• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    apparently, he's "a really nice bloke"

!!
    He speaks very highly of you too!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      Whilst I can see some benefit in allowing unemployed people to do voluntary work, ...30 hours a week to keep their ... £65 a week.
      I found voluntary work extremely valuable when I was on the dole. It got me out of bed, dressed and out the house every day. I kept in touch with people, systems, technology ... it kept me going. If it's worthwhile work it gives you your self respect back.
      I was also offered a paid position because of it (it's work experience isn't it?

However I didn't declare my voluntary work to the DSS, because you weren't allowed to do voluntary work and keep your dole (because technically you aren't "available for work" if you are doing something other than sitting at home waiting for an interview)

(I also pick up litter - I don't think it's beneath me)

So long as this is approached from a position of helping and not punishing people, and it isn't used to replace lost council jobs ... I think it's a good thing.
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-11-2010, 08:22 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have been unemployed for 18 months .. does that make me a long term unemployed person? Having paid my taxes for 20+ years I do find it difficult to now be classed as the scum of society and the BIG problem with this country!! I am a hard working person who is stunned to find myself without a job and to be honest am struggling to understand what I can do other than just keep sending out the CV's. PLEASE don't dump all unemployed people in the same category as the chancers of this world who will never work... not even if they are forced too! We are the majority NOT the minority!
        I am allowed to do 15hrs a week of some kind of activity other than looking for work anything over that I am classed as not being available for work. This means I cannot do any training that takes me over the 15 hours so if I wanted for example, to do a 4 day training course which may help me get a job I can't!! I would suggest that rather than the bullying tactics they are applying to us "scroungers" across the board they bring in some better measure to enable the genuine job seakers stay productive. Maybe they could allow us to have "breaks" for a week or so to do such courses for example!

I have also seen leaflets in the job centre for volunteer work 2 days a week to help on environmental projects, helping clear the woods etc. So these projects are already there for those who wish to do them....

Comment

What a lot of melodrama.
          We all know people who don't want to work and those that would give their eye teeth to get a job.
          Quite how do you expect the govt. to tell the difference? The last time I looked, the lazy beggers didn't have it written on their faces!
          Apart from anything else, being unemployed is really boring so why not do something useful as well?

Comment

Originally posted by murphy99 View Post
            I have also seen leaflets in the job centre for volunteer work 2 days a week to help on environmental projects, helping clear the woods etc. So these projects are already there for those who wish to do them....
            There are a lot of voluntary positions that aren't advertised, you really have to use your noddle and be a bit proactive sometimes. For eg, volunteers to hear children read in schools (you'll need a CRB check done, but most schools are happy to pay for it); befriending the elderly; clearing litter off beaches; unpaid 'work experience' might be possible in almost any field?

I'd like to see Captains of Industry doing this type of work too mind.

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
            being unemployed is really boring so why not do something useful as well?
            Indeed. There's a big stigma for some people though, about doing manual or demeaning work. Society values charitable works on the whole, so people should be proud to 'give something back'
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              apparently, he's "a really nice bloke"
              How can he be? He's a Tory!
              Actually, I'll modify that: some Tories can be really nice blokes (or blokesses) at the personal level - I like Boris (who doesn't?), and I've got a soft spot for Edwina Vindaloo, especially since she stood up to be counted over equalising the age of consent for gays - but it's a pity about their politics.
              Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

What surprises me is why we are surprised that the current Tories are trying to do the 'who can be the biggest Tory and come out with the harshest statement before Christmas' thing.

They are Tories; what else did people expect?

Comment

For years Bubblewrap I worked all over the country and beyond living in digs, some good some bad but always away from home. So yes, been there got the tee shirt.

The people who this scheme is aimed at are those who have spent 9 out of the last 10 years on the dole, not those who have come unstuck due to the chaos happening now. Sarz picks up some very pertinent points about help and assistance and these do really need to be put into place and soon.

If the 500 000 or so long term unemployed had a cut off point where they had to do work to "give something back", would that not make those who had fallen into that culture think, blimey, if I have to do this for £65 a week I may as well do it for a proper wage, even if that is minimum wage.

Yes I know jobs are thin on the ground at the moment but slowly they will come back and if this system gets them filled by our own unemployed it may well dent our reliance on imported labour to do the jobs we think are below us.

Having said that, as a taxpayer I wonder if I could have my own unemployed person for a week or two as I have a few jobs need doing and would kill 2 birds with one stone?
                  Last edited by pigletwillie; 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

And before you squeal the last paragraph was very much tongue in cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                      Having said that, as a taxpayer I wonder if I could have my own unemployed person for a week or two as I have a few jobs need doing and would kill 2 birds with one stone?
                      I have an unemployed 17 year old living at home, when do you want him?
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post

Apart from anything else, being unemployed is really boring so why not do something useful as well?
                        I have an allotment.
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                          For years Bubblewrap I worked all over the country and beyond living in digs, some good some bad but always away from home. So yes, been there got the tee shirt.
                          One problem Piglet I have no qualifications so would only get low paid jobs it would not be possible to pay for digs and keep up my real home.
                          It,s all right when you can get £25+ an hour but try it on the minimum wage.(when "digs" can cost £25 a day B&B)
                          Last edited by bubblewrap; 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

I know of people without jobs who are desperately seeking work and I know many people who don't have a job, don't want one and complain that they are "not paid enough". I know of one person who refers to their benefits as their "wages"!
                            I do think that this is a good scheme for people who have got out of the habit of getting up in the morning and earning a living, it may just remind them that they are living off the backs of others who work all hours and maybe at a job they would rather not be doing but do it all the same and if anyone is offended by this remark, I was going to say sorry, but I'm really not.
                            I am more than happy to contribute to those who for whatever reason can't do a job of work but am very unhappy to support someone who won't get a job because the jobs going don't suit them or "it's not worth doing because I'll lose my benefits"
                            Right, I'm off my soap-box now and thinking very hard about whether to post this but I think I will.
                            Keeping my head down a bit though for flying flak!!

Comment

I was unemployed for three & a half years & applied for at least one job a week including bin man / litter picker(I'm not proud ).
                              Being in my late 50s it was nice to even get a rejection letter.
                              The joke shop gave very little help in my search for work & even stopped my meagre benefit(for 6 weeks) for "not trying" hard enough.
                              On pension credits now & no pompous snotty little pip squeak of a dole office clerk asking me stupid questions(No signing on)
                              Last edited by bubblewrap; 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

does anyone know what other countries are doing to solve similar problems of society??

are they also bulldozing through peoples lives, without offering any practical solutions?

is anyone suggesting that the banking bigwigs pick up litter to start paying for thier unjustifyable bonuses?

to my mind, most people who are out of work, and who would be a good employee, are probably already doing things to help themselves, such as taking care of thier children well, helping others volontarily, looking for work, improving skills etc. the ones who really don't make any effort, most probably have personality shortages which would most probably render them a liability in the workplace anyway. ( by that i mean surly, resentful, needing constant supervision and prodding, lack of practical and social skills) ( and i don't mean to be offensive or judgemental, but some people are not going to get umployed, because they wont be wanted because of these traits) therefore, far better to find schemes to reward people who want to help themselves , and which ultimately makes them better off, while solving some of our current problems.

those who really do sit on thier backsides and can't fro whatever reason, motivate themselves, have other problems which enforced labour is not going to help. counselling might, or training to a proper skill which has some financial reward might, but enforced slave labour is just going to make resentment, further feelings of worthlessness, and ultimately it is a waste of time and money to enforce. far better to employ some of the unemployed who have the practical skills, to captain workmaking schemes which solve some of the problems of housing, and which actually benefit the local area. setting up cooperatives, etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X