WORLD CUP (There, I've done it)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Plot10 View Post
    It's only a game after all and when the chips are really down, the Brits all muck in together, Dunkirk spirit and all that.
    'ere 'ere.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
      Football players are a bunch of overpaid, over-rated bunch of street thugs with the morals of an alley cat.
      I completely agree....no matter where they are from or who they play for...

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
        I completely agree....no matter where they are from or who they play for...
        A very diplomatic answer Mac...well done.......
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I'll +1 that!

Comment

I lived in England during the 98 & 2002 World Cups and they take it soooooooooo seriously.
            We take it so seriously because we actually have a chance of staying there long enough for our postcards to get home.

I support England because I am English, not British, French or anything else. As soon as England get kicked out I wont watch another match, as I will no longer have an interest.
            On a personal level, I simply dont understand how someone from a country could support another country in a sporting contest.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
              On a personal level, I simply dont understand how someone from a country could support another country in a sporting contest.
              I'm not sure I fully agree Bob, I will be shouting for Andy Murray @ wimbledon........now is he Scottish or British.

Comment

Scottish quite clearly after his comments about England's footy team. And I wont be, as he isnt English.
                Perhaps a bit jingoistic, but I'm an Englishman. I support British athletes in the Olympics, as the team travel as Great Britain, but when its a sport down to individual national levels, I'm English and am only interested in the English representatives.

That was a bit tongue in cheek, if you read my original line I did say "country" not individuals. It would be great if Andy Murray won Wimbledon, and I will obviously be cheering for him, as much as I cheered watching Liz Lynch (McGolgan) winning the London Marathon, and suffered heartbreak when Steve Jones failed gloriously to win the Olympic Marathon a few years ago.
                Last edited by bobleponge; 11-06-2010, 12:28 PM. Reason: Cos
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I'm English and am only interested in the English representatives.
                  Nothing wrong in that, I'm all for jingoism in the right context, my gripe about my former colleagues is exactly what you said earlier, why expect someone from another country to support yours? As if they care what the Scots think anyway. (Sorry, this is bringing out a lot of suppressed tounge biting from 8 years ago)

On a related note what's this I hear about Councils in England are not allowing people to put up flags in their garden (the George cross I take it). - why the blazes not?

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
                    Part of the title is Waka Waka, a "n" in the middle makes all the difference (perhaps it their accents)
                    That'll be this guy.

A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I don't care who wins, nor do I care who is playing!

I shall probably sit down with a book whilst Mr OWG watches the match, then I'll fall asleep in the first chapter or so, and miss the whole caboodle!

I'm quite looking forward to the match on 23rd, as most of our office are going to the pub - I'm looking forward to a nice quiet afternoon in the office!!

Comment

Well thats me all showered and changed into my England shirt. I'm now down to the Cafe Gambatta, in the Place of the same name, down town Oran, to watch the first 2 matches surrounded by thousands of locals in their shirts. Think I may watch next weeks match at home, bit safer.
                        Bob Leponge

Comment

On a related note what's this I hear about Councils in England are not allowing people to put up flags in their garden (the George cross I take it). - why the blazes not?
                          It'll most likely be the same fools that put on facebook that pubs in England would not allow fans in that are wearing football shirts which of course is utter rubbish. I think it is council vehicles that are not allowed to fly the flags.
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Well thats me all showered and changed into my England shirt. I'm now down to the Cafe Gambatta, in the Place of the same name, down town Oran, to watch the first 2 matches surrounded by thousands of locals in their shirts. Think I may watch next weeks match at home, bit safer.
                            Good on ya Bob, there is something special about being abroad during these tournaments. I was in Greece during the 2008 euro, it was great.

Comment

Just before I leave, I watched Desmond Tutu last night at the Welcome concert. When you consider that it was only 18 years ago that apartheid was abolished, to hear him saying "I must be dreaming, I am dreaming" I choked up. A moment I will remember forever I think.
                              Bob Leponge

Comment

It certainly puts things into perspective. Congrats to RSA on gaining their first point.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X