First time being green :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    1.6mts is about the limit for a raised bed. Are you able to reach the middle without over stretching?
    Its my limit.

If honest, the bed was designed more by the allowable space than function. I'm only going to have one veg patch as the rest of the garden has a designated rose garden and the rest will be every day plants and shrubs.

If I can reach the middle (and should get pretty close) then great. If not, I'm sure I'll think of something. I have pretty long arms tho so fingers crossed!

Comment

Hello and welcome. Hope to hear more from you and see loads of pictures from you
      Carrie

Comment

:Hi and welcome, there are some great people on this forum and so helpfull.
        Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by cariann88 View Post
          Hello and welcome. Hope to hear more from you and see loads of pictures from you
          Cheers for the welcome Cariann!

The joys of iPhones make picture uploadin so very simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by 1tonne View Post
            I have pretty long arms
            I can empathise with that.................
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello 1tonne and welcome - I have very short arms but you probably don't need to know that
              You may think you only have one place to grow veggies but you can also mix them in with your flowers and shrubs. Grow runner beans in with sweet peas, edge your flower beds with carrots and beetroot for their pretty and colourful leaves. Grow lots of herbs - rosemary, thymes, parsley etc. All very ornamental as well as edible

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Hello 1tonne and welcome - I have very short arms but you probably don't need to know that
                You may think you only have one place to grow veggies but you can also mix them in with your flowers and shrubs. Grow runner beans in with sweet peas, edge your flower beds with carrots and beetroot for their pretty and colourful leaves. Grow lots of herbs - rosemary, thymes, parsley etc. All very ornamental as well as edible

Hey veggie

I have been told this by a few people, but I'm not sure if my mild OCD tendencies will allow me. I mean, everything had a place. A specific place. Lol. Not sure i could handle having vegs in flower area

Yeh, I have a few...issues!

Comment

Don't think of carrots are veggies then - but as flowers with edible roots

Comment

Plant a Courgette in your flower border, it has the most amazing flower.............which you can also eat.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Don't think of carrots are veggies then - but as flowers with edible roots
                      Haha I'm sure it will settle. I'm sure as I go I'll be taking advantage of every available space.

Really looking forward to the weekend as I'll be hopefully planting. Still unsure what I can actually grow this time of the year as know I'm a few weeks late but couldn't be helped.

Is there a list anywhere that I can see what can be planted this time of year? Seed or something already started?

My god I really haven't got a clue :S

Comment

First time being green

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Plant a Courgette in your flower border, it has the most amazing flower.............which you can also eat.
                        I have one place ready, but its not the sunniest of spots.

Also our area suffered terribly from the early year storms. So much so, our neighbour doesn't have one fence panel standing. Lost them all, 13 in total and yet to have works done to replace them. Kinda unsure about planting anywhere that they will have builders digging down to place fence posts.

Last edited by 1tonne; 12-05-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Welcome, sir!
                          Take a look at my blog too

Comment

Originally posted by 1tonne View Post
                            Really looking forward to the weekend as I'll be hopefully planting. Still unsure what I can actually grow this time of the year as know I'm a few weeks late but couldn't be helped.

Is there a list anywhere that I can see what can be planted this time of year? Seed or something already started?

My god I really haven't got a clue :S
                            have a read of this for ideas - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...n/in-month/may

Comment

You're right 1tonne, everything does have a specific place ... the garden

Mine is all mixed up, not in terms of what the plant is or does, but what the plant needs. For example, all my shade tolerant plants are in one area, the sun dependent in another, and the more "flexible" as regards conditions take up the rest of the garden. Mixing up the types can actually help the plants too. Nasturtiums keep blackfly off your tomatoes, sunflowers help sweetcorn, sage help keep butterflies away from your cabbages, blah blah blah ....

.... but feel free to do whatever you feel most comfortable with, and whatever brings you the most enjoyment. If you don't enjoy it, you might as well just to to the shops

Comment

Hey allincontainers,

Nice post. Have been reading how various plants compliment each other. That ticks my OCD boxes as there's logic. Its just the randomness that I dislike. Logic and order go hand in hand.

Should have joined the army, I much prefer regimented living!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X