Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1tonne View Post
    Hey allincontainers,

Nice post. Have been reading how various plants compliment each other. That ticks my OCD boxes as there's logic. Its just the randomness that I dislike.
    Thanks. Year 1 feed the mind, year 2 feed the belly

My garden looks fairly tame at the moment, but soon it will be utter mayhem. People that have seen it have said it's ridiculous and won't/can't work, but when I go through the logic and planning I've put into it, they realise it's not the garden that's ridiculous, but me I have tried to estimate heights and widths come end of season, fruiting/flowering times, sun exposures (both on a daily and seasonal perspective), and take into account plant interactions to cram an utterly bonkers amount of plants in my small area, yet still be domestically functional, productive, and a nice place to sit out with a libation of choice.

This is only my second year. Last year I was utterly clueless about absolutely everything, and lost many plants to various causes. This year I have still lost plants (yes already, no doubt more will follow) but I am much happier with my garden, and my plants are much happier with me too. There's no guarantees I've got it right though, and there's a high probability I'll have to keep tweaking and changing as the season unfolds. There's lots in this gardening lark to feed your little quirks, but don't let it take over.

Rule one must always be obeyed ..... Have fun

Comment

Well finished the raised garden today. 4 extra support beams in the middle of each side as Bigmally suggested.

Time to fill it.

I have plenty of small rocks and bricks I was going to put at the bottom? I assumed this would provide better drainage? I would hazard a guess that the rocks will take up the bottom 150mm all round leaving 450mm of top soil / compost mix?

Also is it ok to use this thread as a kinda journal/question place? Don't want to start a thread everytime I ask something cos you'll all just get tired of me! :P

Figured I could keep everything here and people can help if they wish/have time?

Hope your all enjoying the good weather today!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Hello and welcome from the French Pyrenees.

This is my sowing list for this week which may help :
        Mizuna, beetroot, basil, kidney beans, coriander, parsley, dill, mustard, florence fennel, kales, lettuce, turnips, sweetcorn, radish, pak choi, chicoree, New Zealand spinach. Umm, better get back out the ...

Enjoy the Vine :-)
        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
          Mizuna, beetroot, basil, kidney beans, coriander, parsley, dill, mustard, florence fennel, kales, lettuce, turnips, sweetcorn, radish, pak choi, chicoree, New Zealand spinach. Umm, better get back out the ...

Enjoy the Vine :-)
          Hi thanks for the welcome. That sounds...daunting lol. Lettuce and spinach would be on my list but couldn't find any spinach whilst I was out earlier and forgot to grab some lettuce.

Don't know where to start at the moment. Just potted 4 chilli plants that bought at local garden show last weekend. Its really nice outside today so have taken them out for some sunshine. No greenhouse to treat them to. Just have to hope kitchen side is enough for them.

Need to get raised bed in to place but no one around to help me lift it. Might have to call my father and see if he can help me out for 30 mins.

Comment

Raised bed is fully constructed and now half full. Spent a good 3 hrs shovelling top soil in. And I'm shattered. Back feels like been hiking with a rucksack full of rocks.

My only concern is its a little large and wondering if its too much for the garden.

Hard to tell when the entire garden is essentially a worksite. May be a case of removing the top part and making it 120mm lower. Not a tough job if honest.

Picked up some potted tomatoes/cougette ready to go in, and have some spinach/carrot/onion bulbs ready to go too.

Very excited but still feels like I have so much to do. Seeing then shooting will make it worth it I'm sure.

Comment

A very warm welcome to the forum.
              Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
              Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1tonne View Post
                My only concern is its a little large and wondering if its too much for the garden.

Hard to tell when the entire garden is essentially a worksite. May be a case of removing the top part and making it 120mm lower. Not a tough job if honest.
                It'll look different when planted up as the greenery will soften things. You'll get used to it too, our sofa was scary big when we first put it in our front room, looks normal now

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  It'll look different when planted up as the greenery will soften things. You'll get used to it too, our sofa was scary big when we first put it in our front room, looks normal now

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
                  This is what I said to my partner. At the moment, garden consists of a wrecked fence that is due to be rapaired, mud, patio and raised garden full of mud.

Not a lot of colour. :P

Least the weather is good for the remainder of the week so can get some bits in by the weekend.

Comment

My partner and I recently purchased our first house. Have never been a garden person, altho my mother is. Could never see the interest myself...
                    This could have described me I'll be very interested to see your progress.

Comment

Well started levelling the side of the garden as currently the top soil is almost 6inches higher than the patio. Is as if whomever laid the patio just put all the top soil next to the fence. Levelling it is taking some time, but will change the entire garden so needs doing.

Raised bed is almost full, but needs a but more so almost suits the fact I have levelling to do. Desperate to get stuff bedded in this weekend but just don't think I'm going to be ready. Hopefully tho. Be nice to have some colour in the garden again.

Wilkos is getting a visit at weekend as need garden hose, pots and some other bits. Keep buying stuff lately as I see it.

Will get some pics up once plants go in.

My roses opened up today due to sun. Look very nice!

Attached Files

Comment

Whoop raised garden is full!! Only took me a few days lol.

Start planting Tomo, just need to go buy a few bits. Need hose and reel, some small trowels etc.

Getting quite on new fence Tomo. That'll change the look of things!

Comment

Vegetable garden has been done. Tom plants at back with a cougette, chillis at front to see how they go.

And the roses look awesome so a pic of those to go with it.

Fence man came, hopefully next 4 weeks we'll be done there too.

Attached Files

Comment

Fence delayed til end of August kinda annoying as really hard to appreciate the garden when so fundamentally flawed!!

Started working on borders. Heres where we are.

Roses have designated bed.

Made second section today. Rest will be done over the coming month.

Attached Files

Comment

Hey you!.... Looks like your garden/ veg plot is coming on well!

Looking at your piccies I've got a feeling you could fit a greenhouse behind that raised bed.
                              Yup, it'd be close to to the fence, but you could paint it cream-/ white to reflect the light inside.

Have a play with a tape measure and see what you think!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                Hey you!.... Looks like your garden/ veg plot is coming on well!

Looking at your piccies I've got a feeling you could fit a greenhouse behind that raised bed.
                                Yup, it'd be close to to the fence, but you could paint it cream-/ white to reflect the light inside.

Have a play with a tape measure and see what you think!
                                Well when we moved in, it was originally a shed there, so more than likely could fit in a greenhouse. Would be a next year purchase at the earliest. Haven't the money at the moment. Taking long enough to get everything done as it is!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X