No announcement yet.

WORLD CUP (There, I've done it)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in a football club I can't really avoid this tournament thingy! Luckily I got Engerland in the sweep, so will now be slightly happy either way (may not be saying this is 44 years time "in 2010 blah blah blah"....(as in "in 1966 blah blah blah.....).

sits back and waits for "Scots are all jealous" etc... comments.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
      sits back and waits for "Scots are all jealous" etc... comments.....
      Not at all Mac, it is too be expected........wife says it is down to some battle that went on a few hundred years ago but a thing that's a long time to hold a grudge............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Well, I'm obviously rooting for England - I've got the Viz magazine 'Come On England!' poster in my front window - but I've got £3 riding on Chile, drawn in a sweepstake at work, and another £3, in another sweepstake, riding on the U.S.A.
        The only previous time I've taken part in a sweepstake was many years ago, on the Grand National. I looked up the horse I'd drawn in a newspaper guide, and the expert's comment on it was "I would only back this horse if I drew it in a sweepstake". Needless to say, it came nowhere. It was the sort of horse that might finish first in the 3:15 if it was entered in the 2:30, but not otherwise.
        Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Here is a more in depth schedule.

FIFA.com - The matches of 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I wrote and re-wrote my answer to explain why I make this decision,but it sounded like a rant which it shouldn't have so the simple answer is

- No I will not be supporting England

I would love it if one of the underdogs win and shock everybody

Comment

in our house we have myself and youngest supporting England, whilst OH is being patriotic and supporting Slovakia, middle daughter has sided with her for some reason.

we were in Bratislava a couple of weeks ago and the level of excitment for the team in the world cup was, putting it bluntly non-existent, in the whole city i saw one shop that sold footy shirts, and even they were not in the window. ??

I got Denmark in the sweep at work, so am not planing on where to spend my winnings too seriously.
              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
              Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by swansea girl View Post
                I would love it if one of the underdogs win and shock everybody
                That'll be England then.............

Comment

Would you Adam & Eve it?..........just had an e-mail from Mrs BM saying she is going to Scotland in 2 weeks to visit the outlaws & is gonna take the flag off the car.......what a cheek.......

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Ah- so that's today then??

..sooner than I realised!

I see a lot of the matches are in the evening- presumably when it's cooler.
                    Bet it's going to be incrediably hot for the afternoon matches

Anyone know the temperatures the guys are expecting to play in???
                    I think it's cold over there at this time of year Nicos, but there is still an altitude problem. I'm sure the knowledgable men-footie-folk on here can confirm.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      I think it's cold over there at this time of year Nicos, but there is still an altitude problem. I'm sure the knowledgable men-footie-folk on here can confirm.
                      You know your stuff FF but heres some interesting facts.

Altitude problems could ruin England's hopes of World Cup glory, claims ex-Manchester Utd star Gary Bailey - The Daily Record

Comment

I know there are several knowledgeable laydee-footie-folk on here who can confirm too Flo.
                        Some stadiums up in the Veldt will have altitude issues, but others, Cape Town for example is almost at sea level. Its a warm afternoon there currently (having seen the coverage this afternoon) and is forecast to remain temperate for at least the next week, which will help the European teams a bit.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Nope I will not be supporting the England football team - no way, no how, no chance I would support the English Rugby team. Football players are a bunch of overpaid, over-rated bunch of street thugs with the morals of an alley cat.
                          Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                            Football players are a bunch of overpaid, over-rated bunch of street thugs with the morals of an alley cat.

RUN!!!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Seen plenty ABE T-shirts up here but I bought my son one the other day that says Scotland World Champions 1967. (OK - unofficially).

I lived in England during the 98 & 2002 World Cups and they take it soooooooooo seriously. I worked for one of the England sponsors during 2002 and staff were even allowed to come in late when England were playing.

I don't think Scots take it so seriously and support other teams simply because it winds the English up so much (one national sport we're good at). I worked with people who took reports of Scots (in Scotland) walking around in Argentina tops as a personal affront.

I asked one of those people, who was married to an Irishman, wasn't it a shame that the ROI (not even in England's group) got knocked out and she replied "Not really, I don't care about anyone but England".

So much for supporting the neighbours, I thought, bring on Argentina.

It's only a game after all and when the chips are really down, the Brits all muck in together, Dunkirk spirit and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                                Football players are a bunch of overpaid, over-rated bunch of street thugs with the morals of an alley cat.
                                Now we are getting somewhere............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X