It must be a mistake, surely?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    Ah I understand now. Although news story today declares true dairy is healthier for you than all these "mocked up" healthy fats. Always been butter, cream and full fat milk for me.
    Absolutely! I've eaten more cream this year than in the previous 45 and lost 2½ stone. We eat loads of cheese of any kind too. I did buy dripping for frying but bought dripping is just wrong....it tastes horrible.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Evaporated milk isn't the only steep price rise lately - bread has shot up in price.

Comment

I don't drink milk and not that fond of cream but adore yoghurt, cheese and butter. None of this pretend butter for me

Comment

You can make toffee and fudge with evaporated milk instead of condensed - it's easier to dissolve the sugar because it doesn't reach saturation point as quick, but then you have to boil it a bit longer to get rid of the extra moisture

You can also make a good fake cheesecake by whipping up evaporated milk with un-set jelly mix

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I have to ask, what do you all use it for? (apart from frothy hot chocolate).
            My mum has a recipe for a chocolate cake and that uses evaporated milk - I think it's one out of the veto book? But tbh I don't care where it comes from all I know is its yummy
            Last edited by Matt94; 27-11-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I live on evap, I use it in tea, coffee, hot choc, hot cereal.......a simple product for a simple ape.....
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've just tried to overcome one of my fears - I stood on the top step of the kitchen stool, hanging on to the wall with one hand, and looked into the top of a cupboard! There are things in there I had forgotten about completely, and I can't even reach them to pull them out. BUT I did find 2 tins of Condensed Milk with an expiry date of May 2006
                ...and a Carton of Rice Dream Best before January 2007.
                I do wish I was taller

Comment

Following on from Matt94 - Delia's Complete Cookery Course book has a recipe for the most delicious chocolate fudge cake and the filling an topping are made with condensed milk....mmmm

WARNING - every time I've made it I've ended up throwing out the pan I've used as it's got all stuck and a real battle to get clean
                  Your brain gets smart, but your head gets dumb

Comment

That condensed milk will be five VC...time to make Millionaire's shortbread!

Try it in the microwave, it saves on pans....
                    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                      That condensed milk will be fine VC
                      Of course it will, things in cans take donkeys years to go 'off' - especially sugar!

Comment

.....but, but, but I don't like the stuff Its a relic of an earlier existence.

Comment

Havent had any for years - not since the boys were small (they're 38 and 42 years old now), and then we had it on tinned fruit (yuk).

But thinking back, I liked it just poured over sliced bananas. I did that (if I remember rightly) rather than throw some away. (Still the same now - waste not, want not!).
                          Mmm, I may have to buy a tin just to see if it still tastes as good as I remember!
                          Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            .....but, but, but I don't like the stuff Its a relic of an earlier existence.
                            Mother used to spread it on bread (Condensed not evap)............OMG, the thought makes me want to gipp.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

[QUOTE=SarzWix;1057571]You can make toffee and fudge with evaporated milk instead of condensed - it's easier to dissolve the sugar because it doesn't reach saturation point as quick, but then you have to boil it a bit longer to get rid of the extra moisture

My mum always used to make tablet for Sales of Work, Coffee Mornings etc using Evaporated rather than condensed milk, it gives it a very slightly softer fudgy quality. It always sold out way before other people's tablet. I can't most other tablet as it's way too sweet.

Comment

We used to have sugar sandwiches..........and my father would put sugar on lettuce - weird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X