No announcement yet.

What Colour is Your Livingroom?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, whichever way we look at it, it ain't gonna be green......unless it's something along the lines of 10Y24 on the Munsell.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

That is certainly an excellent tonal match to the breast,but by heck it will make it a dark room IMHO
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

You're quite right, but to my eye it was the only green that would go. I've just shown it to the BH who said 'Bleurgh...farmyards!' It wasn't quite the Eau de Nil he was thinking of....

I'm used to dealing with colour, as I put fabrics together every day. I wouldn't say I have the professional eye, but I'm not bad.
        Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          Bladdy Magnolia all over.
          Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          I think all landlords do ... the entire house ... MAGNOLIA.

I rented until 5 years ago, and yes, every house/flat was magnolia. That's why it is banned from our house, and it's colour all the way
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine is green and cream stripes below the picture rail and cream with fleur de lys above. It has been that way for 9 years. It was a stop gap measure using the wallpaper I bought cheap to pimp up our previous house to sell but never got round to it. I never intended to live with it for any amount of time and have been intending to redecorate (goldie/yellow shade) for at least the last 4 years but have never got round to that either, sigh.

Still, it beats the raw-sausage pink woodchip that was there when we moved in.

Comment

Well all my bungalow was covered in textured paper and emulsioned over in - guess what? - Magnolia! I hate to admit that 5 years later it's still the same.

I am a bit of a colour chart addict though and every now and then I plan what colour to emulsion every room. But then the thought of trying to move all the furniture while I paint it puts me off and everything gets forgotten about.

That Munsell chart has set me off again - and I agree, it's lovely to look at.
              Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

We've just decorated some of our main rooms - the sitting room is porcelain (not magnolia but definitely off white), the dining room and stairs are 'jabot' - another shade of off white but not magnolia and our bedroom is snowman (very pale grey). All nice and neutral - we like plain and neutral - the colour in the rooms comes from pictures, cushions, curtains etc. These colours are from Dulux ... silly names though!

Comment

I've just finished decorating part of our living room, I'll take a picture later and add it tomorrow for you jules. OH picked everything, muggings just does the donkey work. Its gone from deep earthy tones to lighter taupe, mushroom colours and teal/duck egg. OH wanted to brighten the room up, as she thought it was too dark, I don;t question the madness I just do as I'm told.
                  However I would say if she ever buys that wallpaper (B&Q) again I'm leaving home. It was like paper mache when wet. Anyway you'll see tomorrow.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Whatever colours you narrow it down to, Jules, it's well worth investing in tester pots and some lining paper.

Slap the proposed colours onto individual lengths of lining paper then you can stick them up on the different walls, next to different things, and see them in different lights.

It will give you a much better feel of how the colour will look in situ.
                    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Mikey, that's why I'm a Laura Ashley girl...their paper is brilliant.

I have narrowed it down to;

1) We are NOT decorating the livingroom. End of.

and

2) Hadn't you better get on with replacing the hall & landing wallpaper that you have removed, darling?

And the only condition I have to add to the above choices is; Before Christmas!
                      Last edited by julesapple; 22-11-2012, 05:59 PM.
                      Jules

Comment

I should've said....I'm making the colour choices in the hall/landing, so all photos and suggestions are gratefully received

Presently we have pale cowslip yellow walls , Laura Ashley Colourwash paper, with this border of sailing boats. The carpet is deepest bottle green.
                        Last edited by julesapple; 22-11-2012, 05:57 PM.
                        Jules

Comment

That's it Jules - put your foot down with a firm hand

Comment

Loving the Munsell chart - very useful, thanks for that!

Jules, I'd go for 7.5GY4/6 or 5/8. I prefer green to any other colour.

We are renting, and have Maggot-nolia too. *Pukes. Although the kitchen is grey and white, and the bathroom is blue and white. Racey, huh!?

I'd change all but the bathroom, but we're not staying, so I haven't bothered. Our lounge suite is dark blue. The curtains here are a yellowy-colour and the carpets are a sort of neutral oatmeal colour, so nothing clashes. I've added a rug and scatter cushions in varying colours and patterns, to complement and jazz it up a bit. Looks fine to me, but I'd love to replace the cheap and nasty curtains with lovely heavy drapes but there's no point if we're not staying. However, if I find any decent big ones on the 'Bay, in the meantime, who knows!
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              That's it Jules - put your foot down with a firm hand
                              He's just giving me his 'but, but, you know I don't wallpaper' speech. He's also given me his voucher codes for Amazon, so I'm thinking Wallpapering for Dummies?
                              Jules

Comment

I can't say too much as I'm a professional - decorating incompetent! My role was to strip paper, wash down walls and paintwork, paste paper (I know I said I don't DO wallpaper but that meant patterned paper, not plain-to be painted stuff), foot the ladder and clear up afterwards. Oh and the important bit - choose the colours. Decorating was the only time we ever argued - so it was best avoided.
                                I sympathise

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X