Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things our parents/grandparents used to say!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the older generation used to say,
    don't do any washing on new years eve,as you will wash some one out,as in kill em,
    and if you did washing on new year day,you wash a new life in,
    If you were caught with a finger near the nose,you will loose it,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

When caught doing something bold - I'll dance on yer body when I get ye! Or that old favourite that still makes me smile ... I'll break your legs ah bless them, sopranos but in a loving sort of way

Comment

my dad would say very quickly
        "don't stand there walking about,get up and sit down,I've told you once about that twice before ,next time you do it don't do it again,go and get a shovel and sweep up"
        garunteed to make you stop what you were doing and look confused
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Looking very wise.....you can guess eggs when you see shells
          Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Don't come running to me when you get knocked over (me playing on my scooter)

If you don't stop crying ill give ya something to cry for

Comment

I was brought up by my granny in Blackpool for the first 8 years of my life along with 3 of my cousins (all boys). She came out with some classics.
              Stop thee tithering (when we were giggling over something
              What's for tea - what you can catch 3 jumps to the pantry and a bite off the latch
              I'll hit thee were it comes from (as she smacked me in the mouth after being cheeky)
              She once cracked me over the head with a plate and broke it.
              It must have been very hard for her. God, I loved that old lady!!! (tear in my eye)

Comment

Mothers classic was 'I'll swing fer yer' when you was being naughty. For those who don't know it refers to being hanged for murder.

Potty
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Potty did you ever get 'you'll feel the back of my hand if you don't behave'
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

If you got under the feet they used to say "your stood there like sumat owt of tussards"
                    or if you were being nosey whats that the reply was "wing wams for meddlers"

Comment

B in P, sure did and felt it more than once. She was born in 1902 losing her father in WW1, the hard life she led as a youngster made her as tough as old boots.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                        or if you were being nosey whats that the reply was "wing wams for meddlers"
                        My dad would tell me it was "a wim wam for a duck's bottom". Still haven't a clue what he meant!
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My parents always told me not to accept sweets from strangers.
                          Fine - but they never told me why. So, when we gave a lift to a soldier who was plodding his way across the Brecon Beacons and he offered his bag of toffees around, I refused to take one but the others did. I'm puzzled by their eagerness although Sweets had only just come off rationing so a toffee would have been a real treat.
                          After we drop off the soldier, I have to explain that I refused because the sweets might have been poisoned and I'm worried that they may die.
                          ............and I won't even attempt to explain how I interpreted their advice on not going down the back lanes

Comment

My mother always used to say to me when I asked what was for tea.

Bees knees and chickens elbows.

When I was going out, it was

Put your coat on you'll catch your death. followed swiftly by Cau'r drws (shut the door)

And one of my personal favourites,

If you don't stop pulling that face the wind will change and you'll stay like that.
                            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

When I got up in the morning it would be

look what the cat dragged in.

I used to get

Will you be quiet!!! quite a lot, mainly because I used to say

mum, mum, mum, mum, mum, mum, Mum, mmmumm, MUM, mmmmmmmmum, mummummummummummummum. WILL YOU BE QUIET!!!!!

I use every saying my parents used on me and more.
                              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Another favourite when I turned up scruffy was 'Yo look like yo have bin dragged through a hedge backards'.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X