X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to move on

Comment

Originally posted by miffy
      It will not be easy particularly travelling and missing little Bean but even if you do it for a couple of years until you know what you want to do next and have the experience and contacts made that will come with this new post I think you should go for it.
      Although you will never get that time with your son back again so it depends on how much time you are willing to miss. Personally I made a consious decision last time I changed jobs to be very close to home so that I had more time to do the things I love and that doesn't include any small people. I know that if I can't get my destress up the lottie etc or seeing friends then I'm a pretty grotty person to live with and whilst I wouldn't want to do a job I hated or that didn't offer me some challenges my life outside of work is too important to compromise upon. Basically I work to live not the other way around but different people sit at different point on this scale.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Get the new job offer in writing, negotiate a settlement deal with your current employer and go for it.

The UK economy is screwed, it might be ages before you get a job, an IT mate of mine hasn't had an interview in over a year, thats how crap things are at the moment.

Unless of course you fancy a break from things?

No company will ever be as loyal as you are expected to be to them.

Comment

i am thinking along the same lines as nicos and others. .. sometimes life has a way of handing us what we need or are ready for , even if we arent quite sure ourselves. when we are in a situation where we arent happy or fulfiilled, nothing can change unless we let it change, so sometimes we just have to go with the flow, and trust that when every thing settles into a new pattern, it will be the right pattern for us to be in. the only thing is that the new job, if it comes off, sounds like it could have a lot of stress ie all that extra driving and rushing about. but if you give it a go, or stay where you are for the time being, i think it would be a good idea to look around for a different way of employment all together, as niether the situation you are in jobwise, or this new potential offer, seems totally ideal for you. could you not set up as self employed, and work part-time too?

Comment

My OH has a role that involves often being away 3 or more nights a week, but then also spends a lot of time working from home.

Now, while you have to work while you're working from home, it's brilliant for giving you so much more home/family time. Lunchtimes can be spent eating together, you can pop out into the garden for a while, and you can be much more flexible with your time. I would imagine, for example, you could spend quality time with bean, and then make up for it when he's in the bath/bed. You don't get that option when you're having to put in "face time" at the office!

Good luck, whichever way. Personally, I think you should jump ship, but get a package before you do!
            Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

I think you just have to ask yourself 'What would Vedder do?'

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                I think you just have to ask yourself 'What would Vedder do?'
                He'd light up an American Spirit, strap on an acoustic and pen some magical verse.

I don't do any of those things either.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Oh well, the decision's just been made for me.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Oh no... does that mean what I think it means?

Hope you're ok.
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

It does indeed - but I'm cool with it. Not been happy here for a while, and hopefully have something lined up (just messaging as we type on the matter).

FD (and standin MD) was 'floored' by the decision apparently...

Quite a few sad and shocked faces - but mine's not one of them.

I can 'appeal' the decision apparently. FD was dreading the meeting - said he thought it would be the hardest, so did mine first. Thanked me for being so good about it - he was surprised at how well I reacted.

Talking to my "offer" dude, will report back when I have news.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Coming from the sharp end of the stick, I won't offer advice as my life is a bit 'tatty' at the moment but have been watching this thread and was glad you had a potential offer in your current predicament.

I hope it turns into a real position soon - it will give you a bit of breathing space if nothing else!!

(sighs and buries my self up to neck in job applications yet again).

Comment

Are you getting a redundancy package? Hope so! Good luck for the new position.. as you say, perhaps it's the wake up call needed?

Comment

All the Best Wayne...fingers firmly crossed you get the right job for you.{{{{x}}}}
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Best of luck with the redundency package and the new job offer

Comment

Redundancy package confirmed, quite touching emails coming in from international colleagues (touching indeed).

Chat had with potential new boss.

Now just need to get clarification of my save as you earn package and we're about set...

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X