No announcement yet.

growing your own is it worth the effort

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing devil's advocate, Stella? Or are you really so negative about your gardening experience?
    I can't pretend to keep us in veggies, fruit and herbs year round and I'm sure we all fall foul of your list from time to time, but I do it primarily because I love growing things. Having my fingers in the soil, the sun on my back and the pleasure of watching plants grow is one of the highlights of my life.
    Is it worth it? Oh yes!

Comment

At this time of year, given the weather we are having - it's understandable to question why we do it! But come Spring, no not even that long away - come Boxing Day we will remember why we do it

I don't grow masses of veg at the moment, I am really struggling to 'love' this garden (another thread needed for this) but I couldn't be without gardening.

I've just been to check on my salad leaves in the greenhouse - Snowdrop says 'why are you growing them, such a small amount and salad isn't good in Winter'.... he isn't a gardener
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Growing your own is worth it if you enjoy it, if you start hating it, then find another hobby and do that instead.
        I don't subscribe to the thought that everyone should grow their own, if they enjoy it or not.
        Not everyone has to enjoy gardening, for every one of my friends I've got growing (alot now) one other has either tried and given up, or wouldn't think of it.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
          Growing your own is worth it if you enjoy it, if you start hating it, then find another hobby and do that instead.
          I don't subscribe to the thought that everyone should grow their own, if they enjoy it or not.
          Not everyone has to enjoy gardening, for every one of my friends I've got growing (alot now) one other has either tried and given up, or wouldn't think of it.
          Absolutely!
          It's a case of 'worth it if you like doing it'.
          Is any hobby 'worth the effort'? The only answer possible is 'yes if it is the right one for you'.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

IMHO, for what it's worth, is a most definite YES.

We are far from self-sufficient, but what we do gow is so spectacularly worth it.

We only have our garden (no lottie). We have a large greenhouse, and a smallish greenhouse.

In season the fresh veg we love are broad, climbing french and runner beans, petit pois peas.

In the greenhouses we grow tomatoes, chillies, peppers and aubergines. (With the latter three we have varying success.)

I think the biggest bonus of growing your own is the harvesting, You go out of your back door, you know there has been nothing noxious sprayed on the plants. What you pick is organic (although it could not be certified as such). You know you've not sprayed any chemicals on your crops.

We do grow fruit as well. Red/black and white currants. Blackberries. Bramley apples, and a Stella cherry.

Yep, it is worth growing your own. You know what chemicals (if any) you have used.

valmarg

Comment

Ah but what chemicals do you have to use on/in your body to repair the damage caused by all the hard work? In other words we bend nature to our needs and cause some extra stress to body just to pick some veg
              Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Stella, have your really injured yourself picking your veg? Or are you just playing at Devil's Advocaat?
                It sounds like growing your own isn't for you. So give it up, it's no big deal
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-12-2010, 08:44 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My allotment is a way of getting fit and staying healthy rather than causing a lot of damage. It's an added bonus to grow lovely things to eat!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Dont think I could give it up I have been doing it for years and it is a way of life. I am putting some words down that my non gardening friends have said to me (maybe over a glass of wine) that highlight the otherside and open it to discussion.

PS I have also worked in A&E and a lot of people do injure themselves as with other sport
                    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X