Old wives tales....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OH's Grandmother (who we firmly believe was a witch) used to say
    "the cats on the brain, there'll be rain".

And if Lilly-the-cat sleeps on her head, sure enough there's rain within 24 hours.....
    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      If your palm itches you'll either be paying out or receiving money. I can't remember which palm does what but the one that pays out always works for me!
      Left to leave, right to receive, rub it on wood, it's sure to come good.

My right palm often itches on Wednesday and Saturday and I rub it on wood. Hasn't come good yet though.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Cows laying down in the field means it's going to rain?
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

There must surely have been a grain of truth in them all somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidbun View Post
            I remember one from the playground where if you got the sap from a dandelion on you, you'd pee yourself...
            Hahaha we had this one at school too. Mind you, dandelion tea is a diurectic, which makes you pee a lot. Probably a confusion of the two.

I was told that rubbing dandelion milk on warts makes them disappear. i had one on my little finger which went after 2 weeks of being dabbed with D-milk so maybe some truth in that. But as i only had one, i couldn't test the theory again. Truth or lucky fluke, who knows

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
              Aww Steve, ya beat me to it!

"Never buy a pig in a poke...."
              Why would you want to???
              A poke was a type of bag, so it basically means dont buy something unless you know what are you're getting.

A bit like those guys from a few years ago who had a open-sided van & would show a massive stack of goodies for 50 quid, pass you a black plastic bag full of boxes, and then when you got them home, the boxes where full of rubbish.

Comment

Are you there VC,see what i mean,eating to many crusts ,
                Attached Files
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Wow Lottie, you must have been the one to start the backcombed beehive fashion! Must have been fun trying to wear a hat on that lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Wow Lottie, you must have been the one to start the backcombed beehive fashion! Must have been fun trying to wear a hat on that lot!!
                    see i was not a jokeing,
                    Thats how i was made to have it,these days i keep it short,have tried various products but it still has it's own way,when other kids took the micky,mam said they were only jelouse,,yayyy thats right,when i want to look extra nice,i am thankfull for my hot air roller brush,
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

The 'pig in a poke' was a little piglet, wriggling around in the bag, but in reality it was often a cat.
                      The evidence suggests that whatever you believe in will cure warts often enough to keep the idea alive, they seem to be susceptible to suggestion (ie, any decent placebo treatment will work if you are sufficiently convinced!)
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Rain before 7, fine before 11.
                        Not today it ain't

Comment

Red sky at night shepherds delight,meaning a great sunset will be another fine day tomoz,

Comment

Wash a blanket in May wash one of the family away, we never ever wash blankets in May.

What about sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt me. Oh yes they do.

Loads more that I grew up with but will have to think about them.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

Sticks and stones may break my bones
                              Was gonna say something about whips and chains but this is family forum so I wont.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                                my gran used to say one about a bee coming in the house but can't remember what it was now
                                In my house this often means...look out girls making plans to swarm
                                could be a 'scout' bee looking for a new home!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X