Alum?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
    Dont suppose you could use radox instead?
    At the moment I'd prefer a good back massage! -you offering??..nah - you'll be out supping Brains with the froggies won't you????
    Last edited by Nicos; 17-03-2012, 09:22 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      I'd never even heard of it. What do you use it for?
      Try gooooogling it- it has soooo many uses!- just wanted a small amount to try- if I felt comfortable with it.

Old fashioned remidies can be 'modern/eco' or downright rubbish/worrying...just wanted a small amout before I decide!

Comment

If it's the alum I know of, it is a mineral that once upon a time was used for fixing dyes in cloth. One of the reasons that we do this on a household basis less nowadays is that it became so rare, and thus costly.
        All the commercially available supplies ran out in the UK, so it has now been superseded by bulk shipments for commercial uses, or other alternatives such as dyes that are more colourfast.
        I'd try craft shops, and online forums for spinsters, wool carders, and the like.
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Forum for spinsters????..te he...me thinks you mean spinners????

Funny thing is that I'm trying to source it in the UK...which really seems to have lost most of it's traditional connections with- well- basically 'natural' stuff ( be it good or bad???)

It wouldn't surprise me if I could buy it over the counter here for a few cents...but it's always easier to do research in your native tongue/amongst friends

Basically I want to use it for curing bunny skins which would normally be chucked on the bonfire or in the bin.
          Not nice I know- but seems very sad/such a waste to chuck the skin/fur away when only the meat is actually wanted. ( yup- this is France for you! )

I've also got access to sheep fleeces- so I'd like to have a go at them- rather than seeing them set alight in the fields.

Bit sad I know- but most of us eat meat- and these are the by-products which are shameful to waste in my opinion.

ideas please peeps!...keep em coming!

Comment

Natural mineral crystal deodorants are ammonium alum ... is that what you're after? (I don't know what you want it for? edit: ah, it just came up: bunny skins)
            PitRok W1060 Push-Up Crystal Deodorant 100g: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

or from health food shops

It's called Fatakdi Powder in spice/ethnic groceries: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acata...di-Powder.html

and on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100g-ALUM-...8#ht_500wt_969
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-03-2012, 09:06 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              I want to use it for curing bunny skins
              I started to read this, then felt a bit queasy: how to cure a rabbit skin?? - The Hunting Life

You may not need alum at all (I didn't get that far down the page)

Comment

Well- that's the problem....
                Every time I pull up the definition the name changes.
                I'm REALLY hoping there's a Grape out there who already tans skins/fur who can advise me ( even if it's by private pm )

Basically I want to preserve bunny skins to sew together to create a throw for our bed - evenually.
                I know it sound a bit gruesome but I'd prefer that to them being chucked away/bonfired.

2 sheds- I'm aware of the use of the crystals as a deoderant- sound very interesting!

Comment

If you want queasy try this one River Cottage - Forums

Comment

No- the links are really not nice - sorry.
                    Some say alum is no good- and some say it's the best choice- although the skins shrink.

I just want to try to make the most of something which would otherwise be utterly wasted. Surely that's a good thing???

Comment

Yes, that's a good thing.

Comment

VC..ewwww...but it DOES make sense. Thanks

Hmmph...perhaps I need to post on a different type of forum/site- but I know peeps interests do cross forums/sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Yes, that's a good thing.
                          Thank you- I was wondering if I was getting to be a bit too 'Cave Goddess' like???

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Natural mineral crystal deodorants are ammonium alum ... is that what you're after? (I don't know what you want it for? edit: ah, it just came up: bunny skins)
                            PitRok W1060 Push-Up Crystal Deodorant 100g: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

or from health food shops

It's called Fatakdi Powder in spice/ethnic groceries: Alum Powder (Fatakdi Powder) - Top-Op

and on eBay: 100g ALUM POWDER FATAKDI POWDER GROUND ANTI BACTERIAL DEODRANT AGENT | eBay

Or.........Alum (aluminium potassium sulphate) 250g: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

It appears Boots no longer sell it & Lloyds Pharmacy only sell it on prescription.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm curious too - not that I could do it but I do believe that if an animal dies, every part of it should be put to use. Seems you're not alone in France Curing rabbit skins - View topic :: Total France

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post

It appears Boots no longer sell it & Lloyds Pharmacy only sell it on prescription.
                                Ah well- why would a GP prescribe it for treating/preparing bunny skins?- clearly that's going to be a non starter for me - darn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X