Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    AND the tomato seeds are Moneymaker -
    Didn't I spot that Moneymaker was not welcome on the Virtural Seed Swap? Or did I dream it? Grey matter is not what it was.
    Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
    Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

I think this is about the seventh edition. I bought one a long time ago and realised it's more suited to beginners. I've bought this one as a present for a friend who's just starting to grow veg because I think it's worth it for the seeds and advice.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by singleseeder View Post
        Didn't I spot that Moneymaker was not welcome on the Virtural Seed Swap? Or did I dream it? Grey matter is not what it was.
        Nah, I posted that I removed a couple of MM seeds before zaz bat me over the head with them - I was fearing for my own safety

Comment

At £7-99p for any mag is a rip off Then to say free seeds
          yeah right, next please

paul.
          Help Wildlife.
          Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

£8 is book money ~ it's aimed at the impulse buyer who fancies having a go, I think.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
              I'm sorry but that's just wrong, you can't say that the price reflects the free seeds. They are either free or they aren't! I find that quite abhorrent.
              What if you brought 10 packets of seeds and were offered a free published magazine on how to grow? I'm not saying I agree with the way magazines freebies are not actually "free", but for a beginners mag and 10 packets of seeds, its very attractive to the beginner because whilst they are a beginner in growing veg, they're almost certainly not a beginner in working out magazine prices. They know full well the £8 is for the magazine and seeds combined.
              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
                What if you brought 10 packets of seeds and were offered a free published magazine on how to grow? I'm not saying I agree with the way magazines freebies are not actually "free", but for a beginners mag and 10 packets of seeds, its very attractive to the beginner because whilst they are a beginner in growing veg, they're almost certainly not a beginner in working out magazine prices. They know full well the £8 is for the magazine and seeds combined.
                I do not agree with that, if something says it is free, it should be free. I would be hoping that the mag is priced at a price that represents the information inside it!

If the cost really does include the seeds then I do not know why the mag can not just say, "seeds with full page instructions" it does not have to mention they are free. It actually puts me off buying things if the "free" items are costed in the price of the item!

just look at all them collector mags, where you buy eg a geology mag and get a piece of rock with it, it does not say "free rock" because it is known that is all part of the mag!

Darren
                Chilli Grower
                mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
                +----------------------------------+
                | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
                +----------------------------------+

Comment

Are publishers becoming as bad as estate agents?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

No I don't think they are Newton, as if they were I would have been banned by now.

I think the approach by GYO in this case is dishonest, you cannot include something free if you are actually already paying for it. I'm not naive to think that it doesn't happen elsewhere because it does, but it doesn't make it right.

Bad practise GYO, please do the right thing and change this.
                    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                      I think the concept is flawed, in my first year full of enthusiasm I purchased seeds I wouldn't find on the supermarket shelves rather than those I would, such as Romanesco cauli, kohlrabi, chard, white beetroot the list goes on. I spent roughly £60 on seeds that year. D'oh.

To assume that someone starting out wants to do so by growing the normal looking items is a little naive in my opinion. Wouldn't they be better off seeing what the chefs are cooking on programmes and picking the most popular repeat items from those. For example tricoloured carrots, mixed salad leaves, and beef tomatoes.
                      Completely agree with you, Mike! I also started out spending a small fortune on unusual things, like Purple Haze Carrots, some funny little squash thingies, kohlrabi, purple sprouts (falstaff?)...list is endless!

£8 for a magazine?? Blimey I'd want a free tool for that at least!

Comment

For me I feel the same about when a mag says free plant /bush for all readers and then you find out that you have to pay £5.00 p&p. It is quite possible to pick up said plant/bush for that price or less. So it doesnt feel as if it is actually free.
                        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

The test of success of LGV magazine is whether enough people buy it. I see that only one edition is planned for this year - who knows how many there will be next year. Watch this space!

Comment

Whilst I agree things may have been worder better, 10 packets of various seeds and a set of detailed growing instructions would seem a very reasonble price.

I have just been through my catalogues and the cheapest seed I can find is £1-45 a packet.

Colin
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It may not be to everyones taste, but if its been proved in the past to supply a need and is reasonably profitable to the publishers I can't see a problem with it.

Some people jump from hobby to hobby and would relish a 'one hit wonder' supplying all they need, then after a while they could move on to there next taster hobby!

Hopefully it will start them on a lifelong interest in veg gardening though!
                              Last edited by Snadger; 12-01-2012, 07:08 PM.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                                I have just been through my catalogues and the cheapest seed I can find is £1-45 a packet.
                                Loads of my seeds cost less than that (although plenty cost more too).

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X