No announcement yet.

Wanted - Wheelbarrow recommendation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funnily enough, I never saw this thread before Veggie, but when I saw the title just now I immediately thought, "Haemmerlin !" CVs use them all the time, together with lots of other types of wheelbarrows, and they are by far the most popular.
    I'd recommend one of those unpunctureable tyres to go with it, once you put those together you really will have an eternal barrow...
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thanks Snohare Its the same make as Chillington, I believe I have one of those that I found, abandoned in the local woods - probably by Volunteers. I watched it for a few days but nobody to came to collect it so I wheeled it home!! It has a big hole in the pan and the tyre won't hold air but its going to make a jolly nice raised bed, parked in a corner of the garden In fact there'll be a pair of them as I have another unusable barrow as well

Comment

Do you find the polypropylene ones are sufficiently robust? I was considering this one B&Q Sovereign Wheelbarrow Orange Pan Galvanised Frame, 0000003187210 but Grumpy thinks it will be too easy to put a spade or fork through the pan.
        The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
          Do you find the polypropylene ones are sufficiently robust? I was considering this one B&Q Sovereign Wheelbarrow Orange Pan Galvanised Frame, 0000003187210 but Grumpy thinks it will be too easy to put a spade or fork through the pan.
          I've had one for 2 summers and its been good. Nice and light and manoeuvrable. I am careful how I put my fork etc in it though, I don't just chuck them in. Its got a puncture now though which I am not dealing with except by pumping it up every time.
          Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
          www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

One of my customers bought one of these solid green rubber tyres from B&Q and she really likes it. if the nuts on the bolts which hold your present wheel in place are rusted, get the grinder out and grind them off and fit new ones. Be sure to wear the safety goggles though.
            Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 29-12-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

ermmm I never noticed this was an old thread either
              Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 29-12-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                ermmm I never noticed this was an old thread either
                Don't suppose it matters how old the thread, wheelbarrows are notorious for breaking, what goes around, comes around..(including punctures)
                Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
                www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

We're looking for a strong one to use on rough ground. Wish they still made the ballbarrow
                  Apparently there's a similar product in America The NuBarro: The Ballbarrow Reincarnated? | Toolmonger but I can't find one in this country.

Comment

Don't suppose it matters how old the thread
                    Yes, these wheelbarrow things are likely to keep carrying on...just run on and on and on until everyone is totally tired...
                    Sylvan, I've seen a ballbarrow similar to what you speak of, but to be honest it was not well made. I wonder if perhaps the design patent has lapsed and now there are only cheap knock-offs. 'Twould be a pity...
                    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

It would indeed snohare. I found mine invaluable for a bumpy, tussocky, sloping field. Really really need summat to cope with those conditions again now.

Comment

I have just about given up on wheel barrows, I use a four wheeled wagon, made by woodie wagons, it great for lots of different stuff as you can take of the front / back or side panels if you need a flat bed or great to cart the family and stuff around the allotment or days out. It can take 2x the amount of garden wast as a normal barrow.

Comment

Someone left a set of chain harrows in the grass on our farm, the grass grew and hid them completely. I came along at high speed on our tractor and went right over all the spikes with all four wheels! We counted over 30 holes in them. Whats that got to do with wheel barrows? absolutely nothing.

So here is my advice, get a builders barrow with pneumatic tyre, when you do get a puncture use the silicone stuff, avoid rushing over chain harrows. A pneumatic tyre is much much easier to push over lumpy ground.
                          Last edited by Bill HH; 18-03-2015, 03:48 PM.
                          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Is the moral there that you should leave harrows tines-down, as you would a rake, so as not to puncture tyres when running over them (or knock them in the face, in the case of a rake)?
                            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                              Is the moral there that you should leave harrows tines-down, as you would a rake, so as not to puncture tyres when running over them (or knock them in the face, in the case of a rake)?
                              Well your nearly right, ours had spikes on both sides, short one side long the other. The proper thing would have been to roll them up so they woulood be visible for longer.

I did enquire about who left them there but got the stock answer, they choose someone who has recently left and blame them. Besides if I hadn't been doing my Grahamm Hill impersonation i might just have ruined the front tyres.
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

We don't have many leavers here, so the youngest gets blamed instead ... mind you ...he's normally off collecting a Sky Hook

Hadn't thought about long/short double sided spikes, that's a good idea - apart from when not rolled up of course ...

First time I worked on a farm I was dead chuffed that I managed to reverse a tipping trailer into a narrow space between two barns as it was during the lunch hour and noone around to assist me ... wound the leg down, disconnected the hitch etc. ... left the hydraulic line connected, oops! and drove off at a sharp angle dragging the trailer into the corner of the barn Good quality hydraulic hose they used!
                                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X