No announcement yet.

Do you suit your name?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ever envisage someone called Brenda I see a well built, somewhat stocky woman of a certain age with fair hair. That describes me so you could say I suit my name.
    When I was small I saw a photo of a prize winning Guernsey cow. Her name was Brenda and I have hated the name ever since.

Comment

I get called Rhonda, Rowan, Ronan (why?), Rosie (by my sisters) and Roz (sister again). I like having a slightly unusual name though - I've only ever met one other Rhona.

Like Ali-Bongo says (sorry Alison, made me laugh) my name suits me 'cos that's who I am and I'm used to it. Apparently, Celtic meaning is dark and stormy or rough island.

I wanted to be called Liesl Carlotta Van Helsing when I was a child. Thought it was beautiful, I did.
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

My married name is Gill Hill - how awful seeing as I used to find it funny that I worked withs someone called Mavis Davis.
        Gill
        So long and thanks for all the fish....

http://photographywidow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hilary (with 1 L) has a meaning something to do with happiness. I reckon I am happy most of the time, so that suits me.
          It's one of the few that is totally traditional in exactly the same form for either gender (although a lot of people spell it with 2 Ls for a girl).
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Trouble with the neme Fiona is that it conjours images of posh birds, living in the home counties riding horses......................hang on a sec...........oooops

I'm not posh though as you have probably guessed by now
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post

I'm not posh though as you have probably guessed by now
              ..there you go again denying your roots
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                ..there you go again denying your roots
                Are you abbreviated to Fye or Fee?

Yup, I'm still nosey!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                  Are you abbreviated to Fye or Fee?

Yup, I'm still nosey!
                  Naah, but some of us like to call her FiFi don't we

(yes, I know...off to the Norty Step)
                  Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 23-07-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

FiFi!! xxx (oh i've been binned!)

Binley really does Know best!
                    G4-Meteorological mastermind! Stone/String it's all covered!
                    Jeanied- Makes your day complete!!
                    PB- Masteress of Pumpkins!

I Don't Know who Dave is...But he's one cool Dude!
                    I Once was a Tuber but with a little practice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                      Naah, but some of us like to call her FiFi don't we

(yes, I know...off to the Norty Step)
                      Yes, we do! But some folk don't like nicknames. Mind you, it was her fault for tellin' us in the first place!

I HATE my name; it's boring, and rhymes with pain and plain and drain. I am the first (in the arris), probably the second (too lazy to dress up), and Mr. G. would say I'm definitely the third (on his wallet) - so I best shut up! LOL

I know a really, really, truly awful person with the same name. I also know several really lovely people with the same name, but usually the name reminds me of the awful one!

Comment

LOL at you lot, I am Fi (Fee). I hate Fifi cos it reminds me of a poodle or a french tart

(this has been discussed to death on the chat thread)

To be honest you can call me what you like as long as it's not 6 in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                          LOL at you lot, I am Fi (Fee). I hate Fifi cos it reminds me of a poodle or a french tart

(this has been discussed to death on the chat thread)

To be honest you can call me what you like as long as it's not 6 in the morning
                          I used to work with a guy who said;
                          "You can call me what ya like, but not too late fer me Dinner!!"

Comment

From the Wiki page - Robin common name in France also used as a surname in France add that to a surname of Devereux and I guess they are correct! "Bonne nuit!"
                            http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

"Susan . . . it wasn't a good name, was it? It wasn't a truly bad name like poor Iodine in the fourth form, or Nigella, a name which meant "oops, we wanted a boy." But it was dull. Susan. Sue. Good old Sue. It was a name that made sandwiches, kept its head in difficult circumstances, and could reliably look after other people's children.
                              It was a name used by no queens or goddesses anywhere.
                              And you couldn't do much even with the spelling. You could turn it into Suzi, and it sounded as though you danced on tables for a living. You could put in a Z and a couple of Ns and and E, but it still looked like a name with extensions built on. It was as bad as Sara, a name that cried out for a prosthetic H."

This is a quote from Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors, about the name Susan. The first time I read it, I thought "You b*st*rd - you are so right!" My given name is Susan and it suits me. These days if you are called Susan you are a woman of 'a certain age' - since it is no longer popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                                I used to work with a guy who said;
                                "You can call me what ya like, but not too late fer me Dinner!!"
                                Did you work with my Dad?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X