X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Mother...............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      That's interesting Darwin, I've often wondered what purpose a wasp serves,
      That's where marmite comes from.

I've seen crow and fox corpses in various states of rot when I was a kid in Worcester. We used to disappear over the fields for hours to go and play around the stream and woods.
      If it was meant to scare kids away it didn't work.

Comment

Some species of wasps are pollinators and also some are parisitic/omnivorous and prey on aphids and other insects. So some of them do have a purpose

Comment

I've even seen a wasp having a go at the caterpillars of the cabbage white. They are scavengers and do clean up loads. It's just a shame the sods sting for the hell of it .

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            That's interesting Darwin, I've often wondered what purpose a wasp serves, I have tried to think of something but just keep drawing a blank. I guess they must keep some pest at bay but given the choice I would choose said pest..........
            Without a fig wasp figs would not survive. Thats quite interesting!

Wasp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

If you want to get rid if wasps though I hear if you nail one to a gate post it'll scare the rest away.

Comment

With regard to the purpose of things, unfortunately we sometimes don't find out their purpose until their extinct.

Colin
                Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 08-03-2013, 04:21 PM.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I was brought up on a hillfarm in the Central Highlands and I remember there used to be a "gibbet" on one of the fences where the estate gamekeeper would hang dead stoats etc so i don't think it's restricted to any particular area.

On a slight tangent - I remember reading The Little Grey Men as a child - a truly wonderful book.

Comment

It always used to upset me as a child that the farmer in that remote Cumbrian valley hung crows on the stone wall after he had shot them. I loved cheeky crows. He explained to me that it deterred the others for some reason or other, he had no idea why...and then showed me the result of too many crows= a lamb with its eyes pecked out by them. Blind she was, so would have to go for meat and not kept for breeding.

Comment

I've never heard of this but I've lived on the outskirts of London my whole life. I have seen a squirrel with their eyes pecked out by crows in the park though. Horrific noise it was making. I hurried past with my little one but I wonder if anyone put it out of it's misery. Crows give me the heebie jeebies as they seem to have no fear. Magpies in other countries are very aggressive attack people regularl so maybe us in Europe should count ourselves lucky?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X