No announcement yet.

First allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammonium sulphamate has been withdrawn from use as a weedkiller/herbicide since 2008. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=820

Withdrawn weedkillers, mosskillers and plant growth regulators
    Products have been grouped according to their use and then alphabetically by active ingredient.

Weedkillers/herbicides
    Active ingredient Ammonium sulphamate
    Brand name(s) Deep Root, Root Out, Amcide, Doff Tree Stump & Tough Weedkiller and others (click to view the complete list)
    Main use Woody weeds and stumps
    Last date for use 22.5.08

Just saying!

Comment

Couch grass is different to the regular grass you find on lawns.
      The latter is either turf or grass seed.

Couch has a white root-rhizome - which goes deep into the soil. Any part of this rhizome left behind will regrow. Hence not good for composting unless dried and put into a heap with sufficient heat.

Often new allotmenteers will weed-kill the ground initially then come spring the plot is overwhelmed with couch again. It's hard to eliminate without keeping on top of it. Basically weaken it and wearing it out.

This is why many suggest to cover with weed suppressant material or cardboard and horse manure/mulch.

In theory no light no growth but it can just lay dormant. It also will spread from paths and neighbouring plots.

After many years on an allotment,like many other weeds. it is one that you just have to tolerate and keep on top of, in my experience.
      Last edited by SalfordWhite; 02-09-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Lots of great advice on here.

I was In the same position as you 2 years ago. I was super keen initially, using several days of annual leave in addition to both days at the weekend to get the plot cleared. It takes a lot of time & hard work, at times I wanted to quit as I felt I wasn't achieving enough. It became a chore each visit & I was starting to hate it.

My advice is take lots of photos, especially at the beginning. So when you hit the low points refer back to those photos & you'll be amazed at what you have achieved. It also serves as a record of what you did when if you're not one for writing it all down.

Regarding crops, if you like garlic then Oct/Nov onwards is a good time to get them in the ground. Salad or rocket now for the kids to see some quick results.

Good luck & remember it should be enjoyable not a chore!

Comment

I’ve just taken a half plot in similar condition: my strong advice would be to cut the grass then cover it with 125gsm weed membrane (+ staples/pins) until spring (£1 per sq metre, eBay/Amazon)

Put that on the worst bits, then start tackling the easier bits.
          Me, I would methodically cut and turn over each sod, removing couch grass & bindweed roots - these can be drowned in a barrel of water, to use as fertiliser next year.
          Then I’d roughly level/rake the turned sods and seed with a green manure (big bags, greenmanures.co.uk) or mulch.

Do not, ever, aim for a smooth brown desert of soil. If you have bare soil, Nature will cover it in weeds, and you’ll be hoeing every day, because weeds don’t wait until you’re ready, they get in there and go.

So, clear a bit then cover it, with crop, mulch, green manures or membrane. It will then be so much easier to work in the spring.
          The mulch I’ve used is cut weeds: pile them on top of weedy areas as a thick mulch and they’ll stop the weeds underneath- they’ll also encourage worm activity to turn the soil for you. Move the dead grass mulch along as you clear, then finally it can go in a compost heap.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Welcome

I've got a full plot of which I took over half about this time last year.

I've left a fair bit as "grass" as the small person can run around on it.
            I strimmed it all down and then turned over enough turf to put potatoes in 4 places that are to be expanded into beds. I've built two (where the new potatoes were), and I've got the wood for one of the two remaining. We'll see how it goes.

If you are putting weed membrane down, don't forget to weight it as well as pin it. Also, sunlight will degrade the membrane over time. I cover mine with woodchip to minimise this (and makes the plot look more slightly). When I get round to building out the covered bits, that chipping will go in the compost.

If bands have "difficult second album" problems, I think allotment-holders have "difficult second year" syndrome. As the initial enthusiasm wanes, but it's still not quite nailed down, that's when you need to dig in (so to speak). A nice big set of "before" pictures helps. As does getting anything planted. Make sure your plans allow for getting *something* in start of next year - I'd go for spuds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyl View Post
              Thanks all! Loving the advice

Hope I've not killed the raspberries yet, it's been manic so I've laid them over some soil at home and half heartedly watered them (had them since Thursday). Very interesting to hear they are autumn raspberries, the people we got them off basically said they'd had loads this year, is that what you mean by an earlier crop?

Provided it's a fairly clear plot is cutting it into sods for soil next year a bad idea because of couch grass roots?

Raspberries are reasonably tolerant, but ideally get the roots covered in soil as soon as possible.

Depending on the weather and where you are is when the autumn ones crop, mine tend to be End August until the frosts.

Yes if you leave the canes on you can get crops june onwards. It may be that the people you got them from didn’t know which type they were (summer ones fruit only on the previous years canes) and this didn’t want to risk losing the crop by cutting them down or they noticed they fruited on old canes and got confused.

Cut into sods but bear in mind you should try to get rid of the worst of the roots when you come to use the soil from them and cover the pile to exclude the light so you don’t get a unmanageable heap of couch grass. As others have said the roots are really obviously when you know what you are looking for.

Budget idea:

Tell your friends and family you have an allotment and you find they offer you all sorts of stuff, long unloved seed trays, wood, and othe4 stuff you can repurpose.

Get the weed matting on a large roll 25 or 50 metres from am@zon rather than garden centres.

Wilko if you have one near you are great for essentials (modules trays, growhouse - often called blowaways on here) and standard varieties of seeds - I got all my seeds from there last year. Lots were only £1 pack, their own brand but germinated and cropped great - then when you get going you can branch out into more interesting/heritage varieties of seeds. Also lots of places are selling off seeds this time of year which will be fine for sowing next year. Also gives you incentive to get clearing if you have plans for what to plant.

Comment

Is it wrong to have a rough goal in mind? Cant help but plan out the plot its too exciting!! Maybe I'll be put off is progress is too slow but anyway...

'veg and flowers' is very vague yes, but I have a LOT of learning to do to come up with a decent crop rotation plan etc.

So going off a lot of the advice I am now wondering if I should strim it to the ground, cover with weed control mat. Dig out sods from the bed areas only and pile this up (cover with taurp) and lay woodchip paths. Typical... theres been a free woodchip ad for daaays now and as soon as I decide I do need some it disappears, I've made a couple enquiries but not found any free locally yet.

I met a fellow plot-ee today who said she had seen my plot strimmed to the ground and it was bare but nothing was done with it. I'm not expecting any treasures/ major hazards if it was bare and then left, but I think the ground is uneven! I was also kindly informed that the grass hasn't been much of an issue for them when turned over but she did dig out a lot of roots, apparently buttercups, flatworm and clay soil are a problem.

Comment

I dont seem to be able to edit my post but wanted to add, does anyone use the range? Looked like most seeds were 49p they had big apple trees for £20 compost bins about £25 all so tempting, but trying to keep a tight budget!!

I have a winter seed collection coming but I'm going to hold off on my spending until I know how much we can clear for planting.

Comment

still cant edit my post but noticed my picture didn't appear
                    Julian Tuwim

Comment

If clay is a problem you could consider a green manure such as field beans.
                      They have a long root to break up the clay, plus you chop & drop them then dig them in to improve the soil.

Comment

I Chop & drop, but don’t dig in: leave choppings on soil surface to suppress weeds (as per One Straw Revolution)

The only GM I bury is caliente mustard, which is a killer of white onion rot

More on mulches: https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/no-...ng/why-no-dig/
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-09-2018, 10:13 AM.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Field beans sound a good idea, these are edible aren't they...if I decided to leave some in?

Itching to get hold of a strimmer and stuck in. The branch taking over the back of the allotment is now gone and weed control fabric is on order.

Had a closer look and buttercups do appear to be the biggest issue (so far).

Sourced some free wood chip but they only dump by the tipper load so I think we'll miss out on it, don't want to rock the boat with other people on the allotment and make a mess near the gates!!

I need to create some interest on the plot soon as my toddler is more interested in neighbouring plots right now!! hopefully I could get the tyres in place soon ( on my plan) and he can dig in there or learn to plant etc.

Comment

Field beans are edible, like smaller broad beans IIRC, however to get the most as a green manure you need to chop, shred and spread when it starts to flower as this is when it's got the most nutrients in it.

Get half a dozen large cardboard boxes and put them in the centre of the site - should keep the little one occupied for a bit.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

It's been slow progress (I broke the strimmer we borrowed and had to buy a part etc). But this is where we are at:

[IMG] [/IMG]

Need to plant up the yellow raspberries , any idea where? Might leave it till next year now instead of digging out the beds i want but I am itching to do something as I love going up. Might start a worm box for the kids and pop down 2-3 tyres for my eldest to dig in.

I'll probably be on Pinterest for more ideas especially for the section we ran out of membrane for. And might make a step of some kind as you step down to the allotment.

Comment

Hi there Dyl.
                                We got an allotment in June. 80ft x 40ft of chest high weeds. It was too much so i did the unthinkable - weedkiller!!! We covered the lot in black plastic & 15 or so weeks on have got 2/3rds under control & nearly planted. I think two pieces of advice i have is dont plan what you're gonna put where until you dig down and know what your dealing with. Weve acquired a tarmac drive under 6 inches of soil...gutted!!! But do plan each visit. An allotment is a time warp and a 40min visit turns into an hour with no much action gone on. Have fun xxx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X