Same sex marriage........why not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    Not much logical about religion and remember that it was religion that used to control society with talk of fire and brimstone and such like. Fornicators would burn in hell etc. Christians even believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose from the dead. That's a head scratcher but millions upon millions of people still believe it and they have a similar belief in other biblical writings.
    True not much logical about faith, thats why it is called Faith.

You generalise when you suggest that the millions of people who believe in the ressurection also follow the more obscure tennants of the old testament.

Ok here is the theological bit: In the judeao christian faith, before Christ man was ruled under law, don't wear nylon, eat shellfish, be a witch, gay, eat pork etc. Forgiveness for breaking the law came from sacrifice, animal mostly. Christ is considered to be the absolute fulfilment of the law, the final sacrifice. As I see it adherence to the old law is now not required, just a faith in Christ, who is the embodiment of love. Here endeth the theological bit
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

*passes chocolate hobnobs to Fi
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Sorry, I may have got carried away last night...must, must start knitting...I have no problem with the Christian faith and truly hope it didn't come across that way. It's just the odd 'law' or two that the religion side seem to make so huge and I'd genuinely like to know why.

I chatted to a friend who is JW recently. We were talking about the many things her faith doesn't allow her to do but the many that the Bible say are wrong, are supposedly OK. I think, if I remember rightly, she said that they believe the flood wiped out the laws such as women wearing mixed fibres and not eating an animal with split hoof that doesn't chew the cud. I seem to think the main 'man shalt not lie with man' bit is in that same chapter...so how come the flood didn't wash that one away?

Me having a female partner is really no big issue, I'd not said anything as it really didn't seem to matter. I'm still the same old me, I only mentioned it to try and get some insight into why my parents have such a problem with it. It's easier to ask detatched people than those I love.
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by di View Post
          I seem to think the main 'man shalt not lie with man' bit is in that same chapter...so how come the flood didn't wash that one away?
          Cos people get way more interested in what goes on in the bedroom than over a bacon sarnie?

Me having a female partner is really no big issue, I'd not said anything as it really didn't seem to matter. I'm still the same old me,
          Yep definitely the same purple haired, tree hugging hippy

Edited to say thanks for the hob nobs
          Last edited by FionaH; 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM.
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
            ... purple haired, tree hugging hippy
            Purple is my favourite colour
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

I love purple and turquoise just the same, I just couldn't choose

Comment

Originally posted by YFS View Post
                A marriage is between people of the opposite sex, so that they can have the stability to stay together and raise children. The law gives them rights over each other, because bringing up children is very important.
                So a mixed race marriage is just the same; two people of the same sex is different.
                You see I'd disagree totally with this statement. We didn't get married to raise children and would have stayed together without the marriage bit but are most definitely married, something we did because we loved each other and wanted to celebrate that in front of our friends and family. Surely that's exactly the same as any loving couple who want to commit?

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                I'd love to see the 'civil partnership' idea replace non-church marriage, for any couple regardless of the gender mix, then we wouldn't have questions about whther a one-gender relationship was MARRIAGE (which it isn't).
                My civil service was most definitely a marriage, it just didn't happen to happen in a church and I'd not want to feel that it had been down graded in any way. As I said above, we're definitely married and whilst to you it's not the same, to me I can't see any difference at all.

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                I suspect it might just be an age thing..... the other week, my mum came out with the most horrible, awful racist comment. Both my sister and I were really shocked and said so to her - we both have friends of different races and religions.
                Both my mum and MIL do that, it makes me and OH really annoyed, especially as it's mainly down to total ignorance (in their cases) as they believe too much of the hateful stories in the press. However, neither of them have any problem with an individual they have met and talked to, if they get on then they couldn't care less about their colour, sexuality etc etc etc.

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                Yep definitely the same purple haired, tree hugging hippy
                That's another thing I've just learnt about Di, didn't know she had purple hair either - I lose track of what colour mine is, sometimes have to look in the mirror to check!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Me and my hubby got married in a hut on the Scilly Isles on the spare of the moment ... it definately wasn't anything to do with wanting a stable environment to raise children as we both already decided we're not having any . I just loved him and to be honest we thought it would be nice! I found the whole thing highly amusing and had to really concentrate on not giggling.

A lot of people have expressed the opinion of why we bothered ..... no kids, I don't wear a ring, we didn't have a "do", I got married in combats and boots ( you get the picture ). I liked my £40 wedding and I don't really care what other people think or say.

For me the what comes afterwards bit is more important that the day itself, afterall that is just one day and it's the rest of your life bit that matters.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that if you love and respct someone then you should just be able to marry them ( or not if you don't fancy it) without fear of disaproval from anyone.
                  Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

oh the only really rubbish thing is that I now have a first name that rhymes with my second name.... can't have it all eh!
                    Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

• Out of interest...in France the Civil Ceremony is the compulsary place to get married- in the Mayor's building.
                      Then if you wish, after that you can then go and be 'married' in a Church- or other religeous building.
                      It's the Civil Ceromony which is the legal marriage and NOT the religeous one..

( no idea about single sex marriages over here though.)
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• what? piggle giggle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                          Wow this is serious! I'm not here to give an opinion. Love to you Di is all I came in to say
                          What Flo said

I love purple and turquoise just the same, I just couldn't choose
                          But I just gotta reply to this one ^^ if you are undecided on those colours do as we did in the 70's ............. wear cerise
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                            Here endeth the theological bit
                            What happened to amen?

Comment

• I didn't really concentrate on what Jeremy Vine was talking about yesterday, I only tend to turn it up when allotment blokey comes on.

Is it that the government are planning on making a civil ceremony available to same sex marriages, so that all the laws associated to marriage are accessible to same sex partnerships?

They aren't suggesting that religious establishments must carry out same sex marriages are they?
                              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                                But I just gotta reply to this one ^^ if you are undecided on those colours do as we did in the 70's ............. wear cerise
                                Nah, I just have them both...a purple top with turquoise underneath....I find cerise clashes with my cheeks on a hot day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X