Old wives tales....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    My Mum told me the same thing and I always ate crusts (had to really as it was all there was Not a curl in sight, just wayward sticky out bits!
    you so lucky then,i always wanted long hair,but have to keep it short when i was at work in my late teens,i used to sit at the machine with rollers in to straighted it a bit,what a game,and 1 older woman asked whilst laughing,if my mum was frightened by a $$$$$$ ,have been tolled it was the irish gene but i was made to have it fluffed up into a pompom,no wonder i got picked on,plus glasses,all together now,AWE,,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

waste of a bacon rasher

Comment

we used to get told to eat our greens otherwise we'd have spots. When we pointed out we didn't have spots, the comeback was....'see? they're working already'

Comment

If the wind changes you'll get stuck like that, after pulling faces at my sister.

Didnt affect me though.

Attached Files

Comment

Aww Steve, ya beat me to it!

"Never buy a pig in a poke...."
            Why would you want to???
            When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Here's a gardening one. Carrot fly don't fly higher than 18". Total codswallop.

Comment

stick your tongue out when cutting onions, and you wont cry.

Comment

If your palm itches you'll either be paying out or receiving money. I can't remember which palm does what but the one that pays out always works for me!

Comment

My Gran also said the one about crusts and hair curling!!
                    I always used to counter it with 'I dont want curly hair like Aunty Barbara' (She had ringlets, which my Gran always attributed to her eating her crustas as a little girl!!)

We always had to drink the boiling veg water on Sunday, as that was were all the vitamins were!

If we had worts (which we didnt usually) find a stone the same size and bury it near the house and it should be gone within a month.

If you had bad news, tell the first bee you found in the garden, otherwise it would be unlucky. If a Bee comes into the house, you'll have a visitor, I think.....

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      If your palm itches you'll either be paying out or receiving money. I can't remember which palm does what but the one that pays out always works for me!
                      I always thought that was the first sign of madness!
                      Last edited by northepaul; 07-04-2012, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                        So it does work!!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                          no,but can drive you mad when happens,we were tolled about itchy hands,left to give,right to receive
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I heard an interesting one a few days ago. No idea if it's local to here, is French, or also applies to the UK......

It never rains when its the High Spring Tide and a Full Moon at the same time.

Anyone ever heard of that one????
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well full moon always brings spring tides (so does new moon), so that should mean one day a month without rain.....
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

St Swithin... If it rains on St Swithin's day, it will rain for the next 40 days, if it's dry on St Swithin's day, it will be dry for the next 40 days.
                                Can't remember the date, but I think it's in July.
                                How about eating apple cores will lead to a tree starting to grow inside you? (well it might START, but it wouldn't get far before being..... elsewhere.)
                                Crow on the roof means someone is going to die (maybe true once upon a time, perhaps they could 'smell' someone ill, and they are scavengers after all...)
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X