No announcement yet.

Mini PC For 18 Squid!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're dipping your toe in for the first time I'd consider buying through amazon e.g.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/.../?tag=ho01f-21

prices are in line with ebay generally and you have the advantage of decent customer care from amazon

- that box ooks quite good though 2gb ram would be a big improvement - I'm not all that up to date with the best chipset to go for etc - but there's quite a lot of stuff around if you google.

I'd expect you can find a 'recommended' box for sub £30 through amazon
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

and if you want even more stuff to eventually end up at the back of a cupboard somewhere then this is the sort of thing you'd be after Cadders:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...DV0PR8527DEFWP
      Last edited by Baldy; 16-10-2016, 05:46 PM. Reason: corrected link
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
        OK but how do you select the icons as the TV is not touch screen does the dongle/flash stick/ gizmo come with something to navigate and select the buttons ??
        Sorry Cad, I posted earlier but it is not showing. Today I ordered one of these to compliment the stick so they are a stand alone package. £6.50 with Lithium Battery is not a bad deal:

Mini Wireless Keyboard 2.4G with Touchpad Handheld Keyboard for PC Android TV F7 | eBay
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Ok Fellas, I have a question if I may.................I get the setup principles: The dongle from the keypad goes in the PC Stick which in turn goes into either a HDMI or USB slot in the back of the TV.............The stick comes with a mini USB Power adapter. My question is:

a) If the stick is run through the USB, will it also charge it thereby eliminating the power supply.

b) If so, could I put the stick in a HDMI slot & piggy back a USB lead from the charging slot in the stick to the USB in the TV...............Hope all that makes sense.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

If I understand your question correctly - which I'm not sure I do - maybe!

My fire stick prefers to use its USB power supply - but I always just power it through usb on the back of the telly - I then get a warning that it might not work properly - but ts been fine. Presume the tv is banging out enough amps to make it work ok - if the ampage was a little down you'd get 'weird' performance... I suspect both a) and b) would be ok if your tv is recent and well specced...
            sigpic

Comment

Cheers Balders..............there's only one way to find out really so I'll test both ways when the stuff arrives.

Comment

Fingers crossed BM.

other thing I was going to mention is that if your internet provider clamps down on 'iffy stuff' (BT in my case) then your 'fully loaded' box might seem a bit disappointing...

Saw this on hotukdeals about what to go for in an android box...
                "A box with 2gb and s905 is what you should be looking for. On the upside the MXQ box I had 18 months ago is still going strong with no problems. Bear in mind the newer kodi Kryptonite is not compatible with 4.4 kitkat and needs 5.1 Lollipop or above so you would stop at the current release of Jarvis."

to be fair at c.£25 you pays your money and takes your chance.
                sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'll tell you the reason I've ordered it.
                  I currently have a 32" new TV in the kitchen. It has no outside Ariel and the indoor one although running through a booster keeps breaking up. Get an outside Ariel fitted I hear you cry. Apart from the cost & the mess my thoughts are to get this stick, bookmark a Freeview listings site & watch TV through it. I'm not looking for it to do anymore than that.

Comment

should be fine for that...providing you get a decent wifi signal in Rwanda
                    sigpic

Comment

The signal is fine, however I have read reviews where the signal has been weak & the internal antennae in the stick has been brought to the outside. We will see but I don't think I will need to do that.

Comment

Did you manage to place an order Cad?..............Part of the order has arrived, the mini keyboard & I must say it's a cracking little piece of kit. Have just tried it out on the laptop so can't wait for the mini PC to arrive.

Comment

Ordered and waiting for them both to arrive, we will have to exchange notes once it does.
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Mine turned up yesterday so going to have a play later this week, have you got yours up and running yet?
                            sigpic
                            . .......Man Vs Slug
                            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              I've ordered one of these & just wondered if anyone has seen, used or thrown one away:
                              Banggood.com sell loads of them apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                                Mine turned up yesterday so going to have a play later this week, have you got yours up and running yet?
                                Brilliant, you'll have to let me know what you think..........I'm still waiting for the PC so have tested the keypad & is great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X