Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

annoying neighbours in the garden, whats up with them!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    My neighbour on the one side was very friendly, always offering to help ...
    He doesnt speak to me anymore,...and it has hurt me a lot.
    Bill, you realise that he was only being friendly in order to get his extension?

You don't need that kind of "friend" in your life, but you can continue to be civil.
    My OH's best friend earned less than him, then in the recession his work dried up. OH wanted to help him out, so we gave him some work. It was poorly done, but we took it on the chin. Gave him more (different) work, he didn't turn up. Twice.
    Then he wanted us to be guarantor on a loan for a new works van. He didn't get a van, he went on holiday with the money.
    Then he wanted another loan, this time for a works van. We said no, sorry. He didn't speak to us for 2 years after that, my OH was heartbroken.

Originally posted by hadenuf View Post
    the last few years i just dont feel like it anymore i would like some privacy
    I'm not a social person either, I have a lot of solitary hobbies that I like to spend my time on, I don't like gossip or what's on telly, so I just wave & smile to my neighbours without getting drawn into conversations.

Originally posted by hadenuf View Post
    so just have to say hello i suppose
    I don't understand why that's troubling you?
    Saying hello is just that: hello. It doesn't mean they're your friends, or that you have to speak to them, but it does help everyone to feel better if neighbours are polite & civil to each other. There are people at work I don't like, but I still say hello and put a smile on my face ~ it keeps the atmosphere pleasant rather than tense.

I am on friendly terms with all 4 of my immediate neighbours, but I won't attend coffee mornings or "drinks", and I won't be drawn into disputes (2 of them don't talk to each other and they're always looking for someone to take sides)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      People probably didn't disturb you cos they thought you were deranged...........
      What do you mean 'think' ??
      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Bill, you realise that he was only being friendly in order to get his extension?
        Yes it did occur to me.years ago my brother in law (David) and his wife used to visit twice week at least, eat and drink us out of hearth and home, his car failed the MOT and he asked me if i could help, I did the work (6 hours) the parts cost me £100 and i did the labour free. He didnt pay me and they didnt visit us anymore, I couldnt believe it.Two years later my other brother in law (his younger brother) told me that David was selling a grinding machine for £120, so i said I would have it, after I got it I sent a message to say we were even now!!! within a week they started visiting again! Some people.

My old pappy used to say "If you want to lose a friend, lend him some money" He also said "Give a tramp a horse and he'll ride over you" He did a lot of talking my old pappy.
        Last edited by Bill HH; 25-10-2013, 10:03 AM.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post

My old pappy used to say "If you want to lose a friend, lend him some money"
          He's bang on the money, it's true

Comment

Ohh we used to have problems when i was younger at home, after mum and dad split up, dad would make a sport of going up to the veggie plots and watching his neighbours go indoors! Then there was the hedge game... Who was going to crack first, then watch as everyone ame out on the same day to trim the hedges. Dad just treated it as sport in the end.

We have had some problems with one side here, they run a childcare there so the toys that come over is horrendous, ive told them we have the puppy so good luck. We also have them damaging the fence which she cant be bothered to fix so ive protected my side, and well the rubbish that her builders threw over while putting in her decking, some broke my cool house. However, this is pretty minor apart from the sweet wrappers, building materials and damage. You bring it up with her and she shrugs and says "thats children" .

I am so glad my other neighbour is so cool, so nice and helpful! She even lends me her lawn mower as we dont have one yet.

It seems pretty pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzi View Post
              sweet wrappers, building materials and damage. You bring it up with her and she shrugs and says "thats children" .
              It'd all be going back over the fence. If she said anything, you can say "ah, that's children for you". Even if it isn't children doing it

Comment

Haha yes, well i'm not all sweetness and light, the first time i cleaned it up, and mentioned it to her while passing. The next time the building materias came i knocked and said no, this is not on. The fifth time when my cool house got broken, i may have bagged it all up including the sweet and crisp packets and piled it up on her door step

It hasnt happened lately but i think its weather related. I still want to go over and weed kill her drive, its driving me nuts. If it all kicks off again next summer i shall just continue to throw it back on her property.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

WE have an annoying chap on the plot next door to us at our allotment. He asked, well, told me that since I wasn't using my compost bin, he should have it. Er... no.
                  He took a brand new pair of secateurs I had left on my green house staging because as he put it " they were within reach" and he needed to use them at that moment in time.
                  He also took a neighbours wheelbarrow off her plot and pumped up the tyre (which was flat)and then presumed because he had done this, it was rightfully his and she could borrow it if she wanted.
                  People like this, that scrounge and think they can take whatever they want, whenever they want, do my head in !
                  Needless to say, we don't speak to one another if we're on at the same time. He clearly thinks that words and good manners cost money. They don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Normans Mum View Post
                    WE have an annoying chap on the plot next door to us at our allotment. He asked, well, told me that since I wasn't using my compost bin, he should have it. Er... no.
                    And what's worse is when they have a hissy fit when you take things back off them that weren't theirs!

Comment

Originally posted by Normans Mum View Post
                      He took a brand new pair of secateurs I had left on my green house staging because as he put it " they were within reach" and he needed to use them at that moment in time.
                      He also took a neighbours wheelbarrow off her plot and pumped up the tyre (which was flat)and then presumed because he had done this, it was rightfully his and she could borrow it if she wanted.
                      People like this, that scrounge and think they can take whatever they want, whenever they want, do my head in !
                      Needless to say, we don't speak to one another if we're on at the same time. He clearly thinks that words and good manners cost money. They don't.
                      You have a golden opportunity for revenge here.
                      Use a spare pair of secatuers and place the old pair back where he pinched them from, but smear the handles with the most obnoxious doggy doo you can find.
                      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X