No announcement yet.

Where to get Comfrey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought some at the end of last year from Suffolk Herbs (www.suffolkherbs.com). Despatched March and April OR October and November. Costs for Bocking 14 are £3.39 for 5 root cuttings, £6.50 for 10 cuttings or £21.95 for 50 cuttings (if you're really keen!). The say that cuttings are much easier to get going than seed, although I planted my cuttings in pots and nothing has happened yet!! Mind you, I am new to this growing lark.

Comment

Geordie - did you try this again, and did it work again?

i have about 20 Bock 14 plants, and want to use for either mulch on beds, mulch on paths, compost or liquid feed, however not sure about putting on beds if it attracts slugs / snails?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

I got mine off ebay!

Comment

Hi Jax,

The name is really boring actually. Lawrence Hills knew (or suspected) that comfrey was good for organic gardening & so he tried different varieties of comfrey at his home in Bocking Essex which is where the HDRA started originally before moving to Coventry, & the the cultivar with the trial number 14 won, hence Bocking 14... told you it was boring
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Comfrey for free - everywhere it seems

I bought some, and since i have left it in pots on my allotment, I have had about 15 different allotmenters telling me "if you'd let me know, I'd have let you have plenty", so it seems that it is very common and easy to get hold of.

Just make sure it is bocking 14 though

Comment

Comfrey

Originally posted by Jaxom
              Now I realyrealy want Comfrey
              HI YA , i,M ordering some from e-bay but will grow it in containers and harvest leaves for liquid feed.

Comment

I now have some bocking 14 growing in the garden. Five plants. the only problem is that the snails keep eating it before I get a chance to make a liquid feed.

Comment

Geordie... I could just about kiss you...! I have been looking for a good easy method of dealing with nasty evil slugs, as I am on about my fourth round of plants (veg, sunflowers etc) in my allotment. Everything gets eaten by them, and its getting sole-destroying.

At home I go out each night with a pair of scissors... but can't really do that in the allotment at 10pm!

I am off to hunt on ebay for 'Bocking 14' and remarkably excited about the potential success of comfrey! Lets hope the slugs don;t get bored/sick of comfrey!!!

THANKS for your tip!

Comment

Comfrey is ace. I think mine is shooting again already ...
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by rauni View Post
                      I want to grow some comfrey for fertilizer, but how do I start? I've never seen seeds. My mum used to have it as a rampant weed at her old house, which was an old Stable cottage, as they used it for poultices for the horses. She was always trying to get rid of it, and now I want some I can't find it! Any suggestions?
                      Hi Rauni

If you PM me your address I will send you some seed.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Perry View Post
                        HI YA , i,M ordering some from e-bay but will grow it in containers and harvest leaves for liquid feed.
                        Comfrey is far too vigourous and deep rooting to survive any length of time in containers. Buy Bocking 14, it's non-invasive.

I've used the comfrey method for protecting plants from slugs for a few years now. You don't always even need to completely surround the plant either, a few piles dotted about work.
                        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

hi

hey im new to this but basicly i saw a program called victorian farm as i have sheep and horses i saw they used this comfy/comfry plant i dont know anything about it and i was wondering where i can get this plant as i wanna grow some to be able to use the root as it was shown any idas where i can get seeds or cuttings locally and cheaply will be greatfully apprieciated cheers matt

Comment

Originally posted by daddymatty View Post
                            d i was wondering where i can get this plant
                            Hi Matt, welcome.
                            Have a read through the posts above. I got mine on eBay, but it's a little early yet
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
                              Hi Rauni

If you PM me your address I will send you some seed.

Cheers Chris
                              Whats Rauni ever done to hurt you Chris?
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by daddymatty View Post
                                hey im new to this but basicly i saw a program called victorian farm as i have sheep and horses i saw they used this comfy/comfry plant i dont know anything about it and i was wondering where i can get this plant as i wanna grow some to be able to use the root as it was shown any idas where i can get seeds or cuttings locally and cheaply will be greatfully apprieciated cheers matt
                                eBay is your friend!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X