No announcement yet.

James Wong - your thoughts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it gets people enthusiastic about growing then that's a good thing. If the things he suggests are more temperamental than the more usual stuff then it might be a bit deflating.

Some of the things sound very interesting though.

Comment

I quite like James Wong. Quite a few of the Grapes are growing some of his seeds this year, so should be worth blethering about the results. If the cucamelons are as prolific as achocha we are going to be scunnered of them. Sorry about the Scots words but I'm feelng really Scottish today. To tie back in with James Wong his publisher is based in Bishopbriggs, Scotland and guess where I was born

Comment

He's not the only gardener, so why would we mention his books specifically?
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          He's not the only gardener, so why would we mention his books specifically?
          No reason, really. I just found his book interesting, and thought I'd mention it here. I was just wondering what other people thought. Going by that maxim, then, shouldn't we mention any books at all?

Comment

TBH,I have enough problems growing "traditional" edibles without the extra problems that would surely befall me trying out "new fangled" stuff.
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Herbsandveg View Post
              No reason, really. I just found his book interesting, and thought I'd mention it here. I was just wondering what other people thought. Going by that maxim, then, shouldn't we mention any books at all?
              Did I say that? Try searching and you will see it's come up before.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

The more people who get others interested in growing food the better, but I've not watched him, heard him, or read him, so he does nowt for me personally. It seems to come in waves; we've had (recently) Hugh F-W and River Cottage, Jamie Oliver, Carol Klein, Titchmarsh, Delia smith... In the 70s it was John Seymour and The Good Life, amongst others. If it gets people interested and having a go, then I don't care who it is

Comment

If you search on "Wong" you'll find lots of references to him. Here are a couple to start you off
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...highlight=wong
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hts_69542.html
                  You'll probably find it very hard to come up with a topic that hasn't been discussed on here previously

Comment

I'm happy for anyone to promote gardening, particularly unusual crops. However what I don't like is being ripped off for seeds.

Comment

Most things are covered several times VVG

H&V,the on forum search is not overly user friendly (as has been noted elsewhere ) so I have done a gurgle & it came up with ...... https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...w=1024&bih=631 .... & came up with 84 threads spread over the last 3 years,which pales into insignificance if you do the same for Alys Fowler she gets 6,760 hits
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Perhaps not. I probably misunderstood what you meant. I apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                          Most things are covered several times VVG

H&V,the on forum search is not overly user friendly (as has been noted elsewhere ) so I have done a gurgle & it came up with ...... https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...w=1024&bih=631 .... & came up with 84 threads spread over the last 3 years,which pales into insignificance if you do the same for Alys Fowler she gets 6,760 hits
                          I think what VVG might mean is that the question about whether 'it is ok' to like him or not is completely irrelevant. If you like him, then like him. If you don't then don't. Do your own research and make your own mind up. Not necessarily all research happens on the Vine.

We aren't in the school yard and if one person likes someone and the others don't, it doesn't make either of them wrong, they are both right.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                            I quite like James Wong. Quite a few of the Grapes are growing some of his seeds this year, so should be worth blethering about the results. If the cucamelons are as prolific as achocha we are going to be scunnered of them. Sorry about the Scots words but I'm feelng really Scottish today. To tie back in with James Wong his publisher is based in Bishopbriggs, Scotland and guess where I was born
                            They aren't. Even in a greenhouse in the Cotswolds they weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                              Bishopbriggs, eh? I spent my teens in Torrance, went to school in Bearsden.

Sorry, OP, tangentisation....
                              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Right - crosses them off the list

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X