. Anecdotal, but I'll try it again at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    I agree with Babru and Andraste. It's a slow slog, getting a veg patch fully up and running. You've done masses, Marb, and it would be a shame to walk away.

As for your slug traps, water won't cut it I'm afraid, as it's simply not tempting enough for them. Well worth buying cans of beer to deal with them.

Good luck.
                    No, I am topping up with water but beer is still in there. Of course I clear out the dead slugs but there was another lot just as many. Surely there can't be any more.

Comment

I had more of a problem with snails than slugs. Hundreds every night for days on end. And still they kept coming. Not trying to put you off, Marb, but it is a bit of an ongoing battle at the start.

Comment

You will need to collect several Kgs of slugs off that plot before things get better. You have got several weeks to go before you can start planting non slug proof plants.
                        I spotted one of those huge squash destroyers a couple of days ago. They are fun once you tease them round until the front end is pointing at your target. Then when you stamp on it the head flies off towards your selected target.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                          You will need to collect several Kgs of slugs off that plot before things get better. You have got several weeks to go before you can start planting non slug proof plants.
                          I spotted one of those huge squash destroyers a couple of days ago. They are fun once you tease them round until the front end is pointing at your target. Then when you stamp on it the head flies off towards your selected target.
                          Not quite sure what you are saying there but it seems very cruel As much as I don't like them I couldn't torture them or kill them barbarically. It's enough guilt for me just using beer traps.
                          Last edited by Marb67; 18-09-2023, 06:50 PM.

Comment

The death of the slug was quick.
                            I could have picked it up and put it in the chicken run and watched them rip it into bight sized pieces before eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                              The death of the slug was quick.
                              I could have picked it up and put it in the chicken run and watched them rip it into bight sized pieces before eating it.
                              I could never take pleasure in instigating any living creature suffer however much a pest they are.

Comment

Well at least the chickens make the slugs into useful eggs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X