New let's grow veg mag

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGoulston View Post
    If the cost really does include the seeds then I do not know why the mag can not just say, "seeds with full page instructions"
    Because then it would not be classed as a magazine and therefore not be displayed for sale on the magazine rack. (educated guess).
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      Whilst I agree things may have been worder better, 10 packets of various seeds and a set of detailed growing instructions would seem a very reasonble price.

I have just been through my catalogues and the cheapest seed I can find is £1-45 a packet.

Colin
      I think so too and although it's not for me, it must be somebody's bag.
      People when starting out do tend to try reliable F1 varieties and not the unknowns, in my opinion. So do some of the old timers. People don't always want or like change. If it has Beetroot Boltardy in it, so what? It grows well, tastes like beetroot and pickles like beetroot.
      Having seen one of these mags, I think Snadger and Colin's views are valid.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Again im asking you all to excuse my ignorance,cos im not as experenced as most of you,but Last year was my first year of GYO veg,and as i didnt want to spend a lot on seeds I went to our local Wilkos and payed about 60p to a £1 for my seeds and got a good result. I am finding I tend to buy a magazine with free seeds in,I get valuable advice and free seeds to.The latest GYO mag has 4 packets with it,nice one! Do any of you think the seed catalogue seeds,are better than wilkos?

Comment

Personally I don't think they'll be any better at all and the advantage you have with Wilko seeds is that you can buy the ones you want not the ones the mag wants. Obviously though you won't get the same level of advice and information if you just buy the seeds but you may not need that now if you managed OK last year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

should I mention that a well-known Allotment Man's vegetable book (hardcover) is available on his website for less than LGV and also with free seeds???
            (ducks as missile is launched from GYO/LGV editorial office)

Comment

in all fairness, the last GYO mag did save me buying Brussels sprouts seeds this year. Considering I will only plant 3-4 of them, I'm happy with that

Has anyone also noticed that the "free with postage" items tend to be a bit rubbish? I got two gooseberries from Dobies, neither was the advertised variety, and both are duds as far as training to a standard.

Comment

Yep, three raspberry canes for £12.99. Who the hell are they kidding?
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

As long as we live in a capitalist system, businesses will sell things to make a profit. We're lucky, this business also has a fantabulous free resource, that we all use every day We also all have the choice of whether to allow this business to make a small profit by buying their magazine, or not. Simples

Comment

If you make a small profit and your costs go up you go bust! Mo more mag!

Here's to GYO making a large profit and using it to grow it's own, employ more people, support charities and the community and pay more taxes.

Capitalism isn't necessarily a bad thing..........

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I think the point is that this is a "bookzine" Many publishers do these quarterly or annually. Quite different from a mag therefore different price points etc
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I have some Tesco Clubcard vouchers that expire soon so will probably buy LGV anyway

Comment

You all seem to be missing the point, at £7.99 for a magazine the seeds aren't free!!!

I don't care how good the advise is, or whether they are entitled to make a profit, they shouldn't word it in such a way that suggests the seeds are free when by their own admission they are not.

I want GYO to be as successful as the next man, but do so without underhand marketing, be above the nonsense.
                          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                            You all seem to be missing the point, at £7.99 for a magazine the seeds aren't free!!!

I don't care how good the advise is, or whether they are entitled to make a profit, they shouldn't word it in such a way that suggests the seeds are free when by their own admission they are not.

I want GYO to be as successful as the next man, but do so without underhand marketing, be above the nonsense.
                            Totally agree with this, lets look at another example. this mag: "build a solar system" Build a Model Solar System: Magazine (UK) used to be available. and it always said at the bottom, "plus with this issue - <name of part in it>"
                            Never mentioned it was free parts as obviously you had to fund them.
                            So you knew what you were paying for. its the "FREE" that is wrong, do not know why they can not just put "lets grow veg Magazine, plus with this issue seeds" or something.
                            Chilli Grower
                            mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
                            +----------------------------------+
                            | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
                            +----------------------------------+

Comment

Mikey, you've made that same point several times now. I'm sure GYO will take it on board, and consider whether to change the wording for any future issues.

Comment

I'm sorry Sarz, but when something gets my goat, its hard not to chew at it.

I'll refrain from making any further comment.
                                Last edited by Mikey; 13-01-2012, 12:04 PM.
                                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X