No announcement yet.

Here We Go Again.........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps I am being a bit dumb here (nothing new) but how do you get food into it and what was the hook for in the original spec?
    Now here's a question, can you buy clear plastic 5 inch drain pipes? I am thinking I could pipe my fish all round the garden! maybe via the kitchen work top.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Yes indeed you can Bill
      Acrylic Tube, Extruded (Clear) - 150mm OD to 300mm OD
      ...problem is that you'd have to use plastic fish ( otherwise you'd have the RSPCF after you!)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

BM.....have you seen the fish in there yet?

I had a little goooogle ( as I do )... And I found someone who filled their sphere with the hosepipe from underneath so no need to suck out the air- she left a small air pocket so the food pellets floated on the surface.that would also help keep that raised bit of the water oxygenated.

I love what you have made...never heard of one before!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Yes indeed you can Bill
          Acrylic Tube, Extruded (Clear) - 150mm OD to 300mm OD
          ...problem is that you'd have to use plastic fish ( otherwise you'd have the RSPCF after you!)
          There may even be an RSPCPF (Royal society for cruelty to plastic fish) I just fancied seeing a huge Koi shooting between my cabbages lol.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I had a little goooogle ( as I do )... And I found someone who filled their sphere with the hosepipe from underneath so no need to suck out the air- she left a small air pocket so the food pellets floated on the surface.that would also help keep that raised bit oxygenated
            Wonder if this would work?

Fill container with water to top
            Place tile (or board) over, invert into water onto supports
            Slide tile out (probably need two people)

Might give this a go if I can find a glass container.....
            Both my fish and my grandson would love this.
            But I won't let him stay down there too long.
            Last edited by Nicos; 29-06-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
              There may even be an RSPCPF (Royal society for cruelty to plastic fish) I just fancied seeing a huge Koi shooting between my cabbages lol.
              Might be worth patenting that idea....I wonder if it would act as a good bird / cat deterrent ...triggered by movement?

BM...I love these DIY threads of yours...are you sure you're not a relative of Heath Robinson ?

Comment

Might be worth patenting that idea....I wonder if it would act as a good bird / cat deterrent ...triggered by movement?

BM...I love these DIY threads of yours...are you sure you're not a relative of Heath Robinson ?
                Oh the irony, a fish scaring off birds and cats.

Comment

I had a little goooogle ( as I do )... And I found someone who filled their sphere with the hosepipe from underneath so no need to suck out the air- she left a small air pocket so the food pellets floated on the surface.that would also help keep that raised bit of the water oxygenated.

I love what you have made...never heard of one before!
                  The small space at the top with air in has to be a partial vacuum, that's what holds the water in. I can see fish surfacing and their eyeballs popping out!!!! (I'm a glass half empty kind of guy).

Comment

Ouch!!!

The brill thing about BM's tank is that he can also keep a better eye on the health of his fish.

Comment

• Tanks for that

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                        Perhaps I am being a bit dumb here (nothing new) but how do you get food into it and what was the hook for in the original spec?
                        You're not being dumb at all Bill..........
                        I've devised an easy to make feeder but I want you to tell me how you would do it. I'll post pics of mine tomorrow.

The hook on Mk1 was simply so I could use it to lower it into the pond.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          BM.....have you seen the fish in there yet?........I love what you have made...never heard of one before!
                          Thanks Nic, yes they were in the tank this morning but too quick for me to get my phone out.......
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Originally posted by Raybon View Post
                            Wonder if this would work?

Fill container with water to top
                            Place tile (or board) over, invert into water onto supports
                            Slide tile out (probably need two people)
                            Depending on the size of the container, you may need 4 people to lift it as it will be so heavy. Far easier to get the wet & dry vac out & suck the air out of it. Done in seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              You're not being dumb at all Bill..........
                              I've devised an easy to make feeder but I want you to tell me how you would do it. I'll post pics of mine tomorrow.

The hook on Mk1 was simply so I could use it to lower it into the pond.

Off the top of my head, I would make a tube with a bend in one end into which the food would go, then hook it under the jar and pour a jug of water down the tube. As the pellets float they will rise to the top of the jar. It would probably need some testing and development lol.

Hmm already thought of a flaw in that idea, the pellets might float out the minute it gets into the water and before its under the jar. still thinking.
                              Last edited by Bill HH; 29-06-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• How about getting one of those smoking pipes that has a lid on it, attach it to a stick and a piece of string to the lid. Slide it under the jar, pull the string and away they go. You don't need a smoking pipe if you can make a similar device.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X