Should I go for it????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some fab ideas for me to follow up.

anyone have any ideas where i can source some nice pre-printed labels please?

Comment

Why do you want pre-printed? Why not print your own, they'll be much more specific (and you may have to include weights & measures info as well as ingredients)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Why do you want pre-printed? Why not print your own, they'll be much more specific (and you may have to include weights & measures info as well as ingredients)
        i find the ink always runs on any labels i do myself for some reason.....suggestions welcome!

and have 2 other suggestions for names - thoughts?

Brunton Baskets (cos i'll deliver via baskets)
        Laura's All Sorts (cos we have veg, lamb, eggs, chicken, preserves..)

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
          i find the ink always runs on any labels i do myself
          I seal mine with a piece of sticky back plastic (the sort you cover school books with)

Comment

I seal mine with a piece of sticky back plastic (the sort you cover school books with)
            ??? not sure what you mean - where would i get it from so i can look see what it is please?

Comment

You can get it at stationery shops, Wilko, Tesco, anywhere really. I cut it slightly larger than my label, wipe it on with a credit card to eliminate bubbles
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 30-01-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Just to say, thanks for your enthusiasm! My chap brought me a gorgeous book on preserving the other day which I have been eagerly reading but was feeling a bit intimidated by it! However, reading this thread has made me keen to dive in!

Also, think your proposed name and cookery classes are great. I recent brought a voucher for classes for my chap and was astounded at how difficult it was to find something high quality, accessible by public transport and reasonably priced!

Good luck with it all and if there is anything I can do to help just yell

Comment

You can get it at stationery shops, Wilko, Tesco, anywhere really. I cut it slightly larger than my label, wipe it on with a credit card to eliminate bubbles
                  Or write to Blue Peter!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hello - what a fab thread! I was pointed in this direction having just posted my own.

I'm doing exactly the same as you (only a different area so we won't be in competition)

From my research so far I'll see if I can provide any help. I got my jars from a place called Wares of Knutford (the cheapest I found on Google). They had all sorts of jar shapes and sizes and I got some lovely square shaped ones with gold lids.

Re: cost of your product, I did a bit of online research using friends on Twitter (so a variety of ages and from across the UK) and by forwarding it on to 'real world' friends and family who I got to forward it on to people they know. £3 seemed to be about what people were willing to pay with quite a few also saying £3.50. What was interesting was that people seemed willing to pay more for the chutney than for the jam. Some of the people who bought jam more often than chutney were willing to pay more around the £2/£2.50 mark.

If you Google FARMA and go to the website you an search for FARMA approved markets in your area. Now not all are FARMA approved so if there are any towns near you that you are sure have a farmers market but it doesn't show up, then try Googling the town name and farmers market or looking on the local council website.

I spoke to a lovely lady at Leicestershire Food Links the other day who was very helpful about the ones there. I have to fill in a form to register. For Leicestershire there is a £25 registration fee plus £25 charge/market you do. There are about 5 or 6 markets in the Leicestershire Food Links Group - I can probably go to about 3 of those as there are regulations on how far away from the market your food must be produced.

I have also looked into a local farmers market in a town in Northamptonshire. You have to register which is free and then it is £17/farmers market. I'm popping along to that one this weekend to take a look and see how good it is.

I also plan on trying to sell to local butchers, delis, organic shops, e.t.c...

The other things you will need to look into are registering your kitchen and public liability insurance. I have my kitchen inspection on Friday. I'm very nervous about this as I'm scared I'll fall at the first hurdle, so to speak! You may or may not also have to do a food hygiene course.

When I enquired with my council about registering my kitchen, they sent me this: http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd...ooklet0310.pdf

It outlines the basic guidelines but I found it quite vague as a lot seems to depend on what authority you are in. It may be different from you in Scotland anyway.

I hope some of that is of help.

Comment

Wow Thanks for starting this tread.

This is exactly what myself hubby and my Mum are thinking of doing this year. Maybe starting at boot fairs.
                      Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                      Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                      FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
                        Wow Thanks for starting this tread.

This is exactly what myself hubby and my Mum are thinking of doing this year. Maybe starting at boot fairs.
                        Seems there are a lot of us going for it! I hope it is a success for everyone.

Comment

Going back to scottishnewbie's question about labels - have a look at this website where you can download some for free (although I think they may be for personal use only) - at the very least it should give you some ideas. Print on sticky paper, cut or punch out and tar dar......!!!

World Label 2.5″ Round Label Giveaway and Free JSIM Label Designs | Just Something I Made

(Hope the link works - I'm not very good at this....)
                          Life's not always a party - but now that we're here, we might as well dance!

Comment

About 6years ago my daughter came to me with an idea she and a friend had for starting a small business making not preserves but tray bakes, flapjacks that sort of thing and would i lend them £500 to get started. I advised her against it but said I'd lend her the money if she still wanted to try.
                            They started in their home kitchens selling on the Internet and at farmers markets.
                            Now, 6years on, they have an industrial kitchen, employ 5 people and supply places like Waitrose, National Trust and upmarket coffee shops and cafe.

So if you have the energy and staying power go for it. You will always wonder if you dont. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerinthe View Post
                              About 6years ago my daughter came to me with an idea she and a friend had for starting a small business making not preserves but tray bakes, flapjacks that sort of thing and would i lend them £500 to get started. I advised her against it but said I'd lend her the money if she still wanted to try.
                              They started in their home kitchens selling on the Internet and at farmers markets.
                              Now, 6years on, they have an industrial kitchen, employ 5 people and supply places like Waitrose, National Trust and upmarket coffee shops and cafe.

So if you have the energy and staying power go for it. You will always wonder if you dont. Good luck.
                              That is a really encouraging post. I had a pretty awful last six months of last year and ended up unemployed. I've been unable to get another job since which is what has made me think I may as well give this a go. It's nice to see a post explaining how someone has made a real success of it.

My parents have lent me £500 to do this as well strangely - I'm hoping I won't need much more than that!

Do you know if your daughter has any hints or tips from her own experience of what worked and what didn't? Any advise I would be very grateful of.

Comment

Originally posted by lbr102 View Post
                                I have my kitchen inspection on Friday.
                                Good luck, and let us know how you get on. I think a few of us are cleaning out their kitchens as I type

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X