No announcement yet.

Where to get Comfrey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got some root cuttings last spring. Not enough to get a decent cut off it this year but I did find a really good crop near the canal which I plundered for feed.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
      Epsilon, it is just an unresearched opinion, but I fear that Comfrey will not survive in tropical climes.
      The reason I think this is that most plants have proteins that work only within a certain range of temperatures; comfrey being a plant that originates from colder areas such as Siberia, I would be willing to bet (if I was a betting man) that it's proteins are skewed to work better at lower temperatures.
      Thank you snohare, you are right. The gloxinia I have also shows sign of leaves shrinking when I bring it back to sea level land. It grew very well when I bought it in some high altitude area.

I think any other plants which produce flowers and leaves that can decompose easily may do the almost same thing as comfrey does.

Comment

I think any other plants which produce flowers and leaves that can decompose easily may do the almost same thing as comfrey does.
        The theory I keep coming across, is that comfrey is so good as a plant mulch/food because it has a long tap root and thus takes up nutrient minerals from deeper in the soil where most plants cannot access the leachate. So I would guess - again, just an unresearched opinion - that you want to try vigourous growing plants with deep roots.
        Best of luck !
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Our lottie site is covered in comfrey - self-seeded from one plot holder's expensive Bocking 14 plants! So much for it being sterile...
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Our lottie site is covered in comfrey - self-seeded from one plot holder's expensive Bocking 14 plants! So much for it being sterile...
            It wasn't B14 then.
            I've been growing B14 for 5 years now, and I let it flower for the bees. It has never strayed from where I've planted it.
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X