No announcement yet.

I am allowed on a Private plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well all my kale's and broccoli have all but been destroyed.

Eggshells don't work.
    Sheep's wool pellets don't work
    Coffee granules don't work

And now plastic bottles don't work
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230827_050615.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2567660

​​​
    Last edited by Marb67; 27-08-2023, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Could you go there at about 9.30pm tonight to collect the slugs,they’ll all be in that area again,a beer trap would work,just bury a container sticking out the earth by about an inch so beetles don’t fall in,with a rain cover because it will probably rain you said in the past you don’t like to kill the slugs,is that still how you feel because although beer will end up killing them,they have a good night partying first

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        Could you go there at about 9.30pm tonight to collect the slugs,they’ll all be in that area again,a beer trap would work,just bury a container sticking out the earth by about an inch so beetles don’t fall in,with a rain cover because it will probably rain you said in the past you don’t like to kill the slugs,is that still how you feel because although beer will end up killing them,they have a good night partying first
        I could dig them up, put in pots away from harms way until they become established enough to plant back out

And yet there are weeds galore, fresh and green and they don't touch them.

Comment

Here's a Bob Flowerdew method to reduce your slug and snail population next season. Put down plastic sheets (old compost bags are fine) in early spring. The rotters like to congregate in the cosy dark spot, so you can come along and gather them up. There will still be slugs and snails, but not so many.
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
            Here's a Bob Flowerdew method to reduce your slug and snail population next season. Put down plastic sheets (old compost bags are fine) in early spring. The rotters like to congregate in the cosy dark spot, so you can come along and gather them up. There will still be slugs and snails, but not so many.
            Thanks but I need them stopping now as they are aggressively ravaging even my leeks and welsh onions. I have had to dig up the kales and put them in pots to plant out when big enough to withstand them. I am not planting out my Christmas sprouts either until they are big enough. I just will keep potting them on into bigger pots when the roots are showing. Its so frustrating as I have the land now (which I am very grateful) but I can't plant anything out onto it. I still have a lot of weeds to9 get out also, especially that grass that sends long roots that run everywhere deep under the soil. Impossible to get them all out really.

Comment

Christmas sprouts? As in Brussels sprouts?
              If those are still in pots now then you'll be lucky to even get a crop at all, much less one in time for Christmas. At best you might get one in February. Sprouts take quite a while to mature, and if you want them for Christmas they need planting out by June.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                Christmas sprouts? As in Brussels sprouts?
                If those are still in pots now then you'll be lucky to even get a crop at all, much less one in time for Christmas. At best you might get one in February. Sprouts take quite a while to mature, and if you want them for Christmas they need planting out by June.
                You didn't tell me they needed to be out by June a few posts back when I first posted the pics of them in the trays!

They are F1 Brussels sprouts. I can't plant them out because they will get eaten. They do not need to be planted out to produce sprouts as I stated in the previous post that I will pot them on as they get bigger, feeding them as they go. There is a guy on Youtube who gets great crops of sprouts in pots.

At least my Christmas spuds are planted in large bags on the plot and already pushing up foliage at a high rate.
                Last edited by Marb67; 10-09-2023, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                  Plastic bottles cut in circles.
                  It makes a coller for the plant until its sturdy and big enough.
                  Definitely keeps the slugs off.
                  Nope. Didn't work unfortunately.

Comment

Plastic bottles only work if they have blue slug pellets under them.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Plastic bottle halves with copper tape around it works brilliantly & they last for years,I use them every year,I made mine about seven years ago. Get the good copper tape from the garden centre tho,I bought some from Poundland once that curls & peels off in the rain,it’s not value for money if it doesn’t stick properly & you have to keep buying it. Good tape sticks properly & doesn’t peel. Ive never used slug pellets…

Comment

beer traps work for slugs

Comment

A few years ago I planted some squash seedlings under big plastic bottles with the bottoms cut off.
                          I put a circle of slug pellets around the seedlings and went out at night to check and a "woolfpack" of slugs had arrived and the first couple of waves of them had stopped and eaten the bait and died and the following waves climbed onto the first ones until the pile of dead slugs was high enough that the ones on top could reach the non true leaves of the seedlings.
                          I cleared up and applied more blue pellets and the plants survived.
                          I literally had to deplete the supply of slugs until it was possible to grow anything.
                          Later in the year the big ones can be picked off and chopped up for the birds.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Slugs I find get cut in half with a stone on the soil,squashed,a free buffet for the hedgehog & early birds if they want. There’s a really big hedgehog here I saw it two days in a row,early evening it wasn’t quite dark,I rushed out with the cats dinner chicken flavour but it just went back in the overgrown bush,I think it must’ve just been out for water,please everyone leave bowls of water around for them,everywhere’s so dry & hot…
                            Last edited by Jungle Jane; 10-09-2023, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Using beer traps at the moment. I shall inspect them later. No idea what is eating the Leeks and onions through.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                                Using beer traps at the moment. I shall inspect them later. No idea what is eating the Leeks and onions through.
                                In my case, it's usually slugs. Only garlic is slug resistant; they'll happily eat onions and leaks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X