Do you suit your name?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
    This is a quote from Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors, about the name Susan. The first time I read it, I thought "You b*st*rd - you are so right!" .
    Ah but Susan goes on to save Santa and kicks some donkey....and a few bogeymen

Comment

"Susan . . . it wasn't a good name, was it? It wasn't a truly bad name like poor Iodine in the fourth form, or Nigella, a name which meant "oops, we wanted a boy." But it was dull. Susan. Sue. Good old Sue. It was a name that made sandwiches, kept its head in difficult circumstances, and could reliably look after other people's children.
      It was a name used by no queens or goddesses anywhere.
      And you couldn't do much even with the spelling. You could turn it into Suzi, and it sounded as though you danced on tables for a living. You could put in a Z and a couple of Ns and and E, but it still looked like a name with extensions built on. It was as bad as Sara, a name that cried out for a prosthetic H."

This is a quote from Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors, about the name Susan. The first time I read it, I thought "You b*st*rd - you are so right!" My given name is Susan and it suits me. These days if you are called Susan you are a woman of 'a certain age' - since it is no longer popular.
      I recognised the quote (emphatically my favourite author) and his ability to say something that is 'so right' is a large part of his charm.
      There is always the Welsh spelling, but my schoolfriend always got called "Swizan" instead of Siwsan.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
        Ah but Susan goes on to save Santa and kicks some donkey....and a few bogeymen
        Thanks Taff - that is a small comfort. Plus she is quite funny! And Hilary - if I spelled Siwsan like that NOBODY at work could cope ... I might try it

Comment

I dont mind my name(Jamie) but I would have preffered James, I also dont like the fact it is used as a girls name. I think the yanks may have started that, it is quite a common name in people slightly younger than myself but when I was named in 1971 I don't think it was as common. As to whether it suits me I guess it does as I know no different!
          http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

"Susan . . . it wasn't a good name, was it? It wasn't a truly bad name like poor Iodine in the fourth form, or Nigella, a name which meant "oops, we wanted a boy." But it was dull. Susan. Sue. Good old Sue. It was a name that made sandwiches, kept its head in difficult circumstances, and could reliably look after other people's children.
            It was a name used by no queens or goddesses anywhere.
            And you couldn't do much even with the spelling. You could turn it into Suzi, and it sounded as though you danced on tables for a living. You could put in a Z and a couple of Ns and and E, but it still looked like a name with extensions built on. It was as bad as Sara, a name that cried out for a prosthetic H."

This is a quote from Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors, about the name Susan. The first time I read it, I thought "You b*st*rd - you are so right!" My given name is Susan and it suits me. These days if you are called Susan you are a woman of 'a certain age' - since it is no longer popular.
            You'd get on well with my Sister. Her name is Susan, and she detests it - to the point that she won't answer to it!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I have never really liked my full name, Janice! I much prefer Jan as to me it is more friendly! I am quite a friendly person so much prefer my shortened version for that reason! However when I say to people my name is Jan, I nearly always end up being called Jannet which I dislike even more! GRrrr Why is it that lots of people asume instead of ask?? Some peeps even say oh Joan! Really do people even listen to your reply when they ask you your name?

It was only really my Mum & Dad or Aunts & Uncles that ever called me by my full name, even my sister now and then. Whenever I hear someone call me by my full name, it reminds me of when Mum or Dad was a bit cross with me if I had missbehaved a bit when I was young, I would hear the call of "JANICE" ringing in my ears! LOL
              Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                You'd get on well with my Sister. Her name is Susan, and she detests it - to the point that she won't answer to it!
                G4 I like your Sisters Style, she is a woman after my own heart, BIG UP TO HERE! I also will not answer to my full name, especially if peps are using it to wind me up! The lads I used to work with would often try to wind me up by use of my full name! In the end the last laugh was on me because when they really did want something work related done, I would not do it untill they said sorry or at least reverted to calling me Jan! Oh yeah by the way, Jane is another name peeps sometimes mistakenly call me, actually out of all the names I get called instead of Jan, I do not mind Jane so much! Still I often wonder how one tiny 3 letter name can cause so much confusion??? My Sisters name is also Susan! Smile!!
                Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm Caroline. So that makes me a posh, tall, willowy, blond girl. Well, one out of four will need to do

Oh. And don't call me Caz
                  Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
                    I'm Caroline. So that makes me a posh, tall, willowy, blond girl. Well, one out of four will need to do

Oh. And don't call me Caz
                    Why not, it's better than Jane.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I do know someone who suits, not so much her full name but the version her father often uses. My Daughter-in-law is called Joana, but her Dad usually calls her Joy, and she is a real joy to know!
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I have no doubts that this will be Googleable (is that a verb these days?) but I have something in my head that tells me that the referee for the first ever F.A. Cup Final was called Mr. Bastard.
                        I'm sure that was a name that suited as well.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Mr Bastard was the 5th. here's the first 20 years or so...

Year Referee
                          1872 Alfred Stair
                          1873 Alfred Stair
                          1874 Alfred Stair
                          1875 Charles Alcock
                          1876 W.S. Rawson
                          1877 S. H. Wright
                          1878 Segar Bastard
                          1879 Charles Alcock
                          1880 Francis Marindin
                          1881 William Pierce Dix
                          1882 Charles Clegg
                          1883 Francis Marindin
                          1884 Francis Marindin
                          1885 Francis Marindin
                          1886 Francis Marindin
                          1887 Francis Marindin
                          1888 Francis Marindin
                          1889 Francis Marindin
                          1890 Francis Marindin
                          1891 Charlie Hughes
                          1892 Charles Clegg
                          Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Well with a name like Rowena I was always destined to have people going "eh?" when they asked my name.
                            I get asked if its foreign and where I am from (Derby born and bred) and where my Mother got the name from.
                            Its from Walter Scotts novel Ivanhoe and is the name of a Lady (pfffft...nope doesn't suit me at all).Mum used to watch the programme on telly way back when the lead was played by Roger Moore who my Mum had a crush on..hence my name.
                            Walter Scott was trying to recall a welsh name that he had once heard but couldn't and Rowena was the closest he could get when he was writing his book.
                            It should really have been Rhonwen meaning slender and fair....or white skirt !!!!! Well I was slender once upon a long time ago and fair minded I may be but fair haired I am not...more mousy really...as for a white skirt ..well I do own one but its not very practical and I am nothing if not practical
                            My Australian friends think my name is hysterical because in their baby names dictionary it means white bosoms...hmmm no comment....but due to the lack of sunshine on them it probably is pretty accurate.
                            Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

I only ever got called Judith by my parents (generally when I was in trouble!) Dad used to call me Judiliz (middle name Elizabeth). I was Jo at school (after Josephine Beauharnais, don't ask!) and at work I was generally called Judi, DEFINITELY with an "i" NOT a "Y". As I giggle like Judi Dench I can put up with it.
                              Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

My surname suggests I should always be in debt, fortunately I never have been. My father used to say "I may have been born (owing money) and I may die (owing money) but whilst I'm alive I shall pay my way along". A philosophy I always try to live by.
                                The cats' valet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X