I am allowed on a Private plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am allowed on a Private plot

Well, finally I have found a large growing space by means of a mutual friend who knows an elderly couple who have a plot of land they grow on that has become too much for them. It is about 5 miles away deeper in the countryside. The soil is pretty good as they grow some veg but the weeds are a huge undertaking to tackle. The understanding is if I help keep it all in order I am welcome to share the space. There are also bee hives (this of course isn't my responsibility) and a small orchard. I have made a start and cleared all the weeds that were drownig out his beetroot and parsnips. I am working as fast as I can before everything goes to seed but a lot of the grasses have dropped seed as I pulled them but my main concern is getting the big weeds out now.

There are some bays for grass cuttings which I have started to dump all weeds, roots and all as nowhere else to put them. I know it is not ideal but it's better to have them off the pot. Can anyone tell me the quickest way to get them to break down?

Also, I need to think abut getting as much produce sown now for winter like carrots, broccoli, planting out my chard and beets, and any more veg you can advise I can sow now. I know the window is smaller for seed sowing which is a shame as I could have done so more if this had come up at the start of the season but at least I now have something!

Quite a few small trees need to come out, get trimmed that are also blocking the light.

I do have some very small Tom's I could plant out but perhaps too late to expect any growth catch up? Also runner beans still in pot but very healthy.

Any advice would be great as I would like to go down the no dig route when everything is under control. Still a lot of weeding but I need to get stuff planted as I go along in the cleared soil.

I have taken some shots, including the area I have weeded on my first afternoon in a couple of hours, the bays I am dumping the weeds and the right hand side I intend to grow with the bean frames. Its just good to have somewhere to grow all my excess plants instead of cramming them in my garden.
    Last edited by Marb67; 07-08-2023, 10:50 PM.

Sounds like a site with potential, congratulations!

It's a good time to sow turnips and not too late for lettuce.

Spring onions too.

Comment

I sowed Ethiopian kale last Saturday and it germinated by day 3 and it's romping away. Also sowed beetroot and they are doing the same.

Comment

What about Autum King carrots?

Comment

I’m really chuffed you have found this bit of land marb…

I’ve found that Scarlet Nantes are pretty quick. (Small and round when young )
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks, it's a real blessing because it means I can now grow (for as long as it lasts) many things I previously couldn't. The only problem is the weeds. I have cleared the rogue tree and nettles but the very thick roots still run under the soil. Would the cardboard that Charles dowding uses cure this? Also, I need to know how to break down the weeds in the compost bay as fast as possible. Thanks.

Comment

No real advice Marb, but the best of luck.

Comment

Hi Marb67,

I'll be sowing some cabbage this weekend to plant out around the end of August & overwinter for spring greens.

The cardboard method has worked for us in killing off annual weeds & top growth. I'd wait for advice from someone better than me (I'm very much a novice) but my instinct is that the only way to get properly rid of thick perennial roots is by digging them up (darn things have a habit of re-sprouting rather than breaking down).

I don't know if there's any science behind the theory but we add comfrey to our compost which is supposed to act as an accelerator & when the other half needs to wee at the plot he relieves himself into a watering can (in the shed out of sight of course lol) & we tip that on the compost too. Heat definitely plays a role in how fast things break down so if you can insulate around the pile & cover the top with something (cardboard, plastic sheet if you don't mind using plastic about the place) that might help speed things along.

Best of luck with your new project

Comment

Nettle roots will want digging up. Mulching them with cardboard probably won't be enough to kill them, and they'll push their way through. Mercifully, nettle roots tend not to be very deep, and most if not all of them should be in the top 6 inches of soil (they mostly run sideways rather than down).

As for the compost bin, weeds rot pretty quickly, anyway, but the key to getting anything to break down quickly is to chop it up as small as you can and turn it every so often. Also, if you have an open compost bay, covering it to help retain moisture will help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                    Nettle roots will want digging up. Mulching them with cardboard probably won't be enough to kill them, and they'll push their way through. Mercifully, nettle roots tend not to be very deep, and most if not all of them should be in the top 6 inches of soil (they mostly run sideways rather than down).

As for the compost bin, weeds rot pretty quickly, anyway, but the key to getting anything to break down quickly is to chop it up as small as you can and turn it every so often. Also, if you have an open compost bay, covering it to help retain moisture will help a lot.
                    The other side I want to grow on is full of grass but perhaps dig them over and turn them upside down so the grass will rot ? Those nettle roots may be near the surface but it will take a lot of work to pull them out, but I know it will have to be done. In fact I will take some of them home, dry them and consume as they are fantastically healthy. Cheaper than buying supplements.

Comment

I do the no dig thing and it's worked a treat for me.
                      Just mow the area first, then lay on a good layer of cardboard, ensuring no gaps, I then water it.
                      Cover with a compost mix of your choice, I usually put down between 4-6 inches, walk over it a few times to firm it and then you're off! No dig beds are fine to walk on.
                      You get a few weeds coming up during the first season but it then becomes less and less, the only thing I still get is the odd bit of horsetail, but we all know I'm never going to get rid of dinosaur fodder!
                      The only care my beds get is a light hoeing as and when for the little surface weeds and a top dressing of manure or compost.

So pleased you've found a good space to grow in Marb
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Pee will speed up composting, Marb, if you're OK about doing that.

Don't forget you'll be able to buy plug plants for a lot of autumn and winter veg like broccoli, caulis and cabbages.

And congratulations on getting a plot. It'll make all the difference to your growing. Great news.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                          Pee will speed up composting, Marb, if you're OK about doing that.

Don't forget you'll be able to buy plug plants for a lot of autumn and winter veg like broccoli, caulis and cabbages.

And congratulations on getting a plot. It'll make all the difference to your growing. Great news.
                          Thanks. A lot of work clearing weeds and other stuff but at least I have some clear soil to plant some stuff out.

Comment

Personally much as I use the no dig method, I would dig over the area that I intended to plant up now, after removing all top growth turning grass and annual weed roots upside down does help the soil, but couchgrass and perennial weeds need to be removed, they can be put into a container of water to rot, just leave them for several months and the liquid can be used as a general feed tea, the solids can go onto the compost heap, the top growth 9f nettles is a good c compost activator, but works better when mixed with shredded cardboard or paper, scatter some feeding over the planting area, leave for about a week, then cover the area with cardboard, give it a good soak, if I had some compost I would spread it over the top of the cardboard, if not I would use some soil, this is simply to hold it down, plant through the cardboard and wait for results​​​​​​
                            The reason for digging over the area now is to give any young plants a chance as I think planting through soil/compost, cardboard into ground with fresh weeds provides too much competition, as for the rest of the area I would remove perennial weed roots then cut down top growth cover with cardboard or weed membrane making sure that it's secure enough to withstand any winter winds.
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Delighted to heat you've got somewhere to do your gardening Marb.
                              I wont try yo offer advice as you have had some great advice from other peeps.
                              What I would say is, dont overdo it, plenty of plug plants to be had without waiting for seeds to germinate.
                              Best of luck and happy gardening.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...