No announcement yet.

What Colour is Your Livingroom?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is dry lining and plaster/plaster board all around - as VC will testify

Oh and my celieng has holes in too

It's not very relaxing at the mo. Once it's done though it's going to be steel blue/grey, white shutters and er mrs doesn't know yet but a projector + hidden screen

Comment

Yep, Chris, that just about describes your decor. I'm a bit worried about the hidden screen though - hope you won't be watching something blue when you should be cooking

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
        BH wants to paint our stuccoed walls green but, although it is supposed to be the most restful colour for the eyes, I don't want cold green in what is already a dark room. Despite having French windows at one end, and a huge picture window at the other, this room gets hardly any natural light.

Currently we have Laura Ashley Stella on one wall (the only smooth wall) and the rest of the room is magnolia apart from the fire place which is deep red and covered with small gothic oak mirrors (it looks better than it sounds, honestly)
        Green is not strictly speaking " most restful colour",more correctly it is the colour that is easiest to ignore when applied over large areas,it was for many years the favoured colour for office walls.
        I am not aware of your wallpaper colour/pattern but given your chimney breast colour & furnishing,I would think along the lines of russet possibly with a bias towards the redder tints.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thinking back 40 years or so ,my lecturer always said that when deciding a colour scheme,we should first identify one colour that was definitely being used (not always to be the dominant one) & the area that it was to be used on,then for the remainder of the scheme ....... look to nature ..... for colours that go together & the relationship between the amounts of each.

Thus the reasoning regarding green in my first post

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            .....I would think along the lines of russet possibly with a bias towards the redder tints.
            Were you a Hairdresser, BB?

Comment

Nope nothing that grand or interesting VC ,I have a few bits of paper & an award that allow me to express an opinion on the thread subject matter though

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                Nope nothing that grand or interesting VC ,I have a few bits of paper & an award that allow me to express an opinion on the thread subject matter though
                I haven't but I still give my opinions - most of them only worthy of being ignored

Comment

I just been & tried to look at the said wallpaper,the starry pattern is a constant but it seem to be available in many colours what is the backing colour of yours Jules ? how high is the room ? picture/chair rails ? any other features ?
                  If you go russet + (redder shades) it will appear warm but draw the walls in
                  If you go russet - (yellower shades) it will be brighter & open the room up more

Comment

Well, let's see....

The carpet is a pale terracotta (ok, it's salmon, but was here when we moved in, it's incredibly expensive hard-wearing Berber and, sadly, is going nowhere) I've put a huge dark red wool kelim over it so only wee bits show. The walls with stucco are the one which is mostly picture window and the French window wall, and either side of the fireplace. The other wall, the one you can see most of, is papered in my favourite Laura Ashley Stella - deep cream with tiny gold stars. This is topped, on only this one wall, by our cat border. The furniture is pale birch and the huge three piece suite is a chestnut leather vintage Odeon suite. The curtains (there are a lot of them) are a deep chestnut chenille. So all warm colours and it does look cosy of an evening.

I can't say that I want to change anything. As I see it, adding a cool green to a couple of walls just won't work.

We were going to have the same Stella paper in the hallway, but our bargain of the century (20 rolls for £50) turned out to be papier-mâché and unusable.

I don't know where he's got the decorating bug from, but I sure wish he'd take it back there....
                    Last edited by julesapple; 22-11-2012, 01:55 PM.
                    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

PS I've just realised there are cobwebs everywhere and those mirrors are filthy .....
                      Jules

Comment

If anyone wants to have a look at how the Munsell colour globe works (when open right click & use magnifier tool).............

http://irtel.uni-mannheim.de/colsys/Munsell_A0.pdf

Comment

That's a thing beauty in it's own right, like the pantone charts. I love anything with a spectrum.
                          Jules

Comment

Loving the cat frieze there jules

You chimney is close to burnt sienna so in the natural order of things raw sienna would be logical,but given the paper I would go towards a light umber,along the lines of the leftside of the pic below..

Comment

That's very warm looking, I like it. You don't think, given the lack of good natural light that it's too dark?
                              Jules

Comment

Hard to say from here Jules but if you print that picture & one of the chimney breast,you could take them to the decorators merchant & using those as a start,point study their colour swatches to find one of the correct chromatic value for your room
                                Last edited by bearded bloke; 22-11-2012, 02:19 PM. Reason: comma

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X