No announcement yet.

The Olympics 2016 Thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched most of the rowing heats on day 1 - the Lagoa lake has stunning scenery, but the crosswinds made it more of a survival race rather than rowing.

Watched the swimming heats in the early hours of this morning - Adam Peaty is phenomenal, hope he can get the gold.

Also watched the mens' gymnastics - high hopes for Team GB

Comment

I'm glad people are watching the rowing...

Rio Olympics 2016: GB into men's quadruple sculls final - BBC Sport

Comment

I got a bit obsessed with the canoe slalom yesterday - its exhausting just watching them!

Comment

Give a shout at the tele tomorrow. First GB Rowing Final of the week:
          GB Men's Quad Scull on 1022 our time. 1422 your time (as long as the lake behaves itself).

Comment

Well, it's hotted up over the passed couple of days and I'm loving the first night of track cycling, amazing performances from our men and women so far!

Comment

What, no mention of Katherine Grainger yet, or have I missed it?

Not originally selected for the rowing squad, Katherine is now aged 40 but has just won a silver medal to add to the medals she won in the previous four Olympics. Yes, that's right, silver or gold, five olympics in a row (in a row, get it? ).

Legend.

Rio Olympics 2016: Katherine Grainger and Victoria Thornley win double sculls silver - BBC Sport

Comment

Awesome performances in rowing & cycling today!
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Ireland got our first ( and possibly only) medal today..well done to the O Donova brothers..
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                    Ireland got our first ( and possibly only) medal today..well done to the O Donova brothers..
                    They are brilliant! Caught their post race interview and they have not only won a medal, but sound as though they are making the very best of their Rio experience - well done boys!

Comment

I've just been catching up on some of the gymnastics.
                      Flippin heck it's changed over the years- so many flips and twists
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It's only now in later years that I do a (very modest) bit in a pair of running shoes that I can appreciate what these Olympic boys and girls do. It's not enough to be talented, you have to give up your whole life (and your family do too) for years - all for no guarantee of any recognition at all.

Love 'em all!

Comment

I have enjoyed watching the olympics, it's a bit of escapism and I am endlessly impressed by the hard work and dedication of the athletes. I try not to wonder if there's drugs involved but it's hard not to sadly.
                          The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Did you see USA v Sweden in the women's football? In the last kick of the penalty shoot-out the American goalkeeper ran off to the half-way line on the pretext of changing her gloves. Blindingly obvious that it was just a ploy to try and put off the Swedish girl who had to take the penalty.

The most unsporting act I've ever witnessed. Disgraceful. The referee should have sent her off.

Thankfully the Swedish girl blasted the ball into the back of the net. This time at least, the cheat lost!
                            Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                            Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Sent her off for what KoA?.....time wasting is all she can be penalised for which is a yellow card offence.

Blatant or not if the rules allow it then it will happen

Comment

Seems to have in a way little coverage this time.
                                There are many events but the times I have swapped channels as there has been a presenter talking about "the games" or something unrelated I have lost count of.
                                Several times the presenter has been speaking to members of the public, in what it seems to be an attempt to fill in a spare 5 or 10 minutes. At the Olympic games I would not expect there to be need to occupy 5 or 10 minutes with what is chat and banter. Isn't there a sport or two going on?

Have to say this idea of football, golf, tennis and rugby in them to me is just a waste. There is more then enough of them at other times. Actually the BBC has tennis and golf on at this present time, and I am watching The Mummy for about the 20th time. And I play golf, just badly. But I don't really want to see it in the Olympics.

The Mummy has just finished, so looks like MIB II next.
                                Just seems poor that the Olmpics coverage is so average.
                                Last edited by Kirk; 13-08-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X