Alum?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I'm curious too - not that I could do it but I do believe that if an animal dies, every part of it should be put to use. Seems you're not alone in France Curing rabbit skins - View topic :: Total France
    Hmm..interesting...but I've still no idea where to get the 'stuff' from!!!!
    Last edited by Nicos; 17-03-2012, 09:29 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Ah well- why would a GP prescribe it for treating/preparing bunny skins?- clearly that's going to be a non starter for me - darn.
      Never say never.......we'll keep looking.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I'm curious too - not that I could do it but I do believe that if an animal dies, every part of it should be put to use. [/url]
        Reminds me of what an old worthy used to do with dead rats. The skins were used for fur coats, their nails and teeth were used for necklaces, their tales were used for ropes and the excrement was used for ----- wait for it ----ratchet screwdrivers

Comment

That's a terrible joke AP - I like it!

Comment

I know alum as an adjuvant used in vaccines which is either aluminium phosphate or aluminium hydroxide. Can you be specific as to which chemical form you mean as the alum you google may not be what you really want.

Labpak chemicals sell both of those aluminium salts.
            Last edited by Capsid; 17-03-2012, 10:00 PM.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Alum Powder (Fatakdi Powder) - Top-Op

And it looks like you can buy it from them in Dorset.

Contact Us
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've learnt so much this evening. How have I lived without a shedful of alum for so long?
                Natural Spa Supplies » Shop » Volcanic Alum Crystal Deodorant/Shavers Styptic

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                  Can you be specific as to which chemical form you mean as the alum you google may not be what you really want.

Nooo- that's the problem!....I've no idea what I'm actually looking for!
                  Just for curing/tanning bunny skins is a starter!

Any suggestions?

Comment

Ok you need aluminium ammonium sulphate for tanning.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

OK- thanks.

Tanning- and curing??? ( not quite got the term sorted yet!)...ie -want to keep the fur.

And so...where on earth can I buy that???

Comment

I'm still looking (and learning. I like learning). This seems very thorough: http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/tanninghides.pdf

"rabbit are thinskinned and require more care to avoid damage... To preserve small animal pelts, such as rabbit, airdry them... alum tanned skins often come out stiff and hard. Alcohol and turpentine tanning is a simple method best suited for small fur skins [like rabbit] "
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-03-2012, 08:15 AM.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Tea and vinegar recipe here: Curing rabbit skins - View topic :: Total France

Comment

and a forum "how to" using alum (ordered from an English chemist for bedsores): Tanning a hide- 10 easy steps to a well cured pelt or hide.

Comment

Have a read of this article about tannage végétal - he uses tree bark! Might be a mite nicer than nasty chemicals.
                              La Fabrication du Cuir et Le Tannage Végétal en Détails | Articles à propos du Moyen-âge

Comment

Nicos wants to cure the hide so that pdf article two sheds cited also uses aluminium ammonium sulphate which you can buy from LabPak chemicals.

Lab Supplies - ALUMINIUM AMMONIUM SULPHATE 12H2O GPR RE - P&R Labpak Limited

Please be careful when handling chemicals and read the safety sheet that comes with it; it is an irritant.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922848
                                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X